Weekes: Something happening with Merzlikins?

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Who in their right mind would trust Pickard with the backup role for an extended period of time?
The Oilers. He's doing a decent job. With Skinner playing the bulk of the games all you really need is someone to hold the fort, save more than 90% (Pickard's save % is right at .902) of the shots, and not screwup too big.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
The Oilers. He's doing a decent job. With Skinner playing the bulk of the games all you really need is someone to hold the fort, save more than 90% (Pickard's save % is right at .902) of the shots, and not screwup too big.

That’s great. No one in their right mind expects him to continue to play that way, and the Oilers can’t afford that risk.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
That’s great. No one in their right mind expects him to continue to play that way, and the Oilers can’t afford that risk.
The Oilers are on a 9-game winning streak and he's a part of it. I don't know what's so crazy about giving him a chance to join the rest of the team on the wave.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I had to stop reading here because I couldn't see the screen I was laughing so hard.

Jarmo Kekalainen is many things, but a PR manipulator is so incredibly far from one of them that it boggles the mind to even consider taking that seriously.

See his PR is so effective CBJ fans can’t even see it. A wizard at work! :p

Seriously though, he did quite a bit of PR when Johnny arrived to try to snag more free agents. And most GMs would paint their negative situations in the most positive light in general, I think he’s doing just that.

• Haha
Reactions: MakoSlade

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Weekes is working NHL Network tonight and just spoke on this situation:

it seems nothing is imminent. According to Weekes, and Im paraphrasing, he spoke to more than a few teams who are kicking the tires on Merzlikins and thinks he can do better than he has this year

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The difference between Campbell and Elvis is not a 1st. Both have a lot of issues. Both have negative value. One really sucks and one is a headcase right now. Both are overpaid.
I really disagree. Elvis's value is down but he's treading water. Campbell's value is all negative. You are trading for a drag on the cap and a drag on finances. Merzlikins probably has positive value

As an Oiler fan myself, I'm actually down with giving Campbell another chance here just for asset reasoms. The team today is a lot different than it was when Campbell was sent down. If it's an awful idea it's not like the team will be nuked by trying

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
The Oilers are on a 9-game winning streak and he's a part of it. I don't know what's so crazy about giving him a chance to join the rest of the team on the wave.

Because he’s been trash his whole career? He’s going to come crashing back to Earth. This is like the best he has played in a decade, and it’s just mediocre. Edmonton can’t risk it.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Because he’s been trash his whole career? He’s going to come crashing back to Earth. This is like the best he has played in a decade, and it’s just mediocre. Edmonton can’t risk it.
He's a goalie who's in the right place at the right time. He's currently helping an NHL team drive itself out of the basement and into playoff contention. Trash goalies don't help make that happen.

I have no idea why you hate the guy the way you do - I think it's a cool story. It's good to see a guy living the dream - if only for a brief moment.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If he’s not a backup, maybe he should play better

Elvis has been very good this year. He looks like a different goalie from last year.

Better save percentage right now than Saros, Vasilevskiy, Shesterkin, etc...

Better than league average save percentage, which is only .903 this year.

Jarmo’s PR machine fully at work. Yeh the issue here is he’s squeezed out of a starter role by an .887 Martin and an .883 Tarasov. Not the fact that he’s overpaid and underperforming. Took Jarmo a couple months but he’s invented a new narrative for this trade out of thin air.

Well Jarmo seems to be currently doing the "I'm incompetent, take advantage of me" move, which maybe brilliant 4-D chess, but I have my doubts.

Seriously, he's benching his best goalie, who is playing well, and then saying he'd have the #1 job if he was good enough. Really talking up the player for a trade. He actually is saying that Elvis is underperforming, and Elvis isn't. So it's quite the opposite of what you're saying and not really sensible if you're trying to trade the guy.

Reactions: Aaaarrgghh

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Elvis has been very good this year. He looks like a different goalie from last year.

Well Jarmo seems to be currently doing the "I'm incompetent, take advantage of me" move, which maybe brilliant 4-D chess, but I have my doubts.

Seriously, he's benching his best goalie, who is playing well, and then saying he'd have the #1 job if he was good enough. Really talking up the player for a trade. He actually is saying that Elvis is underperforming, and Elvis isn't. So it's quite the opposite of what you're saying and not really sensible if you're trying to trade the guy.
That what kill me about this. He has looked competent this year behind a yet again terrible defense and Jarmo is out here throwing him under the bus.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
At least 3 x 1sts for every year remaining in Campbell's contract. Plus something for taking on another 1/2 year of Campbell this season.

Then its Merz for ??? Can't imagine Merz has much value due to his caphit.

I think Merzlikins has been playing at a level with his contract this year, and his value should be slightly negative given how bad last year was and how untrustworthy his mental state has been (slightly unfair given what happened with Matiss but it will be a factor).

But listening to Jarmo, he really seems to not like his own goalie. I think he'd do a deal where Elvis is implicitly valued much lower than his deal. Perhaps a retained deal. Or if it's for Campbell, who is a pure salary dump in the AHL / buyout, I think he might lower the ask to take on Campbell's deal.

I think moving Campbell's deal would cost more like 2 1sts and a 2nd, not quite as much as you're saying, given that the cap is going up. And Jarmo might take a 1st and a 2nd to swap Campbell and Merzlikins, given how much Jarmo can't wait to move Elvis.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Weekes is working NHL Network tonight and just spoke on this situation:

it seems nothing is imminent. According to Weekes, and Im paraphrasing, he spoke to more than a few teams who are kicking the tires on Merzlikins and thinks he can do better than he has this year
Yeah none of these goalies are getting moved till the deadline, where the buyers and sellers will stare at each other until one GM blinks and then the trade market clears.

Reactions: CBJx614

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

So why exactly is he benched? Could he be protecting his slightly above average league save percentage before it craters to last years numbers? Maybe Jarmo doesn’t want to be left with a goalie he can’t move again.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
So why exactly is he benched?

I don't know. No one on HF Columbus knows. Some speculation that there is some hostility between the FO and the player.

Could he be protecting his slightly above average league save percentage

I considered that thought but then why would Jarmo drag Elvis' performance? It takes some mental gymnastics to come up with something other than Jarmo bumbling around.

Maybe the idea is that he'll say stuff that is so at variance with what goalie scouts will say about Elvis, so other clubs will think there is a deal to be had.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
For those thinking Calgary, don’t think it makes much sense for Calgary to swap Markstrom for Elvis. They’d only be moving Markstrom, to get out from under his contract next year, and the year after.

They’re not gonna make a move like Elvis, just to save $600k and add extra term, they already don’t want.

Elvis would however, fit the Ducks situation IF Anaheim were to move Gibson. If Gibson went to New Jersey or Detroit for example, could see Anaheim taking Elvis. Would Gibson be ok going to Columbus? Are they on his NTC? Doesn’t seem like it would be his preferred destination, but stranger things have happened. Obviously Columbus would be adding a significant piece with Elvis, to land Gibson.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I don't know. No one on HF Columbus knows. Some speculation that there is some hostility between the FO and the player.

I considered that thought but then why would Jarmo drag Elvis' performance? It takes some mental gymnastics to come up with something other than Jarmo bumbling around.

Maybe the idea is that he'll say stuff that is so at variance with what goalie scouts will say about Elvis, so other clubs will think there is a deal to be had.

Sitting a number 1 goalie for 20 days when he says he’s healthy, playing good, confident, and ready to go seems suspicious to me.

Which is why I think Jarmo might be trying to protect his save percentage numbers for the purposes of a trade. Elvis says it’s an “organizational decision”. Listening to Pascal talk about it, he says it’s to evaluate Tarasov who honestly has never had the numbers to deserve this shot at number 1 and he’s also signed into next year, so an evaluation on him isn’t even imminent.

And also coaches don’t usually do stuff like this, to evaluate Rosters on the level of a GM, his job is to just ice the best team possible and win games. I’ve never seen a coach play #3 goalie at the expense of a #1 to evaluate future fit.

Something fishy is going on.

I’ve heard Elvis talk and Pascal, but haven’t heard Jarmos exact words on the situation. Did he do a presser? Any chance you have a link?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yeah none of these goalies are getting moved till the deadline, where the buyers and sellers will stare at each other until one GM blinks and then the trade market clears.
I’m not quite sure about this. There are seasons on the line of a goaltender trade isn’t made sooner than later for some teams.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Broberg+Campbell for Elvis+Boqvist incoming

Also, Campbell is more than happy to be the backup in Columbus
Throw in Connor Brown and in one sweet deal you manage to dump all of the Oilers unwanted crap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad