Confirmed with Link: Soooooo... Who is available on the trade market?

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
While I agree that none of these guys are worth what they get paid, I don't think we have a replacement for Chara or even Kelly. Don't laugh at the Kelly comment. He does bring leadership and is still excellent on the defensive end of the game. Seidenberg and Smith however are no longer fits with this club for what they bring game in and game out. They are very replaceable with either cheaper options or just better players for the same money. I would rather try and package those 2 for at least one upgrade, prefer a better defenceman. Maybe Brent Burns who is just as fast or just as slow as either Seidneberg and Smith depending if you are a glass half full or empty kind of person. With the injuries this team had this past season, maybe a guy like Brent Burns is what we need. Can fill dual roles depending how healthy or unhealthy the team is.
Brent Burns name is popping up recently. Is so far just a rumour but the Sharks need changes too. Throw in Subban ? How about the following...

to :bruins Brent Burns and 2015 2nd round pick

to :sharks Dennis Seidenberg, Reilly Smith and Malcolm Subban

Thoughts ???

I agree with much of this though I don't know BB's game. No way I throw in a blue chip like Subban. DS and certainly Softie Smith - who I can't wait to unload - would be fine.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Sadly its very rare a gm will say he is trading a player by name... it hurts the value. Opposing gm's are prohibited by mentioning any interst in any player under contract to another team.

Sometimes a gm will name his untouchables... thus by logic also naming available players but weve seen gms proceed to trade their untouchables after naming them.

We heard about gms faxing lists of available players and then not Making a single trade.

As fans we wish we knew the legitimate rumors but it will never happen. Realistically any player is available for a big enough offer. But in todays cap era with all the no-move clauses and how ufa has dried up, we wont be seeing very many 'hockey' trades.

Look at big name players who are being overpaid as the guys who are available for trade and ill use myself as the source for that one. On edmonton im 99.9% sure you can have nikita nikitan or teddy purcell. Another guy i strongly believe will be available is luke gazdic.

Theres been no official word sayingany of the kids here are available. In fact mactavish took the time to say on record that they arent available.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Defenseman Dan Hamhuis.

One year left on his contract at $4,250,000 / year.

Hamuis is a bc guy who left money on the table to go home. Unless he is asking to be moved, its very risky for a team to trade someone like this... shane doan in phoenix is another example and chris phillips reportedly.

I know vancouver media/fans speculate hamhuis is available but i seriously doubt its true.

Look for kevin bieska to be the one they move... big cap hit/ being used as bottom pair guy/keeps saying crap in the mediaa that is stupid to say. Potentially has value to a gm that remembers how good bieska was just recently

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
There's Phaneuf who's apparently been available for awhile and who we've been rumored to be in on during the deadline.

I'm split on him. With the right coaches and players surrounding him, he'd be a great asset. I've just seen him make so many dumb plays over the course of the past 3 seasons, mental mistakes that you would expect out of a younger dman, not one that's been in the league for as long as he has.

I think I'd be fine with him as a second pairing guy with a solid defensive partner playing the right side. Maybe Seids could be the new Hamerlik effect for Phaneuf?

Seids and Phaneuf on the 2nd pair ? Based on Seidenberg's play this year ,I think that would be a disaster.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
There's Phaneuf who's apparently been available for awhile and who we've been rumored to be in on during the deadline.

I'm split on him. With the right coaches and players surrounding him, he'd be a great asset. I've just seen him make so many dumb plays over the course of the past 3 seasons, mental mistakes that you would expect out of a younger dman, not one that's been in the league for as long as he has.

I think I'd be fine with him as a second pairing guy with a solid defensive partner playing the right side. Maybe Seids could be the new Hamerlik effect for Phaneuf?

His salary would be a big time stumbling block I would think and Seidenberg hasn't looked that good over the last two seasons even before he got injured. I don't like it. 11 million against the cap for that pairing? That is too much for my liking.

I see the appeal of getting Phaneuf, just not at what he is getting paid and Seidenberg just is not the player he was, there is no way around that.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I don't think Sobotka would come to the Bruins-at least not as long as Julien is still here (Chiarelli is already gone) but he doesn't appear to have much love for the Bruins.

As for Phaneuf-we already have too many slow defenseman and I don't think adding another improves the team. Frankly unless the salary retained results in a cap hit under Seids' current hit I would rather keep Seids.

OrrCam

Aug 9, 2008

Phaneuf? Yeah I'm split on him also. On the one hand I don't really want to see him in a B's uniform and on the other hand I don't really want to see him in a B's uniform.

He's really slow (we have enough of those already) and, as you said, prone to mental mistakes. And he likely comes with a millstone of a contract, in the absence of very significant holdback by the Leafs.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Oh and I'm pretty sure the Hawks will be looking to unload Sharp and any other high cap hit, but low production players. I also bet they look to move Crawford.

I've heard rumors about Malkin being traded but I don't buy that one-Letang however is a maybe. I would t want Letang because of his health issues but I would seriously look at Malkin if I was team not already suffering from cap hell.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I don't think Sobotka would come to the Bruins-at least not as long as Julien is still here (Chiarelli is already gone) but he doesn't appear to have much love for the Bruins.

As for Phaneuf-we already have too many slow defenseman and I don't think adding another improves the team. Frankly unless the salary retained results in a cap hit under Seids' current hit I would rather keep Seids.

Only if we can get someone significantly better than Seids am I interested in keeping Seidenberg. If Seidenberg is the better player on the 2nd pair ,we are in trouble.

MOOKER411

Nov 13, 2009
KERROBERT, SASK
I agree with much of this though I don't know BB's game. No way I throw in a blue chip like Subban. DS and certainly Softie Smith - who I can't wait to unload - would be fine.

I am eyeing the Sharks second pick which could potentially be Brandon Carlo. That would give us Chara 6'9, Hamilton 6'5, Burns 6'5 and Carlo 6'5. That is a huge top 4. Put all 4 out on the penalty kill and stand hand to hand in a line. Who would get through. Red rover red rover...hammer the Habs over !!!

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I am eyeing the Sharks second pick which could potentially be Brandon Carlo. That would give us Chara 6'9, Hamilton 6'5, Burns 6'5 and Carlo 6'5. That is a huge top 4. Put all 4 out on the penalty kill and stand hand to hand in a line. Who would get through. Red rover red rover...hammer the Habs over !!!

:cheers:

PatriceBergeron

Apr 7, 2014
MA
Revisit Oshie talks for sure!

Oshie + Sobotka + Reaves

for Eriksson, Smith, Subban?

makes us much, much harder to play against while adding skill and legit players.

Why do people always talk about bringing Oshie to the Bruins?

The guy is a perennial playoff no show.

If people didn't like Seguin they will hate Oshie.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Revisit Oshie talks for sure!

Oshie + Sobotka + Reaves

for Eriksson, Smith, Subban?

makes us much, much harder to play against while adding skill and legit players.

That's awful value for Boston. And as much as I'm a fan of Sobotka, he's too expensive for 4th line center. Subban > Reaves, and I prefer Eriksson to Oshie.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
While I agree that none of these guys are worth what they get paid, I don't think we have a replacement for Chara or even Kelly. Don't laugh at the Kelly comment. He does bring leadership and is still excellent on the defensive end of the game. Seidenberg and Smith however are no longer fits with this club for what they bring game in and game out. They are very replaceable with either cheaper options or just better players for the same money. I would rather try and package those 2 for at least one upgrade, prefer a better defenceman. Maybe Brent Burns who is just as fast or just as slow as either Seidneberg and Smith depending if you are a glass half full or empty kind of person. With the injuries this team had this past season, maybe a guy like Brent Burns is what we need. Can fill dual roles depending how healthy or unhealthy the team is.
Brent Burns name is popping up recently. Is so far just a rumour but the Sharks need changes too. Throw in Subban ? How about the following...

to :bruins Brent Burns and 2015 2nd round pick

to :sharks Dennis Seidenberg, Reilly Smith and Malcolm Subban

Thoughts ???

Take out the 2nd rounder coming back to Boston and I'd still do that deal.

Hard to tell what San Jose are going to do. I think they want to rebuild but with Thornton and Marleau refusing to waive their no-trades it makes it hard for them to blow it up and re-build properly.

But they have next to nothing in their pipeline for young goaltenders. They have picked one goaltender in the past 5-6 drafts. They might have interest in Subban.

Either way Burns would be a great addition and if he's available likely one of the very few top-end D who might, might be available for the right price. Problem is with the lack of available D in UFA if Burns was available it would become a bidding war.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad