Sony PS5

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
I'm torn now as well. Here in Canada its 650 + what it'll cost to upgrade my monitor to make it worth getting. That added in with the fact I need to upgrade from my current laptop anyway, and I'm just considering building a decent PC setup for about 2 grand anyway that I can do some light gaming on and holding off a year or 2 to save up for the console. Would cost more to get the ps5 and upgrade to a good laptop for work anyway, so I think its the better option for where I'm at.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Building a new PC instead of getting one of the new consoles this year is a pretty reasonable decision, tbh. Will probably do the same and get a PS5 next year'ish. Have a pre-order in just in case, I guess.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Couldn't get one pre-ordered. Good lord today sucked.
I’ve been trying for at least 4 hours now. I’m still trying. Amazon finally has the page up but they’re still saying unavailable. They went live for like 2 minutes and some people were able to get them quick. But then the page disappeared and said “404 error”. But now it’s back.

This pre order launch couldn’t have been more chaotic. I guess it fits the theme of 2020 pretty well, eh?

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
keep refreshing amazon digital if you want, it keeps popping up (canada).

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
So happy I managed to get preorder it on walmart when it first dropped

idk why but I just knew they would drop early. I feel bad for the people who waited cause they thought it would be tomorrow....because they literally were told they'd go live tomorrow. More to come I'd assume though

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Finally got my order to go through on Best Buy. I must have hit that “place order” button about 100x. Finally just randomly went through about 30mins ago.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
PS+ is the equivalent to Nintendo's online thing or Xbox Live. A way for consoles to milk a subscription out of you in order for you to able to play games online. They give you a couple free games every month at least, and it seems like it'll get PS5 owners several (dozens?) high profile PS4 games for free as long as they have a subscription.

In terms of what games are available digitally, I dunno? I imagine they'd just have the PS4 catalog in their online store but I couldn't say for sure at this point. At the very least it sounds like physical copies will work if you stick the disc in, at least "99%" of the time.
Thanks. The PS4 catalogue is the dealbreaker for me, so I guess I'll wait

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I thought about pre-ordering the special 3d audio headphones but I'll wait for some reviews, theres no way they'll run out of them.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
This preorder system was so disjointed. They went from preorder announcement to “surprise! It’s sold out everywhere!” almost immediately. I did eventually get one from bestbuy, but it was a total mess. I still haven’t gotten anything from Sony letting me know I can preorder.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Thanks. The PS4 catalogue is the dealbreaker for me, so I guess I'll wait

fwiw I would be 100% surprised if the PS5's digital store front didn't have the working 99% of the PS4's catalogue, but they just haven't said anything other than "99% of the games we've tested work." Probably safe to assume that since they're giving away all those PS4 games digitally with PS+ that the rest of the catalogue would be available for purchase digitally as well. Means the infrastructure is already there.

They're out there talking about how they "believe in generations" but they fell into a massive user base this gen that bought a lot of games digitally and they'd be stupid to want to start fresh with that stuff.

My expectation at least is that if I get a PS5 I won't have to turn on a PS4 other than if I want to make one of my neighbors play PT for Halloween or something.

Last edited:

Theeze0504

Aug 18, 2005
I managed to snag the DE last night at Wal-mart, for those who got an email about the shipment being delayed because of a backorder was a mistake.

Their twitter mentioned it and confirmed it was an error, so those who pre-ordered will be fine.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
I managed to snag the DE last night at Wal-mart, for those who got an email about the shipment being delayed because of a backorder was a mistake.

Their twitter mentioned it and confirmed it was an error, so those who pre-ordered will be fine.
This happens with their pre-orders for games too. It's a weird thing in their system.

Theeze0504

Aug 18, 2005
Yea I honestly see no reason to buy a Ps5 at launch, demon souls being on pc. Even then buying a console for a remake is a bit much.

Although I would not get a console solely for a remake, the same can't be said for a majority of people. If you think the FF7 remake didn't sell consoles, you're kidding yourself. Now you could say, that the FF7 remake is a completely different style of gameplay, but even if it was the same game with next gen graphics, the game would have sold consoles, It's amazing what nostalgia can do to a person.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Anyone receive an email from Sony directly about a pre-order? Like from when you signed up with your PSN ID a couple weeks ago?

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Everybody running out to buy a console that most new tvs don't even support. Buy a new console to run what your current can already do. Playstation already said it wouldn't be worth it until another year. By then they will fix issues and price might go down.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Anyone receive an email from Sony directly about a pre-order? Like from when you signed up with your PSN ID a couple weeks ago?
Nope. But I did see people posting screen shots of the emails late last night (at 2-3 am). Even that sounds like a mess. It was first come first serve on the emails, so even though you got one if you didn’t act quick you’d still miss out. I figured they wouldn’t draw more names than available PS5 units, but I guess not.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
fwiw I would be 100% surprised if the PS5's digital store front didn't have the working 99% of the PS4's catalogue, but they just haven't said anything other than "99% of the games we've tested work." Probably safe to assume that since they're giving away all those PS4 games digitally with PS+ that the rest of the catalogue would be available for purchase digitally as well. Means the infrastructure is already there.

They're out there talking about how they "believe in generations" but they fell into a massive user base this gen that bought a lot of games digitally and they'd be stupid to want to start fresh with that stuff.

My expectation at least is that if I get a PS5 I won't have to turn on a PS4 other than if I want to make one of my neighbors play PT for Halloween or something.
We’re two months out and they haven’t confirmed anything. I’d be pretty surprised if its ready to go right away.

The fact is they backtracked and they hid it in a press release. I get why they are doing it, because its all business and it makes sense, but people shit all over Xbox for not making their games “next-gen only” and now Sony has the same strategy after all.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The price gap between the two consoles is ridiculous. $629 CAD for the exact same console plus a disk drive? That better be the best damn disk drive ever made! :laugh:

I didn’t think it seemed all that bad. I kinda wanted a 4K player anyway. I’m sure you could find one for $100 at this point, but it’d be one of the cheapest ones available.

Reactions: The Big Ruszkowski

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Nope. But I did see people posting screen shots of the emails late last night (at 2-3 am). Even that sounds like a mess. It was first come first serve on the emails, so even though you got one if you didn’t act quick you’d still miss out. I figured they wouldn’t draw more names than available PS5 units, but I guess not.
Ahhh damn. That was pretty much my last hope to get one at launch. Didn’t get an email.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Same thing happened here. Best Buy eventually let me go to the check int page but I couldn’t get to the payment info section and then Eventually it told me “sorry this item is out of stock”.

Same thing at GameStop. Gonna watch the amazon launch page.
I think this is it but I’m not sure. I followed a link from another site that said it was their pre order page.
PlayStation: Best Place to Play: PS5

If I can’t get a PS5 I’m going to try and order an Xbox series x. Hopefully that won’t be such a cluster ****.
This was the same message I kept getting from BB but I kept spamming. eventually I was able to pre order it.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad