Sony PS4 #11: "Oh crap" - Nathan Drake

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
i think Sony is reporting "playable" space while Microsoft is just reporting the total 1TB and not counting the OS.

Which makes more sense.

I think the overall package though for the PS5 is quite nice, and the extreme speeds of the SSD are damn awesome. Plus, the fact that you can replace these with other NVMe drives rather than a proprietary expansion card is super nice.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Which makes more sense.

I think the overall package though for the PS5 is quite nice, and the extreme speeds of the SSD are damn awesome. Plus, the fact that you can replace these with other NVMe drives rather than a proprietary expansion card is super nice.

PS5 SSD storage, from hard drive size and speed to expanded and external storage options, explained

To quote Digital Foundry's Rich Leadbetter: "In the short term at least, the advice is simple: don't buy an NVMe drive without Sony validation if you plan to use it in PlayStation 5. Also remember that extreme bandwidth PCIe 4.0 NVMe drives are likely to be very expensive - in the short term, at least.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
So there will be no proprietary storage from Sony, but you need to wait for the list of approved drives. That's a much better way to do it.

As for the 825 GB size, mark Cerny didn't talk about playable Space, just the size of the drive.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
So there will be no proprietary storage from Sony, but you need to wait for the list of approved drives. That's a much better way to do it.

As for the 825 GB size, mark Cerny didn't talk about playable Space, just the size of the drive.
I just assumed it was playable space. I've never heard of an 825 gb size drive. It just seems like a very weird number

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I just assumed it was playable space. I've never heard of an 825 gb size drive. It just seems like a very weird number
It's to maximize the speeds while minimizing cost, flash memory is on a number of chips that the memory controller accesses at once, so it's basically the maximum number of flash chips on the minimum amount of memory.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
ya, i have no idea what you just said lol

https://www.notebookcheck.net/fileadmin/Notebooks/News/_nc3/1_kf_rdimm_pc_01.jpg

Basically as I understand it those 16 chips on this (256 gb) stick of memory are the memory, and the middle chip is the controller, the more spread out the memory is the faster the flash storage can be. So according to the Cerny the sweet spot for number of chips and minimum storage for cost.

The actual chips can be different storage values ,theyre 16 GB on this image but they can be 1 or 0.5 GB. This is RAM but the same principle to sort of applies to ssds

Reactions: Hammettf2b

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
GameStop will be releasing DOOM Eternal tomorrow for those interested in picking it up a day early.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Just to give an idea of how fast the ps5 SSD spec is going for

At 3.5 GB/s read and 2.7 GB/s write the Samsung 970 Pro SSD at $350 US is not even close to meeting the requirements of the ps5. As far as I know, there's no consumer SSD out that's even close to meeting the requirements of 5.5 GB/s sustained speeds.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
At 3.5 GB/s read and 2.7 GB/s write the Samsung 970 Pro SSD at $350 US is not even close to meeting the requirements of the ps5. As far as I know, there's no consumer SSD out that's even close to meeting the requirements of 5.5 GB/s sustained speeds.

Yes, I believe 3.5GB/s is pushing the maximum for PCIe 3.

PCIe 4 SSDs currently bat around the 5GB/s range at somewhat more reasonable (although still expensive) prices.

For example:
Cerny said he believes the tech industry will have SSDs that push 7.0Gb/s in the near future, so there should be options for additional storage. It still won't be cheap to upgrade, however. Unfortunately, the days of slapping a $50 HDD into your PlayStation are over, but I think the gains in load times,etc. will be more than worth it.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
vtgvdk73din41.jpg

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Forget the dick measuring competition, show me the games.

Also maybe I misheard but it seems only backwards compatible with PS4 games, and digitally at that?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Yes, I believe 3.5GB/s is pushing the maximum for PCIe 3.

PCIe 4 SSDs currently bat around the 5GB/s range at somewhat more reasonable (although still expensive) prices.

For example:
Cerny said he believes the tech industry will have SSDs that push 7.0Gb/s in the near future, so there should be options for additional storage. It still won't be cheap to upgrade, however. Unfortunately, the days of slapping a $50 HDD into your PlayStation are over, but I think the gains in load times,etc. will be more than worth it.
Ah that makes a lot more sense, so there should be a lot more SSDs that meet the requirements this time next year.
To be fair, this is all software, the Sony presentation was mostly hardware and explaining why this console is not just a PC in a box. "Just" 16 GB of RAM and an under locked ryzen 3700 is pretty underwhelming if they don't explain some added benefits.

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Ah that makes a lot more sense, so there should be a lot more SSDs that meet the requirements this time next year.

I would expect so.

Also, to be fair with your earlier example, the "PRO" version of current Samsung SSDs are much more expensive than their "EVO" counterparts. The PROs tend to be more robust with a heftier warranty, typically for business applications. I expect the EVOs are closer to what most people would be buying for gaming purposes (or at least I did, currently running my 960 EVO :laugh:) - currently around $200 USD for 1TB.

Still a hefty price tag, mind. We will have to see how this compares to Xbox's memory card-style solution.

To be fair, this is all software, the Sony presentation was mostly hardware and explaining why this console is not just a PC in a box. "Just" 16 GB of RAM and an under locked ryzen 3700 is pretty underwhelming if they don't explain some added benefits.

A good point to bring up.

FLOPS are more of a computer science/productivity metric for measuring hardware...more helpful for specific use cases.

Since we don't have a great universal metric for measuring hardware capabilities, I guess that's what we get.

I understand the developer's point, though - in gaming, it's more about toolkits, optimization, etc. than raw compute power.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
i think Sony is reporting "playable" space while Microsoft is just reporting the total 1TB and not counting the OS.

Turns out Cerny confirmed the size to be that 825 GB:

“To reach our bandwidth target of 5 gigabytes a second, we ended up with a 12 channel interface,” he explained. “Eight channels wouldn’t be enough. The resulting bandwidth we have achieved is actually five and a half gigabytes a second,” he added. And then came the unexpected part. “With 12 channel interface, the most natural size that emerges for an SSD is 825GB,”

Reactions: Hammettf2b

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Well after my talk of the FF7 demo being easy to find, I did indeed have to search on a website to be able to download the RE3 demo.

Reactions: aleshemsky83

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad