Sophomore Studs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace2000

Dec 12, 2003
Mtl
Kritty said:
Just curious here, but why exactly does Kobasew need top line ice if he is going to have a breakout season? He isn't capable of doing it on the 2nd or 3rd line? Michael Ryder did much of his damage playing on the 3rd line, as did some others. There is no reason Kobasew can't or won't. With any sort of increased ice from last year, he will show some offence.

ryder was mainly on the second line for the habs last season. Early on he was on the 3rd/4th line but was bumped up very early in the season. Stayed on the second line for much of the rest....

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Chuckalinsky said:
Who is going to have the best sophomore season this year? (Assuming there is one). It was obviously Nash this past year, with guys like Hemsky and Chistov falling victom to the sophomore slump. Personally, I think that it will be Eric Staal. This kid has got all the tools. Last season he had 31 points and he played on a brutal Carolina Hurricanes team. Plus he is still filling out. Staal all the way. Honourable mentions to Horton and Pitkanen though as well.

Horton
Ruutu
Tyutin sp?
Zherdev
Semin
Liles
Paul Martin

I expect Pitkanen to have an OK year but not as good as his rookie year. He will go through growing pains like Bouwmeester did.

Horton IMO could score up to 30-35 goals IMO. Realistically 20 is a reachable mark, but look for him as he could be a star next year ala Nash. Before he was hurt he was scoring like every game and was a FORCE on the ice.

Staal IMO will improve but will not be as great as Horton yet because of his skinny build.

Zherdev IMO could score 30 goals.

Semin is a great player who will be awesome with Ovechkin.

Ruutu is a great player but in his career I only expect him to score around 30 goals and 65 points per year. I don't think his offensive output will be spectacular as he was hyped.

thestonedkoala

I'm surprised no one really said Brent Burns, especially if he stays on the blueline. I guess no one watched him...

USC Trojans

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
May 17, 2002
LA Oiler fan
From the Oilers, I'd say Jarrett Stoll (and the obvious MA Bergeron)

Stoll probably won't be putting up any huge numbers soon, but will be an important piece of the Oiler's lineup especially since Reasoner's health is still a big question. This guy has the maturity of a seasoned veteran and was on the ice during key situations towards the end of last year. He was one of the most underrated rookies last year IMO.

thrashers=cup05

May 27, 2004
Exelby. He was one our best dmen loast year and i think he will be even better this year playing with either Havlid or Modry.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I would have to go with Jarret Stoll and Brooks Orpik myself.

I really like how they handled themselves in their rookie year, and with the Pens hopefully being slightly better this season, hopefully Orpik's numbers will improve and he'll be a bit more confident on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad