Confirmed with Link: Soooooo... Who is available on the trade market?

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
Chris Kelly's best season was 39 points, and they gave him a 4 year deal at 3 mill per, WITH a NMC, at 31 years old...yet Smith's contract is worse despite being 24, only playing 2 seasons and both being better than ANY Chris Kelly has ever had? I strongly, strongly disagree.

Smith's contract isn't great. But never compare it to that albatross of a contract that is Chris Kelly. Give me a ******* break.

Glue guy. Intangibles. Locker room presence.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Smith was paid 1.4M this past season. Second best dollar per point ratio behind only Soderberg. Yet he is being judged on what he'll be making next year.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Smith was paid 1.4M this past season. Second best dollar per point ratio behind only Soderberg. Yet he is being judged on what he'll be making next year.

He doesn't have the top6 talent and brings very little on the table, if he's not scoring then he brings absolutely nothing. I'd rather have size on the 3rd line. He is our 9th-10th forward and is making 3.4M.

It's really hard to find a place for him, doesn't play well with bergeron+marchand and I don't know if Smith-Spooner-Pasta could be effective. That's a nightmare line for Julien, and also we need to add more top talent somehow.

Last edited:

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
He doesn't have the top6 talent and brings very little on the table, if he's not scoring then he brings absolutely nothing. I'd rather have size on the 3rd line. He is our 9th-10th forward and is making 3.4M.

It's really hard to find a place for him, doesn't play well with bergeron+marchand and I don't know if Smith-Spooner-Pasta could be effective. That's a nightmare line for Julien, and also we need to add more top talent somehow.

He deserves a chance to prove last year wasn't a sophomore slump IMO. Confidence would go a long way for him, some of the best hands on the team.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He deserves a chance to prove last year wasn't a sophomore slump IMO. Confidence would go a long way for him, some of the best hands on the team.

We were 22nd in scoring, we need more from our top9 and he is the 1st player who is out, he may have good hands but he rarely challenges, may be confidence thing but didn't see that too often.

We can't keep everyone and expect a different result. If he is here he is allowed to prove me wrong but for me he is the 1st guy who I would use in our re-tooling. Also wasn't he a chia signing, asked in a press conference? Don't see how he fits into Cam's style.

PatriceBergeron

Apr 7, 2014
MA
Backes is only a year and a half older than Krejci, way more physical, and has scored more goals than Krejci almost every year since they started their careers.

Oshie is an upgrade over Smith in both points and physicality.

We save nearly 2.5 million in cap space in that swap.

That trade is a win all around for us. A better question is why St. Louis would do it? Unless they felt that Krejci would be a breakout offensive star in their system; or we added a piece that was significant to make it worth a shake up for both teams. Could only be better if we can acquire the rights for Sobotka too.

Career playoff stats:

Backes- 29GP 5G 8A -5
Oshie - 30GP 5G 4A -12

Disagree. St. Louis would do it in a heart beat. Those guys are not skilled enough to create offense for themselves in the playoffs. They never show up. Krejci is bored by the regular season but usually turns it on for the playoffs when he's healthy. If we want to be regular season warriors, sure, Backes and Oshie are great. If we want to win a Cup I wouldn't even want them on the team.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

I'm all for trading Smith because like you I don't see a spot for him here. It has nothing to do with his salary though. So far he has been good value, I'll judge him on next years salary based on what he does next year not this year .

amazingcrwns

drop the puck
Feb 13, 2003
Western MA
Visit site
Alright, I'm asking because I just don't know. I really liked the idea of trading Krejci+ for Seth Jones in order to improve the blue line, I'd bring back Soderberg as the #2 C and give the #3 role to Spooner. I liked the move because while Krejci isn't an old player, you still get younger and save cap space for the next few years. You also still have a top 9 of Bergeron, Marchand, Eriksson, Lucic, Soderberg, Connolly, Smith, Spooner, Pasta.

Thinking about that trade, and with the draft coming up, I was wondering if there's a realistic way to come away from the draft with Hanifin instead of making the move for Jones.

So I'm not great at trade proposals, but I'm looking at Visentin's numbers from the AHL last year and it looks like Arizona goaltending prospect pool is more quantity than quality. So I'm going to assume Subban would have some value to Arizona at this point.

What would the Bruins have to add to #14 and Subban to make it happen?
#14, Subban, and Spooner for #3?
#14, Subban, and Morrow for #3?
Krejci & Subban?

Alright I have no clue at this point so I'll leave it to those with more knowledge than me to answer the question. Is there a realistic trade for Hanifin that'd interest Arizona?

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
I would do the first 2 deals but draft Marner. Trading Krejci means no first line (like this season with an injured Krejci) and one of the worst top-9 in the league.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Alright I have no clue at this point so I'll leave it to those with more knowledge than me to answer the question. Is there a realistic trade for Hanifin that'd interest Arizona?

I think that Arizona dealing the #3 pick is a pipe dream. The team lost out on McEichel, so it will draft Strome—the next best center prospect—with that pick. I just can't see the team trading the pick for an older center (e.g. Krejci) plus Boston's #14 pick and a prospect or two.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'm all for trading Smith because like you I don't see a spot for him here. It has nothing to do with his salary though. So far he has been good value, I'll judge him on next years salary based on what he does next year not this year .

It comes about the cap when our 10th guy is making 3.4M, that's 4th line guy then.

Our top6 needs more talent and that automatically pushes Smith to 4th line and that just doesn't work for many reasons.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Plus if it were one of the board fat heads we would hear nothing but , oh, but he missed camp, then he played on three different lines, and he had his next deal on his mind.

Smith will come in and be one of our better forwards next year.

This was three years ago ..

2011-12
Hobey Baker Award finalist ... named AHCA First-Team West All-America and Second-Team All-America by INCH and College Hockey News... tabbed CCHA All-Tournament Team and First-Team All-CCHA for the second straight year ... named Inside College Hockey's (INCH) CCHA Player of the Year ... INCH National Player of the Week Jan. 23 after four-goal weekend vs. Western Michigan ... three-time CCHA Player of the Month for November, January and March ... four-time CCHA Offensive Player of the Week (most of any player in the league) ... named MVP of the Denver Cup Classic, leading Miami to the title, and also on the all-tournament team after three-goal weekend ... named a team captain on Dec. 5 ... finished second nationally with 30 goals (seventh in Miami single-season history) ... played in 39 games missing the first two of the year, while totaling 48 points, which led the team and tied for tenth nationally ... dished out 18 assists, which was third on the team... won the CCHA goal-scoring title for the second straight year with 18 goals in league play (five more than anyone else) ... his 28 points in league play were third, one behind the two leaders ... tallied eight game-winning goals this year, which led the country and tied a Miami single-season record, while he finished his career with 12 game-winning goals, which ties for second in school history ... had four straight game-winners from Jan. 7 to Jan. 21 ... recorded two hat tricks this year (only CCHA player to do so), notching three goals Oct. 14 at Colgate in his first game of the year and Jan. 20 vs. WMU, giving him three career hat tricks ... totaled a career-high four points twice this year, Oct. 14 at Colgate and Feb. 25 at Ohio State, his first and last games of the regular season ... totaled 14 multi-point games, six multi-goal games and six multi-assist games ... dished out a career-high-tying three assists Feb. 25 vs. OSU ... posted a +26 rating on the year, which ranked third in the country ... had nine power play goals and two short-handed goals ... collected 11 penalties for 22 minutes ... had a career-long-tying four-game goal streak (Feb. 17- Feb. 25) and went on a career-long 10-game point streak (Feb. 10-March 17) and a six-game multi-point streak (Feb. 24-March 17) until having both snapped in the NCAA Tournament ... blocked 19 shots.

He played 45 games total in the AHL...total.

In 163 games as a Bruin has gone 33-58-91, IN CLAUDE'S SYSTEM ... Scored more '14 play-off goals than Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, and Eriksson. Scored as many as Lucic and only one less than team leader that year Iginla.

All at contracts of 900k and 1.4k .

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I agree, Smith has some talent.

That being said, he's our softest forward, softer than Eriksson, softer than Pastrnak... He just looked bad this past season, very lazy.

Give him until the deadline next year and see how he does.

Three Dog

Apr 12, 2015
Career playoff stats:

Backes- 29GP 5G 8A -5
Oshie - 30GP 5G 4A -12

Disagree. St. Louis would do it in a heart beat. Those guys are not skilled enough to create offense for themselves in the playoffs. They never show up. Krejci is bored by the regular season but usually turns it on for the playoffs when he's healthy. If we want to be regular season warriors, sure, Backes and Oshie are great. If we want to win a Cup I wouldn't even want them on the team.

Understandable point, but for whatever the reason, the Blues (as a team) seem to consistantly tank in the playoffs.

....I'd love to see Backes come to Boston, Keep Krejci (maybe have a Krejci, Lucic, Backes combo)...would probably bring the beast out in Lucic again. ....and Backes would likely benefit from those linemates.

....I know cap space is an issue, so if its Kelly, Smith, Seids (or whatever pieces are moved to create space), so be it.

.....but one thing I'd consider, which I don't recall being mentioned here before, is throwing Spooner in as part of the deal (I realize not many are gonna agree with that). I like Spooner, but up until his last call up this season, he hasnt impressed me much. ....I'd call him "unproven". ....but his value has gone up i'd say. ...and he'd likely benefit the Blues as well as Backes would for the B's. I think he'd be an attractive piece for them.

Then your top 6 would look like:
Lucic Krecji Backes
March Berg Pasta

I'd be more than happy with that. ...thoughts?

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I agree, Smith has some talent.

That being said, he's our softest forward, softer than Eriksson, softer than Pastrnak... He just looked bad this past season, very lazy.

Give him until the deadline next year and see how he does.

No. I want him gone yesterday, for almost anything. You can have a few less than physical types who nonetheless contribute in other ways. Smith is a ghost much of the time who gives you nothing when not scoring, which is also much of the time. He appears to be soft both physically & mentally. I don't wish to be mean or unfair, but he should be dealt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad