Post-Game Talk: something bad happened we suk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
All I know is the team was playing like ****, and the Pred's announcers apologized for any profanity you may here was clearly you could hear Wheels throwing a litany of F-bombs at the boys.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Well no, I for one am not calling for Chevy's head. However, while we might not blame him for not signing Ladd to a big contract, we could perhaps call him out for not moving him or Buff already when it's been pretty obvious for some time that we aren't keeping both of them. I'm hoping there's some sort of a plan here and that Chevy has something up his sleeve in regards to the buff/ladd situation because it should be possible to do something there that would benefit us in a long-term way...you'd hope at least.

This is pretty close to where I have landed as well. If Chevy needed some time to access, that time needs to end IMO. Time to make some decisions and move on.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Our defensive game has gone to absolute *****, so many broken coverages, our own stupidity on blocking shots. It's just a compound cluster of you know what -- time to get back to being responsible and accountable.

Way too many times our D are pinching to jump up and getting burnt so bad. How many odd-man rushes have we given in the last handful of games that have ended up in the back of our net? That will say it right there.

Play a goalie and keep to them for a 4-game stretch atleast. No goalie has any continuity going for them right now.

I think Maurice would like to as soon as one starts stopping the puck.

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
Woah Winnipeg! Don't release the kraken yet. The Jets are still a good team in spite of this one game. No negativity must be allowed to get a foothold here. There are great games ahead of us. I demand everybody watch this video and chill:

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
We have the second worst goals against in the entire league. There is the problem. Paying a strong defensive structure is what we need to get back to.

But that might not be so easy, I remember last year when Perrault said when we were 2 and 5 that when the team gave up a goal it was like the whole world ended...I think the Jets mental state may have regressed to that point again..

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Other teams have clued in to the fact the Jets have huge issues handling the forecheck, and getting the puck out of the defensive zone with speed while under pressure. Maurice and Huddy need to nip this in the bud right away, as there's not a lot of leeway to make up for a long losing streak in the Central.

Maurice is a pretty smart guy, and this is a coachable issue, so I'm not too concerned that they'll get it straightened out. Now, the team's lack of discipline, that's another story ...

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Yes it was extremely plain to see last night that the book on the Jets is (once again since it has been this in the past as well) that you fore check them hard and they will turn over the puck. It happened over and over again last night. It was hard to watch...even the simplest thing like just picking up a puck gliding along the boards seemed to elude us.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Well no, I for one am not calling for Chevy's head. However, while we might not blame him for not signing Ladd to a big contract, we could perhaps call him out for not moving him or Buff already when it's been pretty obvious for some time that we aren't keeping both of them. I'm hoping there's some sort of a plan here and that Chevy has something up his sleeve in regards to the buff/ladd situation because it should be possible to do something there that would benefit us in a long-term way...you'd hope at least.

It's not obvious to everyone that we can't keep both and which one to keep preferentially is even less obvious.
Look at the poll results: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1947055&page=25

95% of respondents guessed we would keep Ladd...and yet, he was likely asking for close to Kessler money and term. Why wouldn't he? How much is he worth now?
<2% thought we would keep Buff and lose Ladd. That would now, sadly, be my preference, IF we can't sign Ladd to a very cap-friendly contract.
Sometimes the best strategy is to wait for the right opportunity and gather more information. It's the least favoured strategy for fans, but a lot more popular in the non-fantasy world.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
It's not obvious to everyone that we can't keep both and which one to keep preferentially is even less obvious.
Look at the poll results: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1947055&page=25

95% of respondents guessed we would keep Ladd...and yet, he was likely asking for close to Kessler money and term. Why wouldn't he? How much is he worth now?
<2% thought we would keep Buff and lose Ladd. That would now, sadly, be my preference, IF we can't sign Ladd to a very cap-friendly contract.
Sometimes the best strategy is to wait for the right opportunity and gather more information. It's the least favoured strategy for fans, but a lot more popular in the non-fantasy world.

That's great, but it's not the job of a bunch of people answering a poll on a hockey forum to determine what needs to be done. It's Chevy's job. Nobody is saying it's easy but he has to make some tough decisions. You can't wait for the right opportunity forever because what you consider the right opportunity might never materialize...

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
All I know is the team was playing like ****, and the Pred's announcers apologized for any profanity you may here was clearly you could here Wheels throwing a litany of F-bombs at the boys.

Good on Wheeler. Time for this team to give the captaincy to the "real" captain and leader of this team.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
That's great, but it's not the job of a bunch of people answering a poll on a hockey forum to determine what needs to be done. It's Chevy's job. Nobody is saying it's easy but he has to make some tough decisions. You can't wait for the right opportunity forever because what you consider the right opportunity might never materialize...
For sure...all I am saying is that if we are judging Chevy harshly for not yet making a decision, and if the consensus was that he could only keep one, the the vast majority of experts and fans would have have likely opted to sign the captain to a contract befitting his top-10 LW numbers of the past few seasons. That looks like it would have been a mistake from this juncture.
In retrospect, the only option that would not have incurred the wrath of fans would have been to trade Ladd for young talent that had not yet declared itself in the NHL, e.g., Leon Draisaitl, plus futures. That would have been genius...but Chevy, like 90% of GMs, is not a genius.
What is your standard?

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
It's not possible to say anything would have been a mistake. If he'd kept Ladd and traded Buff for a couple players that really helped fill some holes, we might be looking pretty good right now. Again, he's got a lot more info regarding the situation than we do. It's up to him to make hard decisions (and not drawing the wrath of the fans really shouldn't be the deciding factor). If he doesn't do anything, we lose both Ladd and Buff for no return...

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
It would be very interesting if someone has done the numbers on pinching by the D.

While more often than not a pinch is successful at maintaining possession in the offensive zone (even if very briefly) there is also the downside which is obviously quite a few 2 on 1's, breakaways etc.

Pinching, when it works, may increase possession numbers, but the quality of chances generated is usually well below the quality of chance generated by an unsuccessful one.

It would be very interesting to see the Jets numbers on pinches this year and see the risk vs reward comparison.

From what I've seen, the young guys (Petan and Ehlers) have backed up the D very well. Some of the vets don't seem terribly interested in doing that.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Seems like a lot of defensemen are fighting confidence right now, Myers, Chiarot and Stuart are the most noticeable...

I don't think Stuart is smart or self-aware enough to lack confidence. He likely thinks he's an excellent defenceman and that more of the D should play like he does. He's probably proud of his contribution to the team, especially the way he can lay guys out as they're approaching the blue line. Now if only his teammates could lay out the other four enemy skaters like he does...

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
The season is quickly slipping away and something needs to be done to right the ship.

The whole team is playing awful, but maybe it's time to bring up Hellebuyck and sit one of Hutch or Pavs. Hammond's arrival sparked Ottawa last year, maybe it'll happen to the Jets.

Grasping at straws but I want to hope, dammit!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I don't think Stuart is smart or self-aware enough to lack confidence. He likely thinks he's an excellent defenceman and that more of the D should play like he does. He's probably proud of his contribution to the team, especially the way he can lay guys out as they're approaching the blue line. Now if only his teammates could lay out the other four enemy skaters like he does...

What really worries me is that Huddy and Maurice might actually share Stuart's perspective. :help:

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
At least last year, after a bad loss, everyone ganged up on Pavs. Now we're ready to throw most of the team, coach, GM and development staff over a cliff.

Can't expect us to gripe solely about Pavelec. That would be like eating Kwik-E-Mart hotdogs every day. Gotta break that up with Krusty Burgers.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
The season is quickly slipping away and something needs to be done to right the ship.

The whole team is playing awful, but maybe it's time to bring up Hellebuyck and sit one of Hutch or Pavs. Hammond's arrival sparked Ottawa last year, maybe it'll happen to the Jets.

Grasping at straws but I want to hope, dammit!

That or trade someone everyone loves. Send a message.

igorulanov

Jan 31, 2015
Winnipeg
That was exactly what got things going last year. Some of the vets were out and a hard working bunch of ahl guys brought some effort which resulted in wins. Compete level of some vets is very low, tme for guys to earn their jobs again.

That's a very good point. Things were going pretty bad until that happened.

Although if that's what it takes again to turn this around, what does that say about our core? Is there any correlation? maybe not. I'm not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad