OT: Southsiders treated horribly at Canucks-Wild Game

JBIZ14

Nov 22, 2007
Lethbridge
Cheering after something happens is fine but fairly condescending...a home crowd should provide energy so the players feed off it and succeed...they dont need you to cheer after they do things...they know they did it they were there too.

Energy is created throw motion and vocals..it doesnt matter why or what is being chanted its about the atmosphere and buzz it creates for the players.

JBIZ14

Nov 22, 2007
Lethbridge
If you have money to buy a ticket, you have a right to watch it quietly if you want in the arena.

You say "Canucks fans are doing it wrong" and use arguing from ignorance in the same post. Interesting.
Ask the players what they would prefer...you have every right to be quiet...its just not helping the team at all...so to me those fans are doing it wrong.

If you are a fan of a team and want them to well and they tell you as players they prefer loud support from the fans why would you sit there and not do what is best for the team?

Theres a reason no team dreads coming to play in Vancouver.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Cheering after something happens is fine but fairly condescending...a home crowd should provide energy so the players feed off it and succeed...they dont need you to cheer after they do things...they know they did it they were there too.

Energy is created throw motion and vocals..it doesnt matter why or what is being chanted its about the atmosphere and buzz it creates for the players.
Are you kidding me? Cheerin after something happens is a natural emotion.

The condescending part here is idiots in the crowd trying to get you to cheer when you want them to.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Ask the players what they would prefer...you have every right to be quiet...its just not helping the team at all...so to me those fans are doing it wrong.

If you are a fan of a team and want them to well and they tell you as players they prefer loud support from the fans why would you sit there and not do what is best for the team?

Theres a reason no team dreads coming to play in Vancouver.
Yes. Damn. The Canucks losin all those home games is the fault of the fans. :laugh:

So how do you explain the Jets fans being so loud last season and them still sucking?

Based on your logic, that should help the team.

RezChi

Feb 24, 2013
Vancouver
Yes. Damn. The Canucks losin all those home games is the fault of the fans. :laugh:

So how do you explain the Jets fans being so loud last season and them still sucking?

They would be sucking more without their loud fans ;)

LongRoad

Jan 5, 2005

Ridiculous straw man. Nobody suggested it overrules factors like lineup quality. Just because it isn't the sole factor doesn't prevent it from being a factor. Home field advantage, for many reasons, is recognized as a significant benefit. In the BPL home teams score 37% more goals than away teams. Vancouver was a record haul for our Olympic team. Crowds are only one part of that, sure, but they're certainly in the equation.

I know, speaking personally, I've always been jacked up with someone cheering me on and mildly terrified when they're sitting there nervously.

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
I dont know if you're trolling or just ignorant but I'll assume the later.

And I'll assume you're an idiot who idolizes a group of morons.

To each their own, but don't try to make people who don't get wasted and act like a bunch of jackasses, feel like they're "not doing it right".

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Ridiculous straw man. Nobody suggested it overrules factors like lineup quality. Just because it isn't the sole factor doesn't prevent it from being a factor. Home field advantage, for many reasons, is recognized as a significant benefit. In the BPL home teams score 37% more goals than away teams. Vancouver was a record haul for our Olympic team. Crowds are only one part of that, sure, but they're certainly in the equation.

I know, speaking personally, I've always been jacked up with someone cheering me on and mildly terrified when they're sitting there nervously.
Vancouver was also a record haul because our athletes practiced on all the tracks, mountains and rinks that the medals were won in.

LongRoad

Jan 5, 2005
Vancouver was also a record haul because our athletes practiced on all the tracks, mountains and rinks that the medals were won in.
Like I said, only one of the factors. But you can't deny crowd support has an impact on the mental state of an athlete.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Like I said, only one of the factors. But you can't deny crowd support has an impact on the mental state of an athlete.
Definately it does. But it can also be argued that some may have underperformed because of the immense pressure.

Although I believe the men's and women's hockey teams greatly benefitted.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Studies have generally concluded that home ice advantage has much more to do with rules favoring the home team (last change in hockey or batting last in baseball) and unconscious referee bias than with anything to do with crowd support.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Studies have generally concluded that home ice advantage has much more to do with rules favoring the home team (last change in hockey or batting last in baseball) and unconscious referee bias than with anything to do with crowd support.

Well one could argue that cheering could sway referee bias even more, although I dont give a rats what fans do at rogers since I will never get to go myself.

also there are lots more factors in home advantage, sleep in own bed, time with family, familiar routine, and more. Since every sport I have followed seems to have teams harder to beat at home without any rule advantage. even sports, that are not team sports ( is there a word for that ???)

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
Well one could argue that cheering could sway referee bias even more, although I dont give a rats what fans do at rogers since I will never get to go myself.

also there are lots more factors in home advantage, sleep in own bed, time with family, familiar routine, and more. Since every sport I have followed seems to have teams harder to beat at home without any rule advantage. even sports, that are not team sports ( is there a word for that ???)

Like Tennis or Golf?

*Injektilo

Dec 19, 2005
Vancouver
Definately it does. But it can also be argued that some may have underperformed because of the immense pressure.

Although I believe the men's and women's hockey teams greatly benefitted.

I'm left being extremely confused as to whether or not you think it's a good thing.

*Injektilo

Dec 19, 2005
Vancouver
And I'll assume you're an idiot who idolizes a group of morons.

To each their own, but don't try to make people who don't get wasted and act like a bunch of jackasses, feel like they're "not doing it right".

Do you believe the videos below consist of people getting wasted and acting like a bunch of jackasses?

*Injektilo

Dec 19, 2005
Vancouver
Yeah, it's not like Swedes know anything about hockey.

This argument that hockey needs to be played in silence is incomprehensible to me.

JBIZ14

Nov 22, 2007
Lethbridge
^ nobody wants that, this isn't soccer.. loud and obnoxious

The poll seems to convincingly disagree with you. Support like those videos is found in numerous sports all over the world. In fact i would guess its more common then the golf clap when you do something to entertain me support at Rogers Arena.

JBIZ14

Nov 22, 2007
Lethbridge
We've been one of the best home teams over the last two seasons. If teams don't take us seriously when they're here, they're stupid.
We have been one of the best teams...period. Players not wanting to play in Vancouver is based on the team...what happens when this team isn't very good...seems to me like no one will be there to lift the team up in a tough game because a lot of people are there to be entertained not to participate.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
The poll seems to convincingly disagree with you. Support like those videos is found in numerous sports all over the world. In fact i would guess its more common then the golf clap when you do something to entertain me support at Rogers Arena.

nervously quiet is what our fan base wants. The players don't sense 19,000 fans nervously watching them play. They are professionals. They know how to drown out the sound of nothing at home.

Lets keep it to tried tested and true chants like Fin led "go canucks go", off-beat goalie taunts, and of course "Luuu".

There is always time to cheer during commercial breaks. Don't forget to "MAKE SOME NOISE!!!!!!!!". i mean you don't have to because the music is too loud for anyone to be heard but you still should until the puck is dropped. Then sit nervously.

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
If someone finds chanting and clapping "loud and obnoxious", then what is preferred? If it's not peace and quiet then enlighten me, because I clearly don't get it.

It's not all that difficult. Next time you go to a game take some notes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->