TV: South Park Season 20

Caps Circle

Jan 19, 2015
Chantilly, VA
Not sure what to make of this at all. Might just be acting dense, but I can't tell what point they were trying to make. Oh well. That was kind of a letdown.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Well, as expected that kind of sucked.. Matt and Trey cannot tell stories, just stick to the jokes.

Caps Circle

Jan 19, 2015
Chantilly, VA
I feel like everything just plummeted after the election, Matt and Trey had no idea how to proceed. They had built a pretty good first half of the season centered around Hillary winning. Once Trump won, they weren't able to re-align their story in time.

Caps Circle

Jan 19, 2015
Chantilly, VA
Well, as expected that kind of sucked.. Matt and Trey cannot tell stories, just stick to the jokes.

- South Park Bigger Long Uncut
- Stick of Truth
- Book of Mormon
- Imaginationland
- Black Friday Trilogy
- Season 19

They can tell stories. They can do so extremely well. They just didn't do it well enough this time.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
- South Park Bigger Long Uncut
- Stick of Truth
- Book of Mormon
- Imaginationland
- Black Friday Trilogy
- Season 19

They can tell stories. They can do so extremely well. They just didn't do it well enough this time.

None of those were great stories, they were funny (Most of them) but stories? (I cannot comment on the stick of truth as I have yet to play it)

Season 19 especially was a jumbled mess near the end.. so much of it didn't make any sense at all.

Don't want to sound like a hater as I've loved South Park for quite a long time and the show has given me countless laughs but they are not storytellers.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
*** and joke mines of Mars.
Maybe just go back to making your little cars, huh.
Well, I sent him a pic of my dick, and I called him a ***.

Caps Circle

Jan 19, 2015
Chantilly, VA
None of those were great stories, they were funny (Most of them) but stories? (I cannot comment on the stick of truth as I have yet to play it)

Season 19 especially was a jumbled mess near the end.. so much of it didn't make any sense at all.

Don't want to sound like a hater as I've loved South Park for quite a long time and the show has given me countless laughs but they are not storytellers.

I'm not talking about great stories.How many of the books and movies that you like are great? They are good storytellers who's primary goal is comedy, and I don't think that excludes them from being storytellers.

As to season 19, we just have a difference of opinion. I thought it was the best season of South Park. Hands down. Others disagree, and I guess I can see that.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

No offense, but you're no authority on the subject, and you don't give any explanation as to why. You just keep repeating it.

They won the Tony for Best Book of a Musical (awarded to the librettists) for crying out loud. For well-crafted satires, they don't have many peers. Maybe you want to offer up some contemporary comedy writers who write better stories?

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Enjoyable because even disappointing South Park is good. Very disappointing season though. Missed the boat this season. Loved S19. Wish they'd bring back Chef's parents in S20.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
They really really really didn't anticipate Trump winning and got burned hard. They had no material planned for a Trump win and since they tried to maintain continuity these last few seasons they ended up dropping a bunch of story lines that depended on a Clinton victory.

Pretty fascinating to see. They rarely get egg on their faces.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Yea, first season in a long time, if ever for me, where the season was a collective meh.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I kind of expected a down year since last season killed it imo, but for me this was easily one of the worst seasons. But when you have to put out a show year after year after year there's going to be some down years, no big deal.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
They really really really didn't anticipate Trump winning and got burned hard. They had no material planned for a Trump win and since they tried to maintain continuity these last few seasons they ended up dropping a bunch of story lines that depended on a Clinton victory.

Pretty fascinating to see. They rarely get egg on their faces.

Yeah, I think this is exactly what happened.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Worst season I can remember. WTF was the point of member berries? I feel like they had an idea with that towards the beginning of the season and just kind of ignored it in the last few episodes.

As people said around election time the results threw the entire season off. My guess is they figured Hillary would win and had the last part of the season planned out. A Trump victory killed that.

I also think they need to go back to standalone episodes with maybe 1 side plot that continues from episode to episode. No more of this continuous story stuff. South Park works better standalone imo. They can pull off 3 episode story arcs a la the Game of Thrones stuff, but I wouldn't drag it out longer than that.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
I feel like the last minute was telling us how south park is going to be. A fresh start and everything blew up at the end.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I just checked the ratings out of curiosity and last year's were terrible. Overall there's been a steady decline for a number of years but there was a pretty decent uptick this season versus last. Season 15 seemed to be the last one they really thrived.

Also just realized after season 16 they went from 14 episodes to 10. I didn't realize they had so few episodes each year.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Yeah a season of South Park for quite sometime had 7 or 8 episodes in the Spring then they took a break for Summer and then same 7 or 8 episodes in Fall.

Honestly I think that format was much better.. no long breaks

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
As an expert in storytelling the memberberries were easily the biggest letdown of the season.

Being set up for something huge and then just dropped completely for the final episodes and all we get for it is the same by the numbers the boys save the world storyline again.

The format was fun for the past two seasons (minus that 2 or 3 parter last year with the ads ugh) but this season they tried to take it another step and just fell on their face.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Yeah they were just shown scattered on the floor of the oval office during that last sequence, no real closure there. Maybe a shot at Trump, saying that he'll be heavily medicated during his run in office? I don't know. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad