Confirmed with Link: Soooooo... Who is available on the trade market?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
For Hawks these 4 names are likely available

C/W Patrick Sharp (2 yrs at 5.9M)
LW/RW Bryan Bickell (2 yrs at 4M)
LW/RW Kris Versteeg (1 yr at 2.2M)
C/W Andrew Shaw (1 yr at 2M ,,, RFA after)

Not sure if any would fit the B's

Sadly none of those solve any of our issues, Seabrook/Pokka would be something we need from the Hawks but they are not available.

Shaw is the closest but he is too expensive to be our 4th line guy in our situation and we have better players on top9.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
Hoping to see if the Blues open up any possibilities. I doubt we get any defense from them, but I can see Backes or Oshie possibly being available.

MOOKER411

Nov 13, 2009
KERROBERT, SASK
Hmm. Not sure you can project picks that precisely. The Globe & Mail has referred to Burns as a high risk, high reward trick or treat who is unlikely to change. Not encouraging.

Pencil in Krug & Trotman, btw.

Well, it was more of a potential pick and some high hopes with Carlo. Burns may have risk but doesn't Seidenberg or Smith ? Burns scored more points than Seidenberg and Smith combined so it is a risk I am willing to take. I know what we get with Seidenberg and Smith and well...I for one could live without them. Krug is a 6th d-man and Trotman? AHL bound. The end.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Sadly none of those solve any of our issues, Seabrook/Pokka would be something we need from the Hawks but they are not available.

Shaw is the closest but he is too expensive to be our 4th line guy in our situation and we have better players on top9.

I would take Shaw over Smith any day. Little loss of production and brings an edge. He also competes every night something that cannot be said for Reilly Smith.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
The Krecji/Smith for Backes/Oshie deal is interesting but I can't see either team doing it. Just moving pieces for the sake of moving pieces. Maybe the new GM here would do it if he isn't a Krecji guy but I can't see Armstrong making that deal. They are going to have a tough time moving Smith's contract. It is in many ways worse than Kelly's.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
The Krecji/Smith for Backes/Oshie deal is interesting but I can't see either team doing it. Just moving pieces for the sake of moving pieces. Maybe the new GM here would do it if he isn't a Krecji guy but I can't see Armstrong making that deal. They are going to have a tough time moving Smith's contract. It is in many ways worse than Kelly's.

Chris Kelly's best season was 39 points, and they gave him a 4 year deal at 3 mill per, WITH a NMC, at 31 years old...yet Smith's contract is worse despite being 24, only playing 2 seasons and both being better than ANY Chris Kelly has ever had? I strongly, strongly disagree.

Smith's contract isn't great. But never compare it to that albatross of a contract that is Chris Kelly. Give me a ******* break.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I would take Shaw over Smith any day. Little loss of production and brings an edge. He also competes every night something that cannot be said for Reilly Smith.

1st he takes stupid penalties, I'm okay with Marchand, we were 22nd in scoring and adding shaw into our top9 wouldn't help us at all, we need a stronger top9 than that.

Shaw has long strecthes were he does nothing. I want Smith gone but we need someone who can help our scoring/make us a stronger team.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
He's the only guy on that list I'd even entertain the idea of dealing for.

Good luck to Chicago trying to get a good deal on Sharp or Bickell

2nd + good prospect isn't hard to see Hawks getting for Sharp and I would be fine with it

I agree with you that Bickell is a dumpster fire and disaster of a contract for Hawks. Likely stuck with it

I expect Sharp + Shaw + Steeger to be gone in offseason for non cap assets (Picks/prospects) and replaced by Panarin/Hartman/Danault on NHL roster

The fact Hawks went out and got Panarin and seem to be speaking so highly of him makes me think he will be on NHL roster next year. A virtual lock at this point and TT has likely nailed down his spot as well. Hawks top 6 will be interesting as Panarin/TT/Kane all play similar game according to scouts

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
1st he takes stupid penalties, I'm okay with Marchand, we were 22nd in scoring and adding shaw into our top9 wouldn't help us at all, we need a stronger top9 than that.

Shaw has long strecthes were he does nothing. I want Smith gone but we need someone who can help our scoring/make us a stronger team.

Versteeg?

61 GP with 14 goals + 20 assists for 35 pts and a +11 this season

Would have had 20 G / 45-50 pt season if not for injury

At 2.2M for only 1 more year cost wise he isn't hard to fit on your cap (Though to be fair I am not 100% sure what your cap situation looks like)

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com

Yeah, I would think Boston would need to add a sweetner for that deal. Unless St. Louis felt that Krejci was a significant enough upgrade over Backes; which is debatable. Even then, like you said, its just swapping players to try to shake up things.

I do really like the trade for Boston though; even with something added. Put Connolly with Bergeron & Marchand and have another top line of Lucic, Backes, and Oshie. A lot more bang in that top 6.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Versteeg?

61 GP with 14 goals + 20 assists for 35 pts and a +11 this season

Would have had 20 G / 45-50 pt season if not for injury

At 2.2M for only 1 more year cost wise he isn't hard to fit on your cap (Though to be fair I am not 100% sure what your cap situation looks like)

Well I've been watching your games and you know as well that he has been a healthy scratch player since his injury, I'm glad they finally gave TT a shot. Also I don't like his effort level, lots of nights you barely know he is playing.

We need someone who can be better than Smith, help us to be contenders, lucic-krecji-eriksson-marchand-bergeron-connolly-spooner-pasta would all be ahead of him. We need top talent, we have enough 3rd liners. (Our bottom 6 needs to get cheaper, so we could add more talent for once).

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yeah, I would think Boston would need to add a sweetner for that deal. Unless St. Louis felt that Krejci was a significant enough upgrade over Backes; which is debatable. Even then, like you said, its just swapping players to try to shake up things.

I do really like the trade for Boston though; even with something added. Put Connolly with Bergeron & Marchand and have another top line of Lucic, Backes, and Oshie. A lot more bang in that top 6.

Getting Backes for Krecji would make us weaker, older and again would not help our scoring at all.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Well I've been watching your games and you know as well that he has been a healthy scratch player since his injury, I'm glad they finally gave TT a shot. Also I don't like his effort level, lots of nights you barely know he is playing.

We need someone who can be better than Smith, help us to be contenders, lucic-krecji-eriksson-marchand-bergeron-connolly-spooner-pasta would all be ahead of him. We need top talent, we have enough 3rd liners. (Our bottom 6 needs to get cheaper, so we could add more talent for once).

It is true that towards end of year Steeger got his head stuck up his ### and has yet to get it out

But for a good chunk of year he was playing great. Not sure why Steeger seems to do this but yeah he can be streaky and its great to see TT out there and getting experience

Anyway Sharp could fit under your cap? That would be top 6 scoring talent B's could use along with speed

Sharp had bad regular season but seems to have found his game in this years playoffs

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It is true that towards end of year Steeger got his head stuck up his ### and has yet to get it out

But for a good chunk of year he was playing great. Not sure why Steeger seems to do this but yeah he can be streaky and its great to see TT out there and getting experience

Anyway Sharp could fit under your cap? That would be top 6 scoring talent B's could use along with speed

Sharp had bad regular season but seems to have found his game in this years playoffs

Sharp is something that we can't definitely add, this is not good enough to be all in team and Sharp would be wasted and for his cap hit we would have to sell players, so it's a big no for him, good player but wasted on our team.

Also Versteeg would be behind Lucic and Marchand so at best he would be a 3rd line lw, we need something bigger than that and something younger than Sharp. Tough situation. Also everyones production goes down with us and Versteeg has had the chance to play with Kane.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Getting Backes for Krecji would make us weaker, older and again would not help our scoring at all.

Backes is only a year and a half older than Krejci, way more physical, and has scored more goals than Krejci almost every year since they started their careers.

Oshie is an upgrade over Smith in both points and physicality.

We save nearly 2.5 million in cap space in that swap.

That trade is a win all around for us. A better question is why St. Louis would do it? Unless they felt that Krejci would be a breakout offensive star in their system; or we added a piece that was significant to make it worth a shake up for both teams. Could only be better if we can acquire the rights for Sobotka too.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Backes is only a year and a half older than Krejci, way more physical, and has scored more goals than Krejci almost every year since they started their careers.

Oshie is an upgrade over Smith in both points and physicality.

We save nearly 2.5 million in cap space in that swap.

That trade is a win all around for us. A better question is why St. Louis would do it? Unless they felt that Krejci would be a breakout offensive star in their system; or we added a piece that was significant to make it worth a shake up for both teams. Could only be better if we can acquire the rights for Sobotka too.

Oshie for Smith I'm fine with, but Backes it's a no. He wouldn't help us at all, rather trade krecji for D help and ride with these C players than take Backes who does nothing for me. Rather go with stronger D and a bit weaker C than weak D and okay C.

We need scorers/D players, not C players who are getting old. Also he is UFA 2016.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->