Speculation: Source of the "divide" in the room

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
People are reading way too much into the Laine response. Some people's mindset requires that they turn the page and move on in order to be able to fully engage in getting ready for an off-season of training. Some people get so fixated on there disappointment in how things turn out that it gets in the way. No body asked what he plans to do training wise so not sure why he's getting so much flack.

He has remained static since coming in to the league, which is kinda sad. The biggest thing we all believed with Laine was that he would have 2 to 3 massive steps to take in his development because he was so young and raw, and that he would evolve in to a top end star.

Still can happen, but when you see three seasons of plateaued stats combined with chronic injuries, a nonchalant attitude towards working out, questionable off season training ect... my concern is there is no next step.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
True but to get experience the younger players need playing time.
It’s the same as work places , Wheeler might be like the guy who feels they need to do everything themselves and everyone is on eggshells as it becomes a powder keg waiting to blow.
It’s not good for “the” guy nor the rest of the staff

Agree with all of that. But we are all just speculating as to what the issue has been. I'm guessing it's probably somewhere in the middle as in the kids aren't patient (in some cases, rightfully so) and the vets don't like the changes. The big NHL trend towards youth playing big minutes is fairly new and likely never happened for a lot of the vets even if if they deserved it. There are a lot of grey shades in this discussion and a lot of us are presenting it as black and white imo.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Agree with all of that. But we are all just speculating as to what the issue has been. I'm guessing it's probably somewhere in the middle as in the kids aren't patient (in some cases, rightfully so) and the vets don't like the changes. The big NHL trend towards youth playing big minutes is fairly new and likely never happened for a lot of the vets even if if they deserved it. There are a lot of grey shades in this discussion and a lot of us are presenting it as black and white imo.

I did say might be.
I was one of those delusional fans who kept hoping the bad play would go away.
It’s apparent there’s something not right in the chemistry and my gut says Wheeler/Maurice are ground zero.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
It’s the vets that have come across as entitled, not the young guys...

Don't you think the vets should be entitled, as long as they can back it up with their play? I mean they have put in the time and effort to be the leaders on the team, getting to play is their reward.

I don't want a 35 year old getting all the ice time just because he's 35, especially when someone younger is better, but if the production is there, the older player will most likely get the nod.

Plus it's the "caught between a rock and a hard place for management"... you might as well play them 'cause your paying them.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I did say might be.
I was one of those delusional fans who kept hoping the bad play would go away.
It’s apparent there’s something not right in the chemistry and my gut says Wheeler/Maurice are ground zero.

I’d tend to agree but am trying to not jump to more conclusions than I already have :laugh:

Reactions: hn777

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That's usually where some part of your leadership steps in and bridges those two sides. Every team will have differences between veterans and youth, but typically the captains can prevent those differences from splitting it.

Good point. I think you need to see a young guy step into the group and bridge the gap. They seemed to talk up JoMo and his leadership a lot so maybe he's the guy to do it.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
People are reading way too much into the Laine response. Some people's mindset requires that they turn the page and move on in order to be able to fully engage in getting ready for an off-season of training. Some people get so fixated on there disappointment in how things turn out that it gets in the way. No body asked what he plans to do training wise so not sure why he's getting so much flack.

It's just because he never gives canned answers. No other player ever says anything except what their fan base wants to hear..... I love it here, I'm going to spend every minute getting better, I'm going to only eat vegetables and horsemeat, I'm going to become a monk.

Heaven forbid that a hockey player spend any time with their friends or golf.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
He has remained static since coming in to the league, which is kinda sad. The biggest thing we all believed with Laine was that he would have 2 to 3 massive steps to take in his development because he was so young and raw, and that he would evolve in to a top end star.

Still can happen, but when you see three seasons of plateaued stats combined with chronic injuries, a nonchalant attitude towards working out, questionable off season training ect... my concern is there is no next step.

Sorry, but this post is full of things that people repeat because of things taken out of context, or simply hyperbole.

Chronic injuries?
Nonchalant towards training?
Questionable training?

Weird.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Nathan Mackinninons first four years:

63 points, 38 points, 52 points, 53 points. He has now had back to back 97 plus point years. It can take time for development. Laine also hasn't plateaued since coming here. He had a better second season then rookie year prior to stumbling this past year. Hardly the first player to experience a bad year.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Chevy and the market, along with Laine and his agent will dictate what he is worth. Pretty much nothing he says in his post-season interview will change that.

To my knowledge Laine did not have any back-related injury issues over the past two seasons, although I could be mistaken.

What you consider to be the right response to a reporter's question is irrelevant. If you think that Laine isn't going to do his best to get healthy, regardless of what he said in that interview, then you're out to lunch dude. Imagine telling someone how to spend their vacation time?

“I was kind of struggling with my back pretty much the whole year. I had kind of a small groin injury at the end of the playoffs,” said Laine. “But nothing I couldn’t handle.”

Laine said the back issue is something that’s been an issue for quite some time.

I’ve had it for the last couple of years,” said Laine. “Last year in the playoffs, didn’t really skate because I couldn’t. Kind of same thing started again this year. But it’s not an excuse for me. I was still able to play and I was able to play good. So when there were times when I wasn’t play good, it’s not an excuse for me.

Laine among injured, Tanev went under the knife

I would be concerned about this if I was Chevy.

Reactions: Mud Turtle

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
“I was kind of struggling with my back pretty much the whole year. I had kind of a small groin injury at the end of the playoffs,” said Laine. “But nothing I couldn’t handle.”

Laine said the back issue is something that’s been an issue for quite some time.

I’ve had it for the last couple of years,” said Laine. “Last year in the playoffs, didn’t really skate because I couldn’t. Kind of same thing started again this year. But it’s not an excuse for me. I was still able to play and I was able to play good. So when there were times when I wasn’t play good, it’s not an excuse for me.

Thanks for the info! Hadn't read any of that (just second-hand stuff and abbreviated tweets).

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
It's just because he never gives canned answers. No other player ever says anything except what their fan base wants to hear..... I love it here, I'm going to spend every minute getting better, I'm going to only eat vegetables and horsemeat, I'm going to become a monk.

Heaven forbid that a hockey player spend any time with their friends or golf.

Horse meat? What the hell!? :laugh:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Making millions doesn't mean you somehow lose human emotions. The idea that just because you make a lot of money you don't have the right to be annoyed and angry is pretty ludacris imo.
I didn't say they don't have the right to be pissed off . I'm saying if they didn't give 100% at times because they were upset at something , that's a joke . If you are pissed off about playing time go talk to Maurice , if that doesn't work go talk to Chevy , if doesn't work demand a trade . But at no point do you give less than 100% on the ice because you get paid millions of dollars to play the game .

Reactions: DashingDane

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

If Laine read Hf boards he would see all sorts of ads to help a sore back .:laugh:

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I 100% believe that this is Wheeler's show and that Maurice will not go against him.

This can not happen and Maurice not even attempting to split up Wheeler and Scheifele is an absolute joke.
Totally agree. And Maurice being unwilling to do what is best for the team is just an absolute joke himself. Said it before & I'll probably say it until he's gone, this team is going nowhere until they rid themselves of Maurice

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
Nathan Mackinninons first four years:

63 points, 38 points, 52 points, 53 points. He has now had back to back 97 plus point years. It can take time for development. Laine also hasn't plateaued since coming here. He had a better second season then rookie year prior to stumbling this past year. Hardly the first player to experience a bad year.

Totally agreed. Same can be said re: Ehlers. Best days are still to come.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Open and honest conversations between the coach, the vets and the youth will go a long way. Doing things underhanded will breed contempt.

People looking to stay with top minutes and linemates to pad their stats at the expense of team results, is another sure way to breed contempt.
yup... and therein I believe lies most of the rift in the room

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I have no idea how he is in the room but he comes across as very intense and defensive to the media. If he has similiar reactions in the room to other players who approach him then I can understand how the other players could get annoyed with him.
They can have all the closed door meetings they like, who is going to say what is really bugging them when it revolves around Wheels and Scheif. And saying something to the coach, well you know how far that would go. Its a no win situation that the out crowd just needs to shut up about, but you can bet multiple times a game they see the same crap and get more and more irratated

Last edited:

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
Ironically, when I google
"Winnipeg Jets rumors locker room divided"
some of the first results are related to the divided room of the St. Louis Blues at the time of their coaching change, and how Craig Berube fixed the locker room. We all know the result of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad