TV: South Park Season 20

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
#SouthPark20 experience now at the Paley Center!

THE PALEY CENTER FOR MEDIA IN BEVERLY HILLS PRESENTS

THE SOUTH PARK 20 EXPERIENCE,

A FREE, PUBLIC EXHIBIT TO CELEBRATE THE TWENTIETH SEASON OF THE

HIT COMEDY CENTRAL SERIES

ALL TWENTY SEASONS OF THE ICONIC SERIES WILL JOIN THE

EXTENSIVE PALEY ARCHIVE

EXHIBIT FEATURES TWENTY LIFE-SIZED ICONIC MOMENTS,

TWENTY PIECES OF CURATED ARTWORK, DAILY SCREENINGS,

FAN PHOTO OPS, AND MORE!

Unique Artist Pieces Curated by Ron English Will Be Showcased

Exhibit Runs from Wednesday, August 24 to Sunday, September 25

BEVERLY HILLS, CA – August 23, 2016 –The Paley Center for Media, the leading nonprofit cultural institution that showcases the importance and impact of media in our society, presents the “South Park 20 Experience,†an immersive and interactive exhibit to celebrate the twentieth season of Comedy Central’s Emmy and Peabody Award-winning animated series. The free, public exhibit will feature a gallery of twenty, 2-D and 3-D life-sized replicas of fans’ favorite South Park characters and classic moments from the series, along with twenty specially created pieces of artwork curated by world-renowned pop culture artist, Ron English. Daily screenings of the series and fan photo ops round out this exclusive Paley Center event.

To preserve the importance of South Park, all twenty seasons of the series will be added to the Paley Center’s already extensive public Archive. The show has been donated to the Paley Center by Comedy Central and will be made available for free, public viewings at the Paley Center.

The exhibit will be open at the Paley Center’s Beverly Hills location (465 N. Beverly Dr., Beverly Hills, CA 90210) from Wednesday, August 24 to Sunday, September 25, 2016.

“We are honored to celebrate the twentieth season of ‘South Park,’ a show that has undeniably had a profound impact on our society by continuously providing a fresh and fearless satirical take on current events and cultural trends,†said Maureen J. Reidy, President and CEO of The Paley Center for Media. “This exhibit promises to be a dynamic and engaging fan experience, exactly the type of free, public programming the Paley Center delivers year-round. The addition of the full series to the renowned Paley Center Archive will preserve this show for our members and visitors to enjoy for years to come.â€

“We are thrilled to bring the ‘South Park Experience’ to the Paley Center to celebrate the show’s historic twentieth season,†said Walter Levitt, Chief Marketing Officer, Comedy Central. “The Experience was the hit of Comic-Con in San Diego last month, with tens of thousands of fans jumping into iconic ‘South Park’ moments and sharing their pictures on social media. Now, all SoCal fans will have the chance to be part of the fun. We thank the Paley Center for sharing in the celebration of this influential television franchise.â€

The “South Park 20 Experience†features twenty iconic, life-sized scenes built out in 2-D/3-D format allowing fans to jump into some of the most memorable moments in South Park history for a photo op to share on social with #SOUTHPARK20. The exhibit will also showcase twenty artist interpretations of the series, hand-picked by famed street artist and pop surrealist painter, Ron English. Fans can also visit a retrospective gallery featuring original animation cells from the pilot episode, and watch free daily screenings of select episodes from the first nineteen seasons of the series.

As a leading nonprofit cultural institution, this exhibit is part of the Paley Center’s ongoing commitment to preserving, exploring, and interpreting the media through its extensive, public Archive and educational programs. The Paley Center is home to the nation’s foremost publically accessible archive of television, radio, and new media content, with over 160,000 programs spanning the history of media.

Trey Parker and Matt Stone are the co-creators of South Park. Parker, Stone, Anne Garefino and Frank C. Agnone II are the Executive Producers of the Emmy® and Peabody® Award-winning series. Eric Stough, Adrien Beard, Bruce Howell and Vernon Chatman are Producers. The series launched on August 13, 1997. The historic twentieth season premieres Wednesday, September 14 at 10:00 pm, ET/PT, on Comedy Central.

For exhibit updates, please visit paleycenter.org, and follow @paleycenter on Twitter.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Seriously? They had been in a bit of a lull before, but I thought last season was as good as any they've ever done.

PC Principal was amazing.

Well theres the sticking point for me. PC principal was pure ****. I just thought the bruce jenner, trump, "triggering", safe spaces and all that other nonsense was lazy and predictable. And it lasted pretty much the whole season.

And then the year before they did free to play apps and a pewdiepie trilogy.

Dont get me wrong, theres also been some really good ones, but I'd say theyve clearly fallen off.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Well theres the sticking point for me. PC principal was pure ****. I just thought the bruce jenner, trump, "triggering", safe spaces and all that other nonsense was lazy and predictable. And it lasted pretty much the whole season.

Dont get me wrong, theres also been some really good ones, but I'd say theyve clearly fallen off.

That's because they made a conscious effort to make the whole season more serialized. Have an ongoing storyline arc that lasts the entire season rather than just some self-contained episodic storylines.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Yeah, you lost me - I thought their take on both was brilliant. What exactly do you characterize as fresh and unpredictable South Park?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Yeah, you lost me - I thought their take on both was brilliant. What exactly do you characterize as fresh and unpredictable South Park?

Im not a comedy writer so I can't answer that but I can give you some examples

Like when Caitlyn Jenner drives off and kills someone. I was expecting that from the word go. The shock value was zero for me and I didn't laugh at all because i literally could predict it

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
Is the show supposed to be unpredictable? It's parody and social commentary based on current events.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012

Similar to It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia for me, the show is still very, very good in its old age. I still prefer these shows over almost every other tv comedy around right now. There are going to be episodes that miss the mark a little bit, but being able to deliver even a few brilliant episodes per season is fine by me. I love that they've cut back the episode count to 10 per season; makes them more likely to put up the best ideas possible.

And contrary to your opinion, I think that seasons 18 and 19 were far better than season 17 overall (although the Game of Thrones trilogy parody and Kanye West "Hobbit" episode were very good), and less hit-or-miss than seasons 15 and 16.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Is the show supposed to be unpredictable? It's parody and social commentary based on current events.

It kind of is, if you see the punchline coming from a mile away are you still gonna laugh the same or at all

You can do all the social commentary you want but it's a comedy show. Your comment implies that you don't even care if it's funny, just what Matt and trey think about whatever current event.

Last edited:

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012

Good point, I don't know why shock value is important here at all. Just because something is predictable doesn't mean it still can't be funny. At this point, if you've seen 20 seasons of South Park, why would you expect to be shocked by any of the ridiculous things that Matt and Trey come up with? :laugh:

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Last couple of seasons have been great, can't wait for the new one.

The way the show has evolved to where it is now, from the initial shock factor omg it's a bunch of kids swearing that they started out with, to now maturing into the great piece of social commentary that it is, they deserve all the praise they can get. To still be killing it after this long, well done to them.

You can do all the social commentary you want but it's a comedy show. Your comment implies that you don't even care if it's funny, just what Matt and trey think about whatever current event.

That's exactly what the show is now though. It's not just "a comedy show" that label does not accurately describe what they try to do, nor has that been accurate for some time. At this point that commentary is the primary point of the show, this company is evil, this person is a dick, this aspect of society is stupid etc. Those messages are delivered in humorous ways, but the humour is a vehicle for Matt and Trey's voice on what is going on in the world.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
south park has consistently been that way since 9/11, them coveringg current events isn't a new thing at all

For the humor to be the vehicle, its got to be a little more funny is all I'm saying. Its been hit and miss these past couple seasons

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
south park has consistently been that way since 9/11, them coveringg current events isn't a new thing at all

For the humor to be the vehicle, its got to be a little more funny is all I'm saying. Its been hit and miss these past couple seasons

I'm not saying it's new, I'm well aware, because I'm not the one trying to throw a simple "comedy show" label on it.

Humour is subjective. If it isn't for you, it isn't for you that's fine. It's good for plenty of us though based on the positive feedback the last couple of seasons have had.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
There's a big difference between the early years and what the show is now in terms of style of humour/content, but I still love the show.

I think them dropping the amount of episodes per season to 10 starting with season 17 was a turning point for the series, quality went back up significantly. I don't think the show is at its peak (IMO seasons 3-6, 8 being maybe the best but it's an outlier) but the past few seasons rank favourably and there is some episodes that are in the top 20 of all time for sure.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Im not a comedy writer so I can't answer that but I can give you some examples

Like when Caitlyn Jenner drives off and kills someone. I was expecting that from the word go. The shock value was zero for me and I didn't laugh at all because i literally could predict it

That South Park would address a current issue isn't supposed to be a surprise. That's what they always do. What's fresh is how they addressed it - nobody bats an eye when she kills somebody with her negligent driving because she became a PC "hero". She's Teflon.

Ugh, explaining comedy sucks.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
That South Park would address a current issue isn't supposed to be a surprise. That's what they always do. What's fresh is how they addressed it - nobody bats an eye when she kills somebody with her negligent driving because she became a PC "hero". She's Teflon.

Ugh, explaining comedy sucks.
Actually I would guess its because it was an accident, but thats another story. Again, I saw that one coming from a mile away.

I think some of these posters don't even care about the jokes is my impression. They just watch the show to see what matt and trey think, which was never why I watched the show.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
I actually agree that the past few years have been hit-or-miss, they can get a bit heavy-handed in what they do. I just think criticizing the show for being too predictable is kind of a weird criticism.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
Last couple season have been pretty sub par, hopefully they pick it up.

Sub par??

What's par then?

Season 18:

Go Fund Yourself - Takin on the Redskins...awesome
The Cissy - Eric as 'Erica' the transginger, and Randy as Lorde was hilarious
Grounded Vindaloop - The Indian support call-taker nearly killed me.
C*ck Magic - Pure gold with Randy's 'magic'.

And the other 6 episodes had some really good stuff too.

Season 19:

The running PC Principal character was one of the funniest things SP has done in a long time.

Stunning and Brave - Awesome intro to PC Principal
Where My Country Gone - Mr Garrison was back in top form.
The City Part Of Town - Any City Wok episode is money. The Whole Foods stuff was funny.
You're Not Yelping - Cartman as a reviewer was hilarious. Yelpers suck. Hilarious episode.
Safe Space - Cartman killed it in this one. And Randy with the donations was awesome.
PC Principal Final Justice - End of one of the best arcs ever on SP.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Actually I would guess its because it was an accident, but thats another story. Again, I saw that one coming from a mile away.

I think some of these posters don't even care about the jokes is my impression. They just watch the show to see what matt and trey think, which was never why I watched the show.

That is the primary purpose of the show, what Matt and Trey think. May not be why you watch it, but seems silly to want to criticise people for watching the show for what it is.

Nobody has said the jokes aren't important or even implied as much, that's a huge leap on your part. Those of us who find it funny are unsurprisingly not as concerned with the humour as you are. But again comedy is subjective, just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it doesn't work, it means maybe it just isn't for you.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Sub par??

What's par then?

Season 18:

Go Fund Yourself - Takin on the Redskins...awesome
The Cissy - Eric as 'Erica' the transginger, and Randy as Lorde was hilarious
Grounded Vindaloop - The Indian support call-taker nearly killed me.
C*ck Magic - Pure gold with Randy's 'magic'.

And the other 6 episodes had some really good stuff too.

Season 19:

The running PC Principal character was one of the funniest things SP has done in a long time.

Stunning and Brave - Awesome intro to PC Principal
Where My Country Gone - Mr Garrison was back in top form.
The City Part Of Town - Any City Wok episode is money. The Whole Foods stuff was funny.
You're Not Yelping - Cartman as a reviewer was hilarious. Yelpers suck. Hilarious episode.
Safe Space - Cartman killed it in this one. And Randy with the donations was awesome.
PC Principal Final Justice - End of one of the best arcs ever on SP.

IMO, South Park was on a big downhill slide until season 17. Then came the 3 part Black Friday episodes, which resulted in South Park soaring back to being awesome again and it continues to be so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad