Something is rotten in Nashville

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Why was Kyle Turris a healthy scratch last night?

Because he's bad at hockey.
He's not bad at hockey. He's just sort of a square peg right now that the coach can't figure out what to do with. Johansen and Duchene are better than him at being top-6 centers. Bonino and Sissons are better than him at being bottom-6 centers. And they can't seem to commit to using him on the wing. But he looks fine, and I don't doubt he'd be good for 50-60 points if he was just rolled out consistently in a scoring role. A lot better than last year where he was really off his game due to injuries.

It may be an example of where a coaching change would help the team. Laviolette might just be too constrained by his familiarity to be able to see all the options he has.

Turris should be playing somewhere. But Nashville has those same other 4 centers signed for next year too, and Johansen, Duchene, and Sissons for a long time after that. If they can't find a way to use Turris, they should trade him. But after last year and now bouncing him around the lineup and scratching him that isn't going to be easy either.

Reactions: Royale With Cheese

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I wonder when people will really understand how bad a player he really is for team success. Selfish, entitled and not too smart. I wouldn’t want him in my team in the NHL. Has definitely some cool skills, but is unfortunately a bad team player and has messed up often the play of his linemates and teammates, while getting nice point totals for himself.
I'd say he's more of a locker room issue than on ice. I mean he can be a nice guy doing good things to the community and stuff, but he also gives up on his team and has bad attitude. It's no coincidence MacKinnon's game took off right after Duchene left

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
Someone just left the doors open too long at an establishment in Printers Alley. Don't worry; as long as those doors are closed and the right antibiotics/ointments taken, the rottenness will fade.

Black Kevin

I don't work my ass off
Nov 19, 2019
Raleigh
Uh... That Tavares thing is a bit of a freebie out of left field? Leaf fan who couldn't help himself adding his personal touch? You might be on the wrong thread...

Not at all, man! Tavares is as good as they come. Some guy in this thread said that both Duchene AND Tavares are cancerous... can't agree at all! I've met JT and the way I see it, he absolutely IS captain material. Just a great guy!

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Yikes this thread has some real reaches. Duchene a cancer? :laugh: He's been one of our best players.

Fabbro has been fine as Subban's replacement, he's not the problem and neither has Duchene.
Every team has slumps like this. We'll still make the playoffs, we still have games in hand on teams in the division.

I will say this though, I think Laviolette's shelf life has expired. I think we should have moved on from him this offseason when we had a historically bad power play.

Nobody is saying he sucks but that he may be cursed.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Granlund is a bad fit
Turris is a bad fit
Arvidsson is underperforming
Their goalies both have save percentages that start with 0.8

They need a retool IMO. They won some trades on paper that made their team worse.

Also... Duchene has probably been their best forward so GTFO with your stupid 'cancer' posts.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
I feel like Nashville is the Minnesota like two years ago. Always been solid team and makes to the playoffs but never will win anything. Just something missing. Minnesota never had elite players just very great players and the same is going on in Nashville. They have many 50-60 points forwards and great defense and still good goaltending (not long time anymore). I think Nashville is not going better anymore they should fix something now if they wanna win (and I really hope they will win the cup). Maybe they need that one elite leader they don't have in forwards. Taylor Hall?

It's still a team sport and they could still win the cup and do the same as St Louis did last season. Also Islanders are doing great without any big names (still they have elite number one center). I just donate feel Duchene is winner and Granlund is doing awful too. They need to turn it around pretty soon.
Nashville was in the finals only two years a go and 2 wins away from being champion, the Wild were never that close.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I feel like Nashville is the Minnesota like two years ago. Always been solid team and makes to the playoffs but never will win anything. Just something missing. Minnesota never had elite players just very great players and the same is going on in Nashville. They have many 50-60 points forwards and great defense and still good goaltending (not long time anymore). I think Nashville is not going better anymore they should fix something now if they wanna win (and I really hope they will win the cup). Maybe they need that one elite leader they don't have in forwards. Taylor Hall?

It's still a team sport and they could still win the cup and do the same as St Louis did last season. Also Islanders are doing great without any big names (still they have elite number one center). I just donate feel Duchene is winner and Granlund is doing awful too. They need to turn it around pretty soon.
Suter wasn't elite? Parise? What on Earth?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Granlund is a bad fit
Turris is a bad fit
Arvidsson is underperforming
Their goalies both have save percentages that start with 0.8

They need a retool IMO. They won some trades on paper that made their team worse.

Also... Duchene has probably been their best forward so GTFO with your stupid 'cancer' posts.
I think when you get to the point that several of the top paid players on the team aren't performing up to expectations - but aren't particularly old - it's too much to consider a re-tool. We sort of did that already anyway by picking up some of those guys either last year (Granlund) or in the offseason (Duchene).

No, it's getting to the point that the next tweak is a coaching change, not another player retool. Laviolette is a good coach and has had a good run here. But the team may need a new voice. It's inevitable with coaches. He sure won't have any trouble getting another job. I'd say the Preds need at least another 6-8 weeks first though, just in case this is the one and only 10-game slump they have all year. And then if it isn't, there's still going to be the question of who's available to take over the reins. I don't think anything is imminent. Poile will be AT LEAST that patient... he may even be more patient still and make his moves after the season is over.

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
50-70 pts players are considered "mediocre" on here?

What does it take to be considered just a "good" player? 125 points?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Maybe its the dead dog in the alley! Probably should clean that up!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad