OT: Southsiders treated horribly at Canucks-Wild Game

AmazingNuck

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
The thing is, what's "appropriate" is totally subjective. In Regina, Winnipeg, Montreal, all NFL stadia and all European football stadia, making ridiculous amounts of noise is "appropriate". It just so happens that these places have amazing crowd atmospheres.

Just because Vancouver has an abundance of people who prefer to watch a game in awkward silence, does not mean that it is the accepted norm. In fact in the world of sports it is the exception, and the reputation of terrible crowds in Vancouver reflect this. Don't mistake your own opinion for objectivity.

Ah, I see where you are coming from. Then yes, I agree that Vancouver is much different than the rest of the sports world. My comments should be taken within the context of the Vancouver culture.

*Injektilo

Dec 19, 2005
Vancouver
I have yet to meet any fan, those that even prefer quiet that are bothered by the crowd cheering a hit, goal or even a chance.

It's the stuff in between, the drunken yelling, lets do the wave etc... that i'm not a fan of.

I spoke on the context of excessive noise-making, such as the drunken or excessive yelling. I enjoy the crowd noise when it's appropriate.

What amuses me at this point is how posters are either talking past each other, or interpret the videos I posted earlier in a completely different way. I'm still trying to understand which is it. So would you say the Southsiders were doing "drunken, excessive yelling", or not?

And I'll post the videos again below, and ask you: do you consider these to be drunken, excessive yelling?

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The thing is, what's "appropriate" is totally subjective. In Regina, Winnipeg, Montreal, all NFL stadia and all European football stadia, making ridiculous amounts of noise is "appropriate". It just so happens that these places have amazing crowd atmospheres.

Just because Vancouver has an abundance of people who prefer to watch a game in awkward silence, does not mean that it is the accepted norm. In fact in the world of sports it is the exception, and the reputation of terrible crowds in Vancouver reflect this. Don't mistake your own opinion for objectivity.
Why should the accepted norm in "the world of sports" be considered "objective" but not the accepted norm in Vancouver?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
What amuses me at this point is how posters are either talking past each other, or interpret the videos I posted earlier in a completely different way. I'm still trying to understand which is it. So would you say the Southsiders were doing "drunken, excessive yelling", or not?

And I'll post the videos again below, and ask you: do you consider these to be drunken, excessive yelling?

First of all, what reason is there to believe that a few half-minute clips are representative of a group of people's behavior every time they appear at a game and a completely seperate event? How can you know if in this isolated incident, they didn't go off the rails a bit?

Regardless, we can't really know for sure or speculate what actually happened that caused them to be snuffed out, but we can speculate what we think about all the different scenarios. If they went too far, if they were just cheering normally, etc.

Has anyone even implied that the "Southsiders" WERE the drunken loud-mouths in question? I don't think they're even related to the discussion anymore-- it's a broader topic now about making noise and being quiet in general.

Last edited:

*Injektilo

Dec 19, 2005
Vancouver
First of all, what reason is there to believe that a few half-minute clips are representative of a group of people's behavior every time they appear at a game and a completely seperate event? How can you know if in this isolated incident, they didn't go off the rails a bit?

Regardless, we can't really know for sure or speculate what actually happened that caused them to be snuffed out, but we can speculate what we think about all the different scenarios. If they went too far, if they were just cheering normally, etc.

I don't know how to respond here. You're asking me to prove a negative. You might as well ask proof that they don't bathe in the blood of newborn puppies as soon as the videos end. Let me ask you, what's with the use of fearmongering to throw red herrings? If you ever go to a Whitecaps game, this type of atmosphere occurs all game long, and it never turns to violent or racist incidents. So why is that even brought up?

Has anyone even implied that the "Southsiders" WERE the drunken loud-mouths in question? I don't think they're even related to the discussion anymore-- it's a broader topic now about making noise and being quiet in general.

Did you read the posts I quoted?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't know how to respond here. You're asking me to prove a negative. You might as well ask proof that they don't bathe in the blood of newborn puppies as soon as the videos end. Let me ask you, what's with the use of fearmongering to throw red herrings? If you ever go to a Whitecaps game, this type of atmosphere occurs all game long, and it never turns to violent or racist incidents. So why is that even brought up?

Did you read the posts I quoted?
I'm not asking you to prove the contrary or anything else-- I just don't think the clips you're posting are evidence of what you're saying either.

These posts?

Originally Posted by LiquidSnake
I have yet to meet any fan, those that even prefer quiet that are bothered by the crowd cheering a hit, goal or even a chance.

It's the stuff in between, the drunken yelling, lets do the wave etc... that i'm not a fan of.

Originally Posted by AmazingNuck
I spoke on the context of excessive noise-making, such as the drunken or excessive yelling. I enjoy the crowd noise when it's appropriate.

They don't read like they're making direct reference to the Southsiders at all.

Last edited:

the beat

cursum perficio
Mar 5, 2011
canmore/sask
Why should the accepted norm in "the world of sports" be considered "objective" but not the accepted norm in Vancouver?

Um, what? As we can see from the poll, it's not even the accepted norm in Vancouver. Please just stop, you're not gaining any ground and you're using faulty logic.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Um, what? As we can see from the poll, it's not even the accepted norm in Vancouver. Please just stop, you're not gaining any ground and you're using faulty logic.
What I mean is, you can't have it both ways. If it's a minority of people we're talking about, then it shouldn't be enough to affect the atmosphere/mentality of Roger's arena to be worth complaining about. If it's a large enough group of people to make the atmosphere pathetic, then it becomes the social norm that's appropriate and accepted.

the beat

cursum perficio
Mar 5, 2011
canmore/sask
What I mean is, you can't have it both ways. If it's a minority of people we're talking about, then it shouldn't be enough to affect the atmosphere/mentality of Roger's arena to be worth complaining about. If it's a large enough group of people to make the atmosphere pathetic, then it becomes the social norm that's appropriate and accepted.

Fair enough. I just don't understand the seemingly large gap between the people who make up the poll and the crowd at Roger's Arena. From the looks of it here, most people appreciate a good, loud crowd. But for whatever reason, that hardly seems to be the case for ticket buyers.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Fair enough. I just don't understand the seemingly large gap between the people who make up the poll and the crowd at Roger's Arena. From the looks of it here, most people appreciate a good, loud crowd. But for whatever reason, that hardly seems to be the case for ticket buyers.
I think that might point to a flaw in your theory that "the mentality people have in this thread says alot about why Rogers arena is so quiet", personally.

The guys at Rogers arena creating a crappy atmosphere most likely are not the same guys in this thread admitting that they don't care for the crowd experience, and people who post on this board are definitely not representative of the average ticket-buying customer.

Also, the poll is far too black and white. "I would like Rogers Arena to have a quiet to zero noise atmosphere"-- Who the hell would vote for that?

Last edited:

the beat

cursum perficio
Mar 5, 2011
canmore/sask
I think that might point to your theory that "the mentality people have in this thread says alot about why Rogers arena is so quiet" being flawed, personally.

The guys at Rogers arena creating a crappy atmosphere most likely are not the same guys in this thread admitting that they don't care for the crowd experience, and people who post on this board are definitely not representative of the average ticket-buying customer.

I think there's something to the idea of uncaring rich corporate types ruining the experience, personally.

Probably a bit of that. Also, from my experience in living in Vancouver it probably does a lot to do with the industrial powered pot out there. That stuff will leave anyone frozen in silent paranoia.

*Injektilo

Dec 19, 2005
Vancouver
I'm not asking you to prove the contrary or anything else-- I just don't think the clips you're posting are evidence of what you're saying either.

You don't think chants can be good natured?

Ok.

These posts?

Originally Posted by LiquidSnake

Originally Posted by AmazingNuck

They don't read like they're making direct reference to the Southsiders at all.

So you're either saying they're posting out of topic, or they're building straw men.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
You don't think chants can be good natured?

Ok.

So you're either saying they're posting out of topic, or they're building straw men.
What? I'm saying that your videos don't actually support that The Southsiders didn't do anything wrong that would reasonably illicit people to tell them to shut up in this particular instance. You showed them being good natured in some instances. I'm not saying you need to do the impossible task of proving that they were good natured in this instance, but so what? It doesn't shed light on what happened or whether or not their treatment was fair either way. It's a directionless topic because every relevant fact is a complete question-mark.

As for the second point, I think the original topic, speculating about what the Southsiders did/how they were treated is totally fruitless and barren, and that the thread's topic has evolved into something broader. If you have to be anal about this sort of thing, then yes, absolutely, everyone's posting out of topic and the discussion's only tangentially related to the Southsiders thing. The topic is no longer the Southsiders but the fan/crowd noise-making mentality and atmosphere in general.

Last edited:

the beat

cursum perficio
Mar 5, 2011
canmore/sask
God, it's almost awkward to listen to it in there. Complete silence. I don't even know you could get a crowd to be so quiet, it's unbelievable!

Apple Juice

Oct 13, 2008
Vancouver
I'd rather have a loud arena to get our boys some energy, and some excitement rather than having a quiet arena. My God, its so quiet, even the crowd at peewee hockey games are much louder than what 18,000+ can do in one game. Its a joke.

I'd much rather watch a game in the United Center or TD Garden wearing my Canucks gear, as dangerous as that is, than watching at Rogers Arena. Complete joke.

StringerBell

Seems the Canucks organization is fulling on board and cooperating to make sure everything goes smoothly.

Thank God.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
This thread title still makes me laugh, it sounds so whiny.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Oh those poor Southsiders

witchhunt.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad