Sony PS5

Status
Not open for further replies.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Everybody running out to buy a console that most new tvs don't even support. Buy a new console to run what your current can already do. Playstation already said it wouldn't be worth it until another year. By then they will fix issues and price might go down.
I still have a launch day PS4. Upgrading after 7 years doesn't seem like such a stretch to me, especially with backwards compatibility.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I still have a launch day PS4. Upgrading after 7 years doesn't seem like such a stretch to me, especially with backwards compatibility.

I get that. It's worth it to you for a slight upgrade but now you will have to be investing in a new TV at some point to get the full benefits. I'm assuming you don't have a 4k/120hz TV right now.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
I get that. It's worth it to you for a slight upgrade but now you will have to be investing in a new TV at some point to get the full benefits. I'm assuming you don't have a 4k/120hz TV right now.
This isn't only a slight upgrade. The launch PS4 already has issues with games like Horizon Zero Dawn and Ghost of Tsushima, can't imagine the strain a game like Cyberpunk 2077 is going to put on it. And why would I need to upgrade to 4K/120hz? People get so hung up on refresh rate and FPS that they forget to enjoy the game they are playing.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I was in the cart clicking checkout for a couple hours, then I actually got past that page and was able to select my store, so I was pumped. Then I got stuck clicking the “continue to payment information” button and then eventually got a message saying they’re out of stock.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I was in the cart clicking checkout for a couple hours, then I actually got past that page and was able to select my store, so I was pumped. Then I got stuck clicking the “continue to payment information” button and then eventually got a message saying they’re out of stock.
I did too. Even the out of stock message but I continued to keep clicking. Eventually it worked.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Well the launch PS4 runs games at 1080p 30-60fps correct? Assuming most people don't have the 1-2k TV to maximize these consoles day one. He's probably getting 4k in 30-60fps. So yeah, a slight upgrade.
You are only comparing screen resolutions lol. Nevermind the upgraded tech right??? lol

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Well the launch PS4 runs games at 1080p 30-60fps correct? Assuming most people don't have the 1-2k TV to maximize these consoles day one. He's probably getting 4k in 30-60fps. So yeah, a slight upgrade.

4k at 60fps is pretty significant by itself. None of the current consoles can pull that off. That isn’t factoring the fine tuning they can do within that based on the improvements to every single piece of hardware.

Two cars with the similar top speeds aren’t necessarily going to have similar lap times.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
What a crap show pre-ordering was, but to be fair not sure it would have been any better if they all just went live at the same time. Luckily i managed to get one, hopefully Amazon delivers on release day, that didnt happen with the Switch.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
4k at 60fps is pretty significant by itself. None of the current consoles can pull that off. That isn’t factoring the fine tuning they can do within that based on the improvements to every single piece of hardware.

Two cars with the similar top speeds aren’t necessarily going to have similar lap times.

You are assuming it will even be able to run that and people have a proper TV for it. These things are always over advertised. Wasn't the launch PS4 suppose to do 4k/30fps? So we are getting excited over 30 more frames in 7 years? I've learned my lesson getting consoles first day. Can't even max the console out. By the time you have a TV that will they will have a better/cheaper version of the console out.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
This isn't only a slight upgrade. The launch PS4 already has issues with games like Horizon Zero Dawn and Ghost of Tsushima, can't imagine the strain a game like Cyberpunk 2077 is going to put on it. And why would I need to upgrade to 4K/120hz? People get so hung up on refresh rate and FPS that they forget to enjoy the game they are playing.
I could care less about 4k 120fps.
I mean, 4k 60fps isn’t even standard yet...

Id choose higher resolution over higher frame rate anyway, if given the choice.

I have the standard PS4 (only 1080p) and the Xbox one S so I’m not even gaming in true native 4k yet. I can’t wait to see what my tv looks like with native 4k games (Sony 900 series). The ps5 is going to be a big step up for me. Just the use of SSD’s alone is going to be huge. No load times will be amazing.

Last edited:

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
That’s what happened to me too. Then they re-listed more around midnight. Same thing kept happening. Then I finally got to the page where you enter all your payment info and click the complete order button. I spent about 3 hours (on and off) clicking that button but it would never go through. I’d get a loading wheel saying “processing payment” but it would never process it.

I clicked it one last time and walked away, then I heard my phone get a text message and it was an order confirmation. ‍♂️

Theeze0504

Aug 18, 2005
The price gap between the two consoles is ridiculous. $629 CAD for the exact same console plus a disk drive? That better be the best damn disk drive ever made! :laugh:

You know what I think? (at least in my opinion anyways) The price gap is on purpose, Sony will get the money lost on each sale from the digital edition, as they get a large chunk from digital sales
The disc version costs more in terms of games packaging, sharing costs with the stores, disc pressing...etc More importantly, they are also prone to the used games market where they get absolutely nothing out of it.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
You are assuming it will even be able to run that and people have a proper TV for it. These things are always over advertised. Wasn't the launch PS4 suppose to do 4k/30fps? So we are getting excited over 30 more frames in 7 years? I've learned my lesson getting consoles first day. Can't even max the console out. By the time you have a TV that will they will have a better/cheaper version of the console out.
This is probably true, but there are people out there who will benefit from an upgrade. I'm like that other person, still have a launch ps4 but I do have a 4k/120 tv.

Another reason to wait is there just aren't many games at all coming out, but having the new system is fun and if people have the money then having some meaningless fun in a year full of misery is probably worth it.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

The developers say it can. That’s all I really have to go on. And I have a tv that can run it. It’s a 3 year old Vizio that only cost about $1k at the time of purchase. It isn’t exactly exclusive tech anymore.

I think the 4K thing on the launch ps4 was more of a theoretical possibility, similar to how the ps5 is capable of 8k, but we won’t ever really see that on games without a pro model. Maybe we’ll get 8k video.

There’s always going to be untapped potential somewhere. Right now my tv can handle more than my ps4 pro. In two months, my ps5 will be able to out perform my tv. 3-4 years from now I’ll probably have a 120hz 8k tv that the ps5 can’t keep up with. Oh well. It is what it is.

Last edited:

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Still no email confirmation from GameStop but the confirmation page did mention “there can be a delay in the confirmation email due to high order volume.”

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
This is probably true, but there are people out there who will benefit from an upgrade. I'm like that other person, still have a launch ps4 but I do have a 4k/120 tv.
I looked up the specifications on my TV, and it also is 4K 120hz. It's 3 years old, so I'm not sure why he's talking like it is rare technology? Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Reactions: WeDislikeEich
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad