OT: Southsiders treated horribly at Canucks-Wild Game

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
To clarify, I LOVE noise, excitement, passion, and energy. All are capable of making the game far more memorable, and getting fans more invested.
BUT, as a poster said, it has to be reactionary. It needs to reflect a big hit, great goal, or amazing save. I loathe the prompted "Let's Make Some Nnnnnooooooisssse!" Crap they show on the screen. Give me a reason first.
I don't care much for the Southsiders, because I think they're trying to apply something to hockey that just doesn't fit. Maybe the Rogers staff overreacted to them, but I suspect they were more distracting than motivating as far as a hockey experience goes.
Fake accents? I don't know. I made that up. Lol! It just seems to me that soccer fans at a hockey game is like yoga clothes in Pamplona. Is it wrong? Not necessarily. Is it necessary? No.
As far as soccer goes, I wouldn't go to a game where the players walk for long stretches, so I am admittedly biased.

JBIZ14

Nov 22, 2007
Lethbridge
Owww your Dads English..case closed. Reactionary in Europe you say? You do know that there are Southsiders from Europe...guess they didn't get the "how things are done in Europe" memo from home.

Sit/watch and Support shouldn't be used together.

To me showing up and sitting quietly makes you a consumer...not a supporter.

iamtherunner

Sep 25, 2008
Vancouver
Aside from whether one likes the Southsiders or not, isn't it problematic that they are being treated differently from others at games?

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
That's a fair point. Consumer? I want to support if I'm at a Canucks game, but give me something TO support. Not "Cotton Eyed Joe" on the speakers, Ebbett getting 20 minutes of ice time, AV chewing his gum as Henrik gets mauled.
Maybe it IS a cultural thing, or just that in my 43 years of watching there haven't been many editions of the Canucks to get excited about.
It seems like this thread is half about fan experience at a hockey game, half about soccer fans, and I don't understand the latter enough to have a valid opinion.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Owww your Dads English..case closed. Reactionary in Europe you say? You do know that there are Southsiders from Europe...guess they didn't get the "how things are done in Europe" memo from home.

Which is the point. The Canucks are a business, a successful business (that has been effective in branding and marketing their product/franchise) which solely cares about the consumers, and not just the supporters. Likewise, the spectators (consumers) solely care about being entertained.

JBIZ14

Nov 22, 2007
Lethbridge
Which is the point. The Canucks are a business, a successful business (that has been effective in branding and marketing their product/franchise) which solely cares about the consumers, and not just the supporters. Likewise, the spectators (consumers) solely care about being entertained.
Which is fine until they aren't entertained...it's thinking like that that leads to the huge bandwagon in the fanbase...ignoring the supporter to cater to the wealthy consumer is great for business when you're winning...what is going to happen if this club goes on a 5 year playoff drought?

The recent success of this franchise in general has made people delusional when it comes to the overall strength of the product.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
i dunno about you dudes but on the rare occasion i have the fortune required to go to a game and i manage to get tickets, i'm much more interested in examining the play cameras/networks usually miss rather than making completely irrelevant noise

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010

You do understand that not every supporter has to cheer as loud as they can for the enter game.

People are allowed to go with the ebs and flows of the game, get excited when there's a chance or nice play and pissed off when the team screws up.

The fact that people go to the game, spend their hard earned money, and cheer when they want to means they are a supporter.

If you don't like it then fine. Just don't act like there is only one way to support a team.

Last edited:

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Which is fine until they aren't entertained...it's thinking like that that leads to the huge bandwagon in the fanbase...ignoring the supporter to cater to the wealthy consumer is great for business when you're winning...what is going to happen if this club goes on a 5 year playoff drought?

The recent success of this franchise in general has made people delusional when it comes to the overall strength of the product.

Then you get a period akin to the late 90's when attendance dips below 10k, and the franchise has to go balls out to attract the real fans through insane promotions (ie. 80$ family nights- 4 tickets, 2 happy meals).

Make no mistake, I agree with you. Most of the fans at these games are casual spectators (bandwagoners), and they will flee once the product deteriorates (to an unbearable level), and the overall popularity of brand (Canucks) loses it's aura.

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
Two different questions in this thread. NO WAY should the Southsiders be treated any differently than anyone else. UNLESS their behaviour warrants it.

Second question is more about individual preference regarding noise levels.

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
Aside from whether one likes the Southsiders or not, isn't it problematic that they are being treated differently from others at games?

Don't you think it's weird that, instead of going to Canucks games like normal people, they feel the need to go as "Southsiders", and let everyone know beforehand that they, a bunch of soccer fans, will be going to a hockey game. Like seriously? Why the need for all the special attention?

Imagine if a bunch of "Canucks fans" went to a Whitacaps game, told everyone within earshot that they were hockey fans at a soccer game, and tried their best to be louder and drunker than everyone else around them. People would think hockey fans are a bunch of idiots.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Don't you think it's weird that, instead of going to a Canucks game like a normal people, they feel the need to go as "Southsiders", and let everyone know beforehand that they, a bunch of soccer fans, will be going to a hockey game. Like seriously? Why the need for all the special attention?

Imagine if a bunch of "Canucks fans" went to a Whitacaps game, told everyone within earshot that they were hockey fans at a soccer game, and tried their best to be louder and drunker than everyone else around them. People would think hockey fans are a bunch of idiots.
SouthPark-RandyMarshAmerica.jpg

JBIZ14

Nov 22, 2007
Lethbridge
The bus driver they use for the away travel got a block of tickets and thought it would be something fun to do...nobody informed anyone about this and they were told to sit down despite being at the very top of the arena.

The same person had another block of tickets and decided to give it another try...the Southsiders contacted the Canucks and forewarned them in hopes of being able to stand and chant. The Canucks told them not only could they not stand but they would prefer that they kept the chanting to stoppages in play. The message was given to the Southsiders going and they went and all was fine.

Also remember that Just because someone is a Southsider does not mean they are not a Canucks fan...a large group of them are....which is why they spent money to see the game.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Of course not. You treat people in accordance to behavior, and the Southsiders objective is organized to behave in a certain way or influence others to behave in a certain way. Regardless of whether or not that behavior is harmless, there is no reason that they or anyone else who behaves in a certain way should be uniformly treated the same way as people who don't. If they act differently they should be treated differently.

If they've organized something and make a point to represent themselves as something, the way they should be treated should be in accordance to that representation.

Last edited:

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
The bus driver they use for the away travel got a block of tickets and thought it would be something fun to do...nobody informed anyone about this and they were told to sit down despite being at the very top of the arena.

The same person had another block of tickets and decided to give it another try...the Southsiders contacted the Canucks and forewarned them in hopes of being able to stand and chant. The Canucks told them not only could they not stand but they would prefer that they kept the chanting to stoppages in play. The message was given to the Southsiders going and they went and all was fine.

Also remember that Just because someone is a Southsider does not mean they are not a Canucks fan...a large group of them are....which is why they spent money to see the game.

What kind of people have to phone the Canucks organization ahead of time and warn them that they'll be showing up at a game? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
Why not just buy tickets like normal people? Go and enjoy the game like a normal person.
If someone has to tell you when or when not to stand and chant, then I'm sorry, but there's something serious IQ issues going on here. Even little kids know what to do at a hockey game.

ARSix

Mar 12, 2012
Honestly if we could have an entire arena full of these guys I'd be for it. There is a reason that Rogers is a godawful home rink atmosphere and it's reflected in this thread. Anyone who makes the rink more like the MTS is welcome.

JBIZ14

Nov 22, 2007
Lethbridge
What kind of people have to phone the Canucks organization ahead of time and warn them that they'll be showing up at a game? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
Why not just buy tickets like normal people? Go and enjoy the game like a normal person.
If someone has to tell you when or when not to stand and chant, then I'm sorry, but there's something serious IQ issues going on here. Even little kids know what to do at a hockey game.
I dont know if you're trolling or just ignorant but I'll assume the later.

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
There's a reason why Vancouver is known as "no-fun" city.

Yeah just about everything that was fun has been cancelled due to a bunch of arrested developed drunks fckuing everything up for everyone else. Sea Festival, Nanaimo-Vancouver Bathtub race, Sand Castle Championship...and let's not forget about a couple of riots thrown in!

Funny how most cities can handle their booze-our youth are too punkish.

Dado

...Nanaimo-Vancouver Bathtub race...

Real shame, that was a classic.

our youth are too punkish.

I don't see it that way - kids are kids everywhere. IMO "we" the authorities just don't want to do the dirty work of dealing with them properly, so we de-confrontation by cancelling the events.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
i dunno about you dudes but on the rare occasion i have the fortune required to go to a game and i manage to get tickets, i'm much more interested in examining the play cameras/networks usually miss rather than making completely irrelevant noise

this, imo there are more appropriate times during a game to be excessively loud then all of the time, I like to enjoy the play and cheer when something happens

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
Real shame, that was a classic.

I don't see it that way - kids are kids everywhere. IMO "we" the authorities just don't want to do the dirty work of dealing with them properly, so we de-confrontation by cancelling the events.

This. Instead of coming up with proactive measures and studying the psychology of crowds, Vancouver uses reactive measures, which never ever works anywhere.
If you establish a presence BEFORE something goes awry, you can manage just about anything.
New York can have concerts in the park, because there are police everywhere. They're smiling and friendly, and THERE. It's expensive, but a lot cheaper than riots.
The unknown factor is always always always alcohol.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
If you want to "watch" you can do that at home...people should be in that building to make noise and encourage the team...Canucks fans are doing it wrong.

Soccer is a continual build up...if you dont get it thats fine but dont argue from ignorance.

If you have money to buy a ticket, you have a right to watch it quietly if you want in the arena.

You say "Canucks fans are doing it wrong" and use arguing from ignorance in the same post. Interesting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad