Sophomore Studs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuckalinsky

May 1, 2004
Who is going to have the best sophomore season this year? (Assuming there is one). It was obviously Nash this past year, with guys like Hemsky and Chistov falling victom to the sophomore slump. Personally, I think that it will be Eric Staal. This kid has got all the tools. Last season he had 31 points and he played on a brutal Carolina Hurricanes team. Plus he is still filling out. Staal all the way. Honourable mentions to Horton and Pitkanen though as well.

bizzz*

Ruutu and Zherdev. They've been improving their game all last season and became the best rookies of April 2004.

Taranis_24

Jan 6, 2004
Visit site
Alexander Semin. Finished off last season well with a poor Caps team and hopefully will start the next season where he left off. Had heard that he has put on a little extra muscle during the offseason which should be very beneficial.

hardcore_fan

Apr 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
If Spezza can be considered a sophmore(it'll be his second full season) he's my homer pick.He will get more playing time with better linemates, as well as a supposedly less restrictive coaching system.My non-homer pick is Ryan Malone.He's got all the skills and he'll have guys like Recchi and hopefully a healthy Lemiuex to take some of the focus off him.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
IMO, Tuomo Ruutu and Alexander Semin are going to have HUGE seasons, especially in the case of Ruutu, I think Ryder will put up similar number to last years totals, Nathan Horton should be a force as well

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
417 TO MTL said:
IMO, Tuomo Ruutu and Alexander Semin are going to have HUGE seasons, especially in the case of Ruutu, I think Ryder will put up similar number to last years totals, Nathan Horton should be a force as well

You hit everyone of my notes: Ruutu, Semin, and Horton will be beasts. If Ovechkin plays, Semin will be even better.

Vic Rattlehead*

No love for Bergeron? I think he will improve, especially since he won't be on the third line for more than half a season. This year, he will get second line duty for a full season, and I think his stats will improve.

Vic Rattlehead*

hardcore_fan said:
If Spezza can be considered a sophmore(it'll be his second full season) he's my homer pick.He will get more playing time with better linemates, as well as a supposedly less restrictive coaching system.My non-homer pick is Ryan Malone.He's got all the skills and he'll have guys like Recchi and hopefully a healthy Lemiuex to take some of the focus off him.
Spezza won't be a sophmore.

guitaraholic*

I expect Bergeron to take a small step back.... I expect T. Ruutu to take the next step forward and be a stud that gets the Hawks close to the playoffs (no, I'm not a homer, I hate the Hawks) and (here's my homer pick) I expect the rest of you to come to the conclusion all intelligent, informed Blues fans already know: Christian Backman is going to be an elite level dman in the NHL for many, many years.

eatwake

Jul 14, 2004
i guess people aren't expecting much from bergeron because he exceeded expectations so much this past season.
most of the guys being mentioned in this thread had a lot of hype surrounding them going into last season, and that'll continue until they have proven themselves.

i think another similar season for bergeron would be fantastic, but i doubt people are going to expect more from him.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
eatwake said:
i think another similar season for bergeron would be fantastic, but i doubt people are going to expect more from him.

You haven't see him play much i guess...
He will only improve.
50-65pts should be what you'll see Bergeron put next year.

Sum1winachampionship

Mar 21, 2004
Huge homer response here but if Pitkanen can get used to the grind and play how he did at his peak throughout the season he could put up some great numbers on a decent Flyers team

Clancy

May 15, 2004
South Jersey
Zherdev could get 30 goals and at least 60 points.
Pitkanen should be more consistent this year and will help the Philly powerplay even more.
Semin will have a season much like Datsyuk this past year, putting up some very pretty goals.
Horton's stats will improve but i dont think he is going to have his big year until next year, as it takes a while longer for power forwards to find their game.

CapsCrazyX17

Jun 20, 2003
Washington, DC
Semin is gonna be a go-to guy this time around in DC so I expect his numbers to increase accordingly. Horton, Ruutu and Zherdev will all perform admirably as well.

BDubinskyNYR17*

LW Ryan Malone. He did it on a bad pens team, now pens are a little better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad