Sophomore Studs

Status
Not open for further replies.

eatwake

Jul 14, 2004
Jean_Jacket41 said:
You haven't see him play much i guess...
He will only improve.
50-65pts should be what you'll see Bergeron put next year.

i'll be honest, i've only seen him play a few times

but i just feel like he's already had his breakout season. i don't dispute the fact that he will continue to improve. but i don't think he'll be considered a sophomore "stud" and surprise people as much as he did this past year

Chuckalinsky

May 1, 2004
I can't believe I left out Ruutu and Zherdev. Especially since I have Zherdev in my draft. But good calls. Those two have HUGE potential for sure. Technically this doesn't count as a sophomore but I think that Michalek will have a big season for SJ as well. His offense is underrated a lot. Should be a good year!

Vic Rattlehead*

eatwake said:
i'll be honest, i've only seen him play a few times

but i just feel like he's already had his breakout season. i don't dispute the fact that he will continue to improve. but i don't think he'll be considered a sophomore "stud" and surprise people as much as he did this past year
Considering Bergeron spent about three halfs of a season on the third line and still finished good. I only expect him to improve. He'll be counted on a lot, he will have second line time and pp time.If Nylander was to comeback, He would be with Samsonov and Nylander, and that line did well in the playoffs.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I see everybody here is mentionning rookies from last years class, as having breakout season next year, Zherdev, Stall, Horton, Bergeron, Erhoff etc...how come no mention of Andrew Raycroft, Michael Ryder, even Trent Hunter... they did after all finish as the top 3 rookies, respect should be due

topshelf331

May 8, 2003
Stl
Visit site
417 TO MTL said:
I see everybody here is mentionning rookies from last years class, as having breakout season next year, Zherdev, Stall, Horton, Bergeron, Erhoff etc...how come no mention of Andrew Raycroft, Michael Ryder, even Trent Hunter... they did after all finish as the top 3 rookies, respect should be due

Probably because of the sophmore slump curse that goes along with the calder. ;)

Steve Latin*

Taranis_24 said:
Alexander Semin. Finished off last season well with a poor Caps team and hopefully will start the next season where he left off. Had heard that he has put on a little extra muscle during the offseason which should be very beneficial.

Agreed... he's my fantasy sleeper pick

S L

gretzky1545

Jun 8, 2004
417 TO MTL said:

I had assumed the query was more about who would burst out as the top sophmores, and if you are already at the top of your class(such as raycroft, ryder, and hunter were statistically) then odds are you aren't going to jump too much higher. With that said, I certainly would not look for a decrease in any of those three's stats, but frankly if I had to predict, I'd say that Ryder and Hunter will not be in the top 3 in forwards stats for sophmores, where as Raycroft will continue to pace his year's goalies. Many of the players already mentioned are more likely to improve a great amount than Ryder or Hunter.

BlackJack21

Nov 6, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Chuckalinsky said:
Who is going to have the best sophomore season this year? (Assuming there is one). It was obviously Nash this past year, with guys like Hemsky and Chistov falling victom to the sophomore slump. Personally, I think that it will be Eric Staal. This kid has got all the tools. Last season he had 31 points and he played on a brutal Carolina Hurricanes team. Plus he is still filling out. Staal all the way. Honourable mentions to Horton and Pitkanen though as well.

Highest raisers:
Zherdev, more shots, more goals
Horton, will reach 30 goals IMO
Pitkanen, more minutes
Ruutu, what a 2nd half last year (65-70)

Will fall:
Bergeron (he'll have to be very mature to stay on earth after this kind of unexpected season)
Ryder (As a habs fan I can say he have a fantastic shot, nothing else)

IMO

BJ21

Jeff Goldblum

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
I think Koltsov could break out, if he plays on the top 2 lines. He's got the speed, he's got the creativity, he's got the head for the game, all he needs is that little extra something and he can put it all together. His hands improved over the season, and should improve more this season.

Malone could also benefit from an improved pens squad. Put him with Lemieux (assuming he's not injured) and...you know what happens. =)

Orpik solidified himself as a top-4 defender in the NHL. Look for him to be known as one of the top shut down defensemen in the NHL next season.

Surovy, who I think is no longer considered a rookie, would have scored 20 this season if he played it in full. That was with Tom Kostopoulos and Rico Fata. Put him with a playmaking center and he could get 25G 30A IMO

Those are just my picks from the Pens...I think i got every sophomore on the squad :-p

I think Staal will have an amazing season, something like 60 pts.

I don't think Horton will put up the points just yet. Thats just my opinion though.

Zherdev..love his game. Had he played a full season, he could have been the leading scorer for rookies.

Patrice Bergeron will be counted on to score more. Question is, can the 19 year old handle the added attention he'll be getting from the opposition's top defenders? I think yes, but time will tell.

Last edited:

infinitesadd

May 15, 2004
Pittsburgh
I'm gonna say Ruutu and Horton as they both play a game that is very suited to the NHL. I love their styles and I think they will have great seasons. Hopefully Horton can stay healthy.

My homer picks are:

Koltsov and Orpik

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
BlackJack21 said:
Highest raisers:
Zherdev, more shots, more goals
Horton, will reach 30 goals IMO
Pitkanen, more minutes
Ruutu, what a 2nd half last year (65-70)

Will fall:
Bergeron (he'll have to be very mature to stay on earth after this kind of unexpected season)
Ryder (As a habs fan I can say he have a fantastic shot, nothing else)

IMO

BJ21

Well as a fellow Habs fans, i'll have to say that you don't watch enough of Ryder to make that comment, if you think that all he has is his shot, your totally wrong, he's an underrated passer, he did lead all rookies in assists, he's physical, plays hard all the time, and he's worked on his skating...he got better and better as the season went on, so I expect the same from him, I think that he'll be a consistent 30-35 goals and 60-65 points type of player, the instincts he has for scoring can't be taught, it's uncanny how he's always in the right position to score, from inside the opposions blueline, there's not many players who can weave through 3 or 4 defenders and pick the corner on goalie like he can, ask Caps fans....

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
bobbsktball1 said:
I had assumed the query was more about who would burst out as the top sophmores, and if you are already at the top of your class(such as raycroft, ryder, and hunter were statistically) then odds are you aren't going to jump too much higher. With that said, I certainly would not look for a decrease in any of those three's stats, but frankly if I had to predict, I'd say that Ryder and Hunter will not be in the top 3 in forwards stats for sophmores, where as Raycroft will continue to pace his year's goalies. Many of the players already mentioned are more likely to improve a great amount than Ryder or Hunter.

Interesting, good post, I disagree though about Ryder, anybody who's really watched him, will agree that he got better as the year went along, and it's a trend he's had his whole career, he's not the type to rest on his laurels of this year and not show up ready next year, I think he'll put up similar number to last year, maybe even surpassing those, but as I mentionned in the other post, he'll top out at around 30 to 35 goals and 60 to 65 points

gretzky1545

Jun 8, 2004
417 TO MTL said:
Interesting, good post, I disagree though about Ryder, anybody who's really watched him, will agree that he got better as the year went along, and it's a trend he's had his whole career, he's not the type to rest on his laurels of this year and not show up ready next year, I think he'll put up similar number to last year, maybe even surpassing those, but as I mentionned in the other post, he'll top out at around 30 to 35 goals and 60 to 65 points

Yeah, I didn't mean that they would not progress, or that they had topped out. I don't know nearly enough about Hunter and Ryder to make that kind of bold statement, and I don't see how it could even possibly be true. I just meant that ruutu, zherdev, horton and so on were likely to improve more than ryder and hunter.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Pens4ever said:
Orpik solidified himself as a top-4 defender in the NHL. Look for him to be known as one of the top shut down defensemen in the NHL next season.
Orpik won't become a top shut down defenseman next year. It'll take a few more years for that to happen, but I do expect him to continue to improve.

If Konstantin Koltsov finds the hands to keep up with his feet, he could become a very solid player.

BlackJack21

Nov 6, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
bobbsktball1 said:
Yeah, I didn't mean that they would not progress, or that they had topped out. I don't know nearly enough about Hunter and Ryder to make that kind of bold statement, and I don't see how it could even possibly be true. I just meant that ruutu, zherdev, horton and so on were likely to improve more than ryder and hunter.

I may have been a little hard with him too...

My opinion is more that I think he already reach his full potential...<

BJ21

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Two guys I think can hit the 20 goal mark next year...Chuck Kobasew and Dustin Brown. Surprised I havent seen Chuckie's name mentioned.

Muddy Wilbury

Flyers Fan in Ottawa
Apr 3, 2002
Ottawa, ON.
Hero of Tragedy said:
Two guys I think can hit the 20 goal mark next year...Chuck Kobasew and Dustin Brown. Surprised I havent seen Chuckie's name mentioned.

Brown was looking good before he went down with an injury. what kinda icetime will he get next year?

personally i like hunter and ruutu puting up solid sophomore years.

-cnote-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad