Sophomore Studs

Status
Not open for further replies.

little a from da bx

Jun 18, 2004
bizoncol said:
Ruutu and Zherdev. They've been improving their game all last season and became the best rookies of April 2004.
i thouhgt zherdev is playing in russia this year?? i thought that is what i heard

Testify

Jun 24, 2004
I think that the agreement with Zherdev is that if there is a lock-out he will go to russia.. just like a bunch of NHLers.

Might be wrong tho..

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Hero of Tragedy said:
Two guys I think can hit the 20 goal mark next year...Chuck Kobasew and Dustin Brown. Surprised I havent seen Chuckie's name mentioned.

Kobasew won't breakout until Iginla is injured or is on another team. He needs top line ice time.

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
Legionnaire said:
Kobasew won't breakout until Iginla is injured or is on another team. He needs top line ice time.

If you are playing Fantasy Hockey look for a few sharks d-men as waiver steals

1. Tom Priessing- He had a great rookie year and really proved to everyone that he is an NHL defencmen. 2 years ago he lead all d-men in the ncaa in scoring but did not transfur it to the NHL. This year look for some of that majic to come back.

2. Christian Ehrhoff- He is as offensivly talented a defencen as anyone in the league with his blazing speed, rocket shot and soft hands. One day he could lead all defencmen in scoring. One thing he has that a lot of others dont is a willingness to take risky chances for scoring chances. Many times he is like a fourth forward on the ice. He showed flashes of brilliance last year and with a year under his belt he has the potential to explode

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
Semin and Morrisonn (not sure if he's considered a sophmore or not) should have decent seasons with increased icetime/roles

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
little a from da bx said:
i thouhgt zherdev is playing in russia this year?? i thought that is what i heard

You might be confusing Morozov with Zherdev. Morozov is playing in Russia next year no matter what, Zherdev is only playing in Russia for the duration of the lockout.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
LadyByngJeanRatelle said:
Jarret Stoll. He'll be the Oilers future captain in 4-5 years. Next year though, I see him scoring 20.

I like Stoll quite a bit, but 20 goals next year? I don't watch enough Oilers game to be able to say that he won't but, from what i've read, it'll take him a few years to develop his offensive game

LadyByngJeanRatelle

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
417 TO MTL said:
I like Stoll quite a bit, but 20 goals next year? I don't watch enough Oilers game to be able to say that he won't but, from what i've read, it'll take him a few years to develop his offensive game

I'm not too sure (maybe some Oilers fans can help me out with this), but I believe Stoll managed to score 10-12 last year, while playing mostly on the 3rd/4th lines, and playing 60-65 games. If he's on the 2nd line this coming year, who knows?

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I think Ruutu and Staal will have the best sophmore seasons with Bergereon right up there.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Legionnaire said:

Just curious here, but why exactly does Kobasew need top line ice if he is going to have a breakout season? He isn't capable of doing it on the 2nd or 3rd line? Michael Ryder did much of his damage playing on the 3rd line, as did some others. There is no reason Kobasew can't or won't. With any sort of increased ice from last year, he will show some offence.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Tuomo Ruutu: Was great at the end of last season, and looks to improve.

Nikolai Zherdev: See Tuomo Ruutu.

Nathan Horton: Was injured, so he his rookie year wasn't as good as it could've been, and look for him to do well.

Dustin Brown: See Nathan Horton.

Fedor Tyutin: Will get huge minutes on broadway.

Denis Grebeshkov: Will probably get a bigger role in LA, and I'm guessing will have the biggest breakout.

Joffrey Lupul: Look for him to play with Sergei Fedorov, so that's always good.

Milan Michalek: See Nathan Horton.

John-Michael Liles: He'll be Colorado's top gun after Blake on the blueline, and their offense is scary as it is.

Marc-Andre Bergeron: He was awesome at the tail end of last year, and will probably be the top gun from the blueline.

I figure Patrice Bergeron, Michael Ryder, Trent Hunter, and Andrew Raycroft won't finish up their great rookie seasons well, mainly because they did so well and it'll be hard to follow it up.

I either see Ryan Malone doing very well, or not doing as well because of the additions Pittsburgh has made. With the subtraction of Morosov, he might take on a greater role and feed off of Mario and Recchi, but if their top line doesn't include him, he may falter.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Hercules Rockefeller said:
Tuomo Ruutu: Was great at the end of last season, and looks to improve.

Nikolai Zherdev: See Tuomo Ruutu.

Nathan Horton: Was injured, so he his rookie year wasn't as good as it could've been, and look for him to do well.

Dustin Brown: See Nathan Horton.

Fedor Tyutin: Will get huge minutes on broadway.

Denis Grebeshkov: Will probably get a bigger role in LA, and I'm guessing will have the biggest breakout.

Joffrey Lupul: Look for him to play with Sergei Fedorov, so that's always good.

Milan Michalek: See Nathan Horton.

John-Michael Liles: He'll be Colorado's top gun after Blake on the blueline, and their offense is scary as it is.

Marc-Andre Bergeron: He was awesome at the tail end of last year, and will probably be the top gun from the blueline.

I figure Patrice Bergeron, Michael Ryder, Trent Hunter, and Andrew Raycroft won't finish up their great rookie seasons well, mainly because they did so well and it'll be hard to follow it up.

I either see Ryan Malone doing very well, or not doing as well because of the additions Pittsburgh has made. With the subtraction of Morosov, he might take on a greater role and feed off of Mario and Recchi, but if their top line doesn't include him, he may falter.

No Semin? I realize Washington is a black hole for hockey circles, but sheesh.

bossy22

Mar 14, 2004
Calgary
Matthew Lombardi, if healthy from the concussion suffered during the finals, could be a very good late round pick up in your draft. With Conroy's departure, he might have a shot centering the 1st or 2nd line. Should be given a very good opportunity to produce. Has the speed to be a real weapon and had no problem racking up points in Junior. Sutter commented that the Weimer signing should help both Kobasew and Lombardi since Weimer's presence might open up the ice for these 2.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
EroCaps said:
No Semin? I realize Washington is a black hole for hockey circles, but sheesh.

I think he'll do good, but come on, do you really think Semin can do it nearly on his own? For all, or at least most, of the guys I listed up there, they'll probably have good linemates to feed off of.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
BlackJack21 said:
Highest raisers:
Zherdev, more shots, more goals
Horton, will reach 30 goals IMO
Pitkanen, more minutes
Ruutu, what a 2nd half last year (65-70)

Will fall:
Bergeron (he'll have to be very mature to stay on earth after this kind of unexpected season)
Ryder (As a habs fan I can say he have a fantastic shot, nothing else)

IMO

BJ21

Bergeron made the NHL mainly to his maturity. He is no Hainsey or Chouinard and has his head at the wright place.

Vic Rattlehead*

IF Boston can re-sign Nylander, Bostons second line would be Samsonov-Nylander-Bergeron. This line was our only effective line in the playoffs, and I can see Bergeron having a better year than last year IF nylander is re-signed by Boston.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Hercules Rockefeller said:
I think he'll do good, but come on, do you really think Semin can do it nearly on his own? For all, or at least most, of the guys I listed up there, they'll probably have good linemates to feed off of.

He did pretty well on his own in some of the later games this past year.

But whatever, I'd rather the hype for Semin be small and have him surprise some people.

Vic Rattlehead*

JasonMacIsaac said:
In this thread not one mention or Paul Martin or David Hale.....that figures.
I can understand Paul Martin, but David hale won't have much of a "breakout year" If he plays behind Niedermayer, Stevens, White, Rafalski, Matin, and Matvichuk.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
JasonMacIsaac said:
In this thread not one mention or Paul Martin or David Hale.....that figures.

A guy like David Hale (who I think will be extremely impressive when he hits his stride) is the type of defenseman that needs to gain experience to hit his full potential. He's not goin to breakout in his second year in the league.

Ace2000

Dec 12, 2003
Mtl
19bruins19 said:
Considering Bergeron spent about three halfs of a season on the third line and still finished good. I only expect him to improve. He'll be counted on a lot, he will have second line time and pp time.If Nylander was to comeback, He would be with Samsonov and Nylander, and that line did well in the playoffs.

that line was the most threatening line vs Montreal for sure! thornton was injured and all the line suffered but their second line of samsonov-nylander-bergeron was always dangerous when on the ice. With a few players leaving boston, i expect bergeron to put up better numbers since he'll be probably on one of the top two lines in boston. he seemed to get better and better as the playoffs were going further. I expect him to put up a good 50 points.

Zherdev and Ruutu are bound to put up great numbers. Both had a very good end of season which leads me to believe that it'll continue onto the next. Not always sure, but at such a young age, they can only improve...Zherdev will put up great offensive numbers and same with ruutu but i don't know how they'll be come d-time but both are regarded as offensive players so we shopuld see improvements in each one of them.

As far as Ryder is concerned, i think he can improve on his totals from last season but only if ribeiro plays as well as he did last season. Ribs was inexistent in the playoffs and ryder was left to fend for himself. 3 points in 11 games isn't bad considering its his first playoffs. Besides, Ryder played well in the playoffs but the fact that boston and tampa had such good goalies made it difficult for him to get any points. Everytime you thought his shot was to go in, it hit the post or crossbar and such. Ryder should see a slight improvement.

Malone will improve as well, especially, since recchi will be added to the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad