Sony PS4 #11: "Oh crap" - Nathan Drake

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Well after my talk of the FF7 demo being easy to find, I did indeed have to search on a website to be able to download the RE3 demo.
I didnt even know the RE3 demo was out, I only happened to see it because I had to do the same thing for the trials of Mana demo and spotted it.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
If anyone one here knows how to use linux (Ubuntu) and has an older version PS4 with only 2.4 GHz wifi speeds I've found a way you can use your 5 GHz wifi connection from your laptop and transfer that signal over to your PS4 via Ethernet cable. Much faster speeds less lag for sure during gameplay. If anyone needs any help let me know.

This method only works on linux. Windows 7 has a feature like this as well. Unfortunately Windows 10 sucks at doing this.

Share WiFi via Ethernet on Ubuntu 17.10 – cesariogarcia.com

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
A lot of these JRPGs (I think theyre the same engine) primarily falcom games like tales of zestiria, trails of cold steel 3, and ys 8, have major, major shimmering problems.

The art style is alright but the low resolution and bad anti aliasing kills the visuals. Wish they'd do something there.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
The update system is a sick joke.

I already only have 4 games on my PS4 because three of them are over 100GB. Now I can't update COD because the download system thinks I need the space for the full game, even though it's just an update.

Wtf am I supposed to do?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008

I already only have 4 games on my PS4 because three of them are over 100GB. Now I can't update COD because the download system thinks I need the space for the full game, even though it's just an update.

Wtf am I supposed to do?
Yeah unfortunately, that's just how a lot of updates are, you always need to keep 200 GB on your hard drive because a lot of updates require you to reinstall the game.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Playing Horizon Zero Dawn and just found out that me hunting for the power-cells is completely and utterly pointless since you legitimately cannot get the final one until the second to last mission of the game. Waste of a game, the game's storyline is quite good, but the gameplay is so effing inconsistent. Invisible walls galore, inconsistent jumping, and every machine has an insane range of attack. Going to be frustrated in finishing it.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

Wtf am I supposed to do?
Playstation's storage management is abysmal, like two decades behind the times. They can't download something to external storage directly without writing it to the local drive first, then copying it over. And if you flip the power off without telling the PS4 to turn off first, your hard drive can get corrupted.

This might be the biggest reason I'm leaning towards getting an Xbox next generation.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Playing Horizon Zero Dawn and just found out that me hunting for the power-cells is completely and utterly pointless since you legitimately cannot get the final one until the second to last mission of the game. Waste of a game, the game's storyline is quite good, but the gameplay is so effing inconsistent. Invisible walls galore, inconsistent jumping, and every machine has an insane range of attack. Going to be frustrated in finishing it.
Yeah, I don't really consider it a good game. I like the combat (though a lot of enemies are super bullet spongy even on normal difficulty), but everything else is just done poorly. It's just apeing games like Witcher 3, and Skyrim and Mass Effect, but it's all done so badly. Can't blame them I guess, since they've literally only done on Killzone, but still.

And yeah, traversing the world is terrible, you cant climb anything not marked with a bright yellow rope and getting a permanent horse takes like half the game if not more. In the era of breath of the wild, AC origins, and spiderman, the traversal was just archaic.

Oh yeah, awful load times..

I didn't do any sidequests and just finished the story, I think if I tried to platinum it it would have left a much worse taste in my mouth. I think since I only spent 15 or so hours with it I liked it a lot more

Reactions: S E P H

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Playstation's storage management is abysmal, like two decades behind the times. They can't download something to external storage directly without writing it to the local drive first, then copying it over. And if you flip the power off without telling the PS4 to turn off first, your hard drive can get corrupted.

This might be the biggest reason I'm leaning towards getting an Xbox next generation.

The PS5's storage management sounds like one of their main advantages over the Xbox next gen.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
The PS5's storage management sounds like one of their main advantages over the Xbox next gen.
The system where you're given 20% less storage and no way to add additional storage that you can use to run games off of?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The system where you're given 20% less storage and no way to add additional storage that you can use to run games off of?
You can add additional, non proprietary storage, Sony actually is doing it better imo. I haven't heard about the expanded storage not being able to have games though, maybe something new came out.

Regardless, the ps5 does look to have inferior hardware (outside of the faster SSD), will need to see the prices first.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
You can add additional, non proprietary storage, Sony actually is doing it better imo. I haven't heard about the expanded storage not being able to have games though, maybe something new came out.

Regardless, the ps5 does look to have inferior hardware (outside of the faster SSD), will need to see the prices first.
You can add external hard drives or SSDs, but even those SSDs won't be as fast as it would be over USB vs. NVMe. Therefore, it seems doubtful you could play PS5 games directly off of it.

Proprietary storage is dumb and will be expensive, but at least they have a solution. The PS4 took 3 or 4 years to even add external storage support. I read that PS5 will eventually support putting new drives in the system itself, but that is an awfully expensive solution for replacement storage, not additive. Plus the drives that they will certify aren't even available to consumers at the moment.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
You can add external hard drives or SSDs, but even those SSDs won't be as fast as it would be over USB vs. NVMe. Therefore, it seems doubtful you could play PS5 games directly off of it.

Proprietary storage is dumb and will be expensive, but at least they have a solution. The PS4 took 3 or 4 years to even add external storage support. I read that PS5 will eventually support putting new drives in the system itself, but that is an awfully expensive solution for replacement storage, not additive. Plus the drives that they will certify aren't even available to consumers at the moment.
I may have misunderstood, but I think Cerny said there will be a second M.2 slot on the inside, so if it supports PCIe gen 4 (max of 7 GB/s), then it will be able to support the max speeds so long as the SSD you bought can max it out.

I could be wrong you may have to replace the built in SSD but I doubt it. Still like a year to go so we'll see.

And yeah I agree PS4 handled expanded storage poorly, they were overly paranoid about getting the console hacked.

Expect a 1 TB SSD that can hit the speeds Sony wants to be to be $100- $120 by the time the ps5 releases, now imagine its a completely proprietary formfactor that only Sony and Microsoft make, price will be way higher. Imo Sony has the right idea.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011

Posted this in the Last of Us II thread, but just in case some people don't catch it or for those interested in the new Iron Man VR game

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I may have misunderstood, but I think Cerny said there will be a second M.2 slot on the inside, so if it supports PCIe gen 4 (max of 7 GB/s), then it will be able to support the max speeds so long as the SSD you bought can max it out.

I could be wrong you may have to replace the built in SSD but I doubt it. Still like a year to go so we'll see.

And yeah I agree PS4 handled expanded storage poorly, they were overly paranoid about getting the console hacked.

Expect a 1 TB SSD that can hit the speeds Sony wants to be to be $100- $120 by the time the ps5 releases, now imagine its a completely proprietary formfactor that only Sony and Microsoft make, price will be way higher. Imo Sony has the right idea.
You may be right on the second slot. I read two articles that said two different things.

I just have a hard time trusting Sony on storage when their management software was so poor on the PS4. Like there's no reason it should take an hour to apply a 500 MB update to a game on external storage

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Will the next gen consoles cost a lot more than the initial price of the console?

With all the updated technology being implemented like 3d audio, hdmi 2.1, 4k monitors ect...

Are console going to be more expensive than pc's if you want to take advantage of the newest technology the consoles will offer?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Will the next gen consoles cost a lot more than the initial price of the console?

With all the updated technology being implemented like 3d audio, hdmi 2.1, 4k monitors ect...

Are console going to be more expensive than pc's if you want to take advantage of the newest technology the consoles will offer?
The only thing HDMI 2.1 does is allow for (uncompressed) 8k60fps or 4k120fps, which pretty much nothing will ever do. The regular HDMI 2.0 ports will work fine.

3D audio doesn't require any extra hardware, the PS4 can do it. Uncharted 4 does it. Edit: I should correct myself, obviously it requires headphones or a home theatre system. It can supposedly work with tv speakers but I really doubt that won't sound like crap.

The only reason to buy a new tv is for freesync or 120 fps, which is yet to be seen if new games will even be optimized for (though gears 5 is said to have a 120 fps modeon series X so there may be a decent number.)

Last edited:

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
The only thing HDMI 2.1 does is allow for (uncompressed) 8k60fps or 4k120fps, which pretty much nothing will ever do. The regular HDMI 2.0 ports will work fine.

3D audio doesn't require any extra hardware, the PS4 can do it. Uncharted 4 does it. Edit: I should correct myself, obviously it requires headphones or a home theatre system. It can supposedly work with tv speakers but I really doubt that won't sound like crap.

The only reason to buy a new tv is for freesync or 120 fps, which is yet to be seen if new games will even be optimized for (though gears 5 is said to have a 120 fps modeon series X so there may be a decent number.)
This is refreshing to hear

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I think there are some rumours out there that the Xbox X will be around 500 to 600 USD, but hilarious that is for the 1 TB version so more space will be more.

That's how much the original Xbox was going to cost until Microsoft offset the cost to get their product out there.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I think there are some rumors out there that the Xbox X will be around 500 to 600 USD, but hilarious that is for the 1 TB version so more space will be more.

That's how much the original Xbox was going to cost until Microsoft offset the cost to get their product out there.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
The Yakuza Remastered collection is currently going for $40 in a few places. Seems like a strong deal for 3 games, but prior experience tells me that it might be better to wait for a bigger sale. The only caveat is that maybe the three collected games will hold their value for longer as a bundle, since usually the Yakuza games rotate on fairly steep sales as individual games.

Anyone have any speculation, or want to sing the praises of the collection? I don't care too much about collector stuff, but this seems like as solid of a deal as we might see for a while for all three games.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
If something I want is in a sale I usually get antsy if I don't buy it. I've only played 4, but 40$ is probably decent value for three Yakuza games given the amount of content in them. If it would bother you if you bought them now for 40 and didn't play them for a few months until you found them on sale for 20, don't. If that's not a problem, no sense in waiting.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
49747503557_fa12f113db_h.jpg

https://blog.us.playstation.com/202...w-wireless-game-controller-for-playstation-5/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad