Somehow wound up with the better guy...

TheSenator

The other guys
Apr 4, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I suspect he'll be 20 to 25 goals, mid 50s in points, going forward, for a few years. Maybe 60 points in a good year. He's 27, by the time his contract is up, he'll 36 or something? It's already a bit of a problem,just not a huge problem. If he hits 30 and slows a little, it could easily work it's way into the discussion of one of the worst contracts in the league.

I think it's really becoming very apparent his production was getting a boost from playing with Getzlaf and Perry.

He's on pace for 25g 60+ pts and he's been carrying a lackluster 2nd line on his back all season. If our top-6 was deep enough to slot him where he should be with Turris&Mac he'd be on pace for 30g and 70+ pts

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
:laugh:

Again, must be a Sens fan to see that. Because the rest of the world doesn't.

will he hit 20 goals you think? certainly not 25.....

$7M well spent.

Perhaps because Sens fans are best acquainted with his performance this year? Your focus on his goal total confirms that you are a stat-watching outsider, ill-equipped to provide an opinion on this matter. The team sucks and he is the best forward, who plays at both ends of the ice, and would have got the same contract on the open market.

Apparently you think that Sens fans are deluding themselves into believing that Bobby Ryan is performing well because?

1) They want to protect management's reputation? LOL. No. Murray and Melnyk are criticized regularly.

2) ?

Not really... he's a fairly one-dimensional player, he has never used his size much and he was given 7.2 million for 7 years despite the fact that he is now on pace for 50 something points for the 4th year in a row. I don't see how he was wrong about Ryan at all. Ottawa are really desperate these days and it shows. 7.2 for a 50 point player, that's unreal... and that's not even using hindsight as his contract hasn't even kicked in yet. They just gave him 7.2 million fully knowing that he's a 50 pt player.

Ryan was injured last year. Up to his injury, he was almost a PPG. This year, the team sucks, but he leads them in scoring.

What do you think Bobby Ryan would have gotten on the open market?

I suspect he'll be 20 to 25 goals, mid 50s in points, going forward, for a few years. Maybe 60 points in a good year. He's 27, by the time his contract is up, he'll 36 or something? It's already a bit of a problem,just not a huge problem. If he hits 30 and slows a little, it could easily work it's way into the discussion of one of the worst contracts in the league.

I think it's really becoming very apparent his production was getting a boost from playing with Getzlaf and Perry.

I am pretty sure he didn't play with Getzlaf and Perry, but that fits your agenda/narrative, so who cares, right?

You also forgot to adjust the 7 million/year relative contract value to the projected cap 5 years from now.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
He's on pace for 25g 60+ pts and he's been carrying a lackluster 2nd line on his back all season. If our top-6 was deep enough to slot him where he should be with Turris&Mac he'd be on pace for 30g and 70+ pts

Nope, sorry, Sens fans are wrong to be satisfied with Bobby Ryan. He is using Jedi mind tricks to keep them on his side.

torlev*

He barely put up those numbers playing with Getzlaf and Perry when they were playing their best, and you think he's going to do that with two guys who don't even belong on a first line? Can't you see that's silly?

His last two years in Anaheim, he still couldn't manage 60 points (or pace for that matter), and that's continued in Ottawa. It's the fourth straight season he hasn't.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
If by best you mean one of the worst in the past decade I am inclined to agree with you.

Uhm, nope. I would say 2004 draft was pretty crappy outside of the super stars in the top. Reminds me a lot of the 99 draft. 2012 is perhaps not as successful at the top of the draft, but has a great depth to it, just like in 2003.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Let's not talk about kessel having a bad contract, fellow sens fans. He's a great player and earns his money by being one if the best offensive wingers in the game.

Back on bobby, he is not just a shooter, he is a very good play maker as well, and can dangle very well as well. He's not one-dimentional offensively.

Bobby has thrown his weight around frequently since joining the sens. Last season he wasn't very good defensively, but he has obviously worked on it extremely hard, because he's made lots of great defensive plays as well. I believe it was a game against Tampa where he looked like a Norris trophy candidate.

Bobby is no longer a one dimensional player. He's embraced his bigger role on the sens and is playing outstanding hockey. If zibby didn't look like a echl'er for the first 20 games, bobby would have more points.

Sounds like Kessel but Kessel is 250x better at every offensive aspect of the game.

SensNation613

Dec 30, 2013
Ottawa
I still don't understand the Ryan hate, the guy has been an absolute beast in the defensive zone this year. If you asked me to take the Ryan from this year or the Ryan pre-hernia who was a PPG, I'd take the Ryan this year. The guy has been absolutely beastly and if it wasn't for Maclean's horrible decisions then he'd have many more goals. Zibanejad has a really slow start which also contributed to Ryan's low goal totals. Absolutely no Senators fan is unhappy with the extension Ryan signed, he's been dynamite and a real good example for the younger kids on this team. He's also a big part of Hoffman's hot start, always creating room for him.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Can't remember the exact details...

1990 (?) NHL draft. Flames Trade their 20th overall and two 2nds to NJ to move up in the draft and snag potential franchise tender Trevor Kidd. New Jersey uses the flames 20th overall to draft... Martin Brodeur...

That one worked out so well...

Near the end of 1995 the Calgary Flames and Dallas Stars were finalizing a deal for Joe Nieuwendyk. Nieuwendyk was a holdout and had generating offers, apparently 'better' offers from teams like the Leafs had been passed because the Flames had a specific target in mind....Todd Harvey.

The Stars would not trade Todd Harvey and instead the Flames settled on a prospect who had recently lead the Blazers to their second Memorial Cup in as many years, Jarome Iginla.

Lol this one, thank god.

parineum

Jun 5, 2009
Brayden Schenn was the centerpiece of the Flyers trading Mike Richards to LA. Wayne Simmonds was the secondary peice. Simmonds is now on pace to be their leading goal-scorer for the second consecutive season.

I've said this before on here but I'm not sure that's true. I'm a Kings fan and I've always thought that Simmonds was the better player in that deal. Schenn, at the time, was way hyped both here and in the media as the best player outside of the NHL but, in his few stints with the Kings, I was never impressed.

I had the idea that Simmonds was on his way (as in, probably) as 25+25 player for the Kings and I didn't see Schenn doing any more than that at best. Simmonds has exceeded those number but I'm not sure he would have on the Kings and he could easily be top 6 on the Kings.

Schenn was hyped by the media and fans but I think Lombardi and probably Holmgren knew the value and potential of Simmonds.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
We traded Shanny for Pronger and with the public outrage in STL you may as well have moved the team. Pronger won a Hart trophy as a defenseman. He was an absolute rock here until our old owner wanted to get rid of assets and traded him away. We still got to watch a hell of a player in his prime.

That trade was kind of forced on both sides though. Chris Pronger had character problems in Hartford on a dysfunctional team (Mike Keenan is who fixed him), and there was a potential locker room problem between Brendan Shanahan and Craig Janney that forced the issue on St. Louis' end. Of course, Shanny would only spend one season in Hartford. I would feel justified in saying that Pronger would have busted had he remained with the Whalers.

As for the OP...what about the Kyle Turris for David Rundblad trade? Turris was not living up to his potential in Phoenix, and Rundblad had earlier been traded for the pick that became Vladimir Tarasenko. The Coyotes got only 26 games out of David Rundblad (who spent most of his time in the minors), and he is now a bottom-pair defenseman for the Blackhawks, while Turris has become a good two-way player in Ottawa.

Last edited:

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands
As for the OP...what about the Kyle Turris for David Rundblad trade? Turris was not living up to his potential in Phoenix, and Rundblad had earlier been traded for the pick that became Vladimir Tarasenko. The Coyotes got only 26 games out of David Rundblad (who spent most of his time in the minors), and he is now a bottom-pair defenseman for the Blackhawks, while Turris has become a good two-way player in Ottawa.

That's not a great comparison. Turris was the only piece that Ottawa got in that trade, so it's hard to argue that Ottawa is surprised by what they got.

A better one would be the Vermette for Leclaire + a second round pick. Ottawa hoped that they were getting a starting goalie in that trade. The second round pick was used to select Robin Lehner, so there's still hope.

habsolutle

Dec 4, 2014
Except he isn't. Kopitar is the 2nd best player in that draft, but not "by far", which is what the other poster was saying.

exactly last time i check kopitar was not better then carey price and tuuka rask BY a large margin like the poster is insinuating

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
Omg the 2012 is such a weak draft, not even worth paying attention to it.

Lulz

- Dindt the Rangers had to choose between McDonagh and Pavel Valentenko at some points ?

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
He barely put up those numbers playing with Getzlaf and Perry when they were playing their best, and you think he's going to do that with two guys who don't even belong on a first line? Can't you see that's silly?

His last two years in Anaheim, he still couldn't manage 60 points (or pace for that matter), and that's continued in Ottawa. It's the fourth straight season he hasn't.

He's beloved anyways. Turns out that there is more than hockey than points (cough Phil Kessel cough).

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
- Dindt the Rangers had to choose between McDonagh and Pavel Valentenko at some points ?

They got both in the Gomez trade, so no.

You're probably thinking of the Kovalev trade, where the Rangers were apparently given their pick from a short list of Habs prospects that included Jozef Balej and Tomas Plekanec. They chose Balej because then-assistant GM Don Maloney liked what he saw from him in the AHL and the rest is history.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
They got both in the Gomez trade, so no.

You're probably thinking of the Kovalev trade, where the Rangers were apparently given their pick from a short list of Habs prospects that included Jozef Balej and Tomas Plekanec. They chose Balej because then-assistant GM Don Maloney liked what he saw from him in the AHL and the rest is history.

If only Glen Sather had made the call there...the Rangers would have had Plekanec. Damn you Maloney!

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
lol, it is funny that a Leafs fan is talking about Ryan being a one-dimensional player and a player that is overpaid especially when the Leafs are full of overpaid one dimensional players. :laugh:

You want to talk about unreal, how about try Kessel at 8 million when he is the very defintiion of a one dimensional player. Or how about Phaneuf at 7 million even though he would not be a #1 dman on actual contenders. And then there is Clarkson and his overpaid contract.

So because a poster cheers for a team that has an overpaid player or two it somehow nullifies a salient point made about a player on another team? That's some sound logic there...

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Compared to Yzerman, he definitely is a downgrade. Is that even debatable?

Would've been interesting to see what LaFontaine would've done if his career wasn't cut short at 33 due to concussions. 1.171 points per game, tops among USA born players.

But Yzerman almost matched that pace playing until 41. The Red Wings got their iconic player and his play and character helped solidify their modern history as one of the most consistent teams since.

LaFontaine was not a downgrade, shame he couldn't have a long career and see what he could've accomplished.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
This past offseason the Preds went hard after Jason Spezza as the cure to the oh so elusive 1C problem in Nashville. Well as we all know Spezza refused to waive his NTC to play in Nashville and ended up going to Dallas.

In the meanwhile, David Poile signs perennial problem-child Mike Ribeiro to a 1year/ 1.05 mil contract as a pseudo-1C filler. Six months later Ribeiro is nearly a PPG player, with a true 1C type stat line playing on one of the best top lines on one of the best teams in the league while Spezza and Dallas languish in the Central Division basement with their good buddies the Avs.

Now that is friggin irony right there folks :)

That doesn't make Ribeiro the better player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad