Somehow wound up with the better guy...

torlev*

If by best you mean one of the worst in the past decade I am inclined to agree with you.

Really? We're 2 1/2 seasons past, and there are a lot of guys making impacts in the NHL already. Yakupov is disappointing, but Galchenyuk, Rielly, Lindholm, Trouba, Forsberg, Girgensons, and Maatta, are all looking like they could be top NHL players. Give it another year, and you'll see many more starting to break in. Severson is looking good this year.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
I've seen him play plenty. He's soft. The fact that he offers nothing other than goal scoring is precisely why he was kept off Team USA last year, remember?

If he's playing the best hockey he's played, and had scored two goals in 15 games prior to last night, that should put up some big red flags for you. He's paid $7M+ to score goals, and he's not earning that money at all.

That kind of money for that kind of production is along the lines of Scott Gomez.

stop contradicting yourself.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
How so? Or is this an attempt to be clever and try to claim the old "if you don't agree then you just don't watch the game!"

It's not an attempt to be clever. You don't have to be clever to see that Ryan isn't soft and offers more than goal scoring

torlev*

It's not an attempt to be clever. You don't have to be clever to see that Ryan isn't soft and offers more than goal scoring

No, you just have to be a Sens fan.

Just like you had to be a Sens fan to see that they were going to be much better than last year, and a definite playoff team this year, as many were claiming in the offseason.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
I've seen him play plenty. He's soft. The fact that he offers nothing other than goal scoring is precisely why he was kept off Team USA last year, remember?

If he's playing the best hockey he's played, and had scored two goals in 15 games prior to last night, that should put up some big red flags for you. He's paid $7M+ to score goals, and he's not earning that money at all.

That kind of money for that kind of production is along the lines of Scott Gomez.

Errrr, 99% of Sens fans are in love with Bobby Ryan's play this year, so don't worry about him. And they have every reason to be objective, because:

- Management is being blamed for many other moves.
- This is a huge long-term contract. Big money attracts an extra critical eye.
- The team sucks.

Last edited:

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that if Edmonton select Ryan Murray instead of Yakupov that Columbus would have selected Galchenyuk and the habs would have probably selected Teuravainen instead of Yakupov.

Analyzer*

I wasn't following prospects much, but apparently Montreal was suppose to take Perron, but took Pacioretty instead.

torlev*

You were wrong about Bobby Ryan... just let it go.

:laugh:

Again, must be a Sens fan to see that. Because the rest of the world doesn't.

will he hit 20 goals you think? certainly not 25.....

$7M well spent.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
You were wrong about Bobby Ryan... just let it go.

Not really... he's a fairly one-dimensional player, he has never used his size much and he was given 7.2 million for 7 years despite the fact that he is now on pace for 50 something points for the 4th year in a row. I don't see how he was wrong about Ryan at all. Ottawa are really desperate these days and it shows. 7.2 for a 50 point player, that's unreal... and that's not even using hindsight as his contract hasn't even kicked in yet. They just gave him 7.2 million fully knowing that he's a 50 pt player.

torlev*

Not really... he's a fairly one-dimensional player, he has never used his size much and he was given 7.2 million for 7 years despite the fact that he is now on pace for 50 something points for the 4th year in a row. I don't see how he was wrong about Ryan at all. Ottawa are really desperate these days and it shows. 7.2 for a 50 point player, that's unreal... and that's not even using hindsight as his contract hasn't even kicked in yet. They just gave him 7.2 million fully knowing that he's a 50 pt player.

I suspect he'll be 20 to 25 goals, mid 50s in points, going forward, for a few years. Maybe 60 points in a good year. He's 27, by the time his contract is up, he'll 36 or something? It's already a bit of a problem,just not a huge problem. If he hits 30 and slows a little, it could easily work it's way into the discussion of one of the worst contracts in the league.

I think it's really becoming very apparent his production was getting a boost from playing with Getzlaf and Perry.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013

lol, it is funny that a Leafs fan is talking about Ryan being a one-dimensional player and a player that is overpaid especially when the Leafs are full of overpaid one dimensional players. :laugh:

You want to talk about unreal, how about try Kessel at 8 million when he is the very defintiion of a one dimensional player. Or how about Phaneuf at 7 million even though he would not be a #1 dman on actual contenders. And then there is Clarkson and his overpaid contract.

Last edited:

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
For fun, lets talk about the ironic situations where some team, maybe yours, has high hopes to get some player but instead has to settle for some one else lesser...and that "lesser" player wound up being the better player.

I'll give two examples:
In 2005 lottery draft, the Ducks missed out on drafting Crosby but at number two they were projected and set to get franchise defenseman Jack Johnson. Instead they passed and picked someone else who was projected as top five with their 2nd over pick, Bobby Ryan. Johnson gave big headaches to Carolina, never played a game for them. Currently he's a poor man's #1 defenseman. Ryan has been a highly coveted winger and considered the more valuable player and has the smoother career so far.

I don't think that's a good or accurate example of what the introduction of your OP suggests. Getting Bobby Ryan wasn't a case of not getting Jack Johnson that as "hoped for", it was a deliberate decision made by the Ducks organization to choose Ryan over Johnson.

Last edited:

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
You want to talk about unreal, how about try Kessel at 8 million when he is the very defintiion of a one dimensional player. Or how about Phaneuf at 7 million even though he would not be a #1 dman on actual contenders. And then there is Clarkson and his overpaid contract.

Clarkson is low-hanging fruit, but Kessel and Phaneuf are better contracts than Ryan. Ryan is the definition of a supporting scorer, while Phaneuf can at least carry a second pairing or serve as a #2 dman. And Kessel, while certainly one dimensional, is really good at that one dimension; you're talking a guy who is consistently in the top 10 in scoring versus one who often isn't even in the top 60, at only a hair over a million dollars more.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
In 2005 lottery draft, the Ducks missed out on drafting Crosby but at number two they were projected and set to get franchise defenseman Jack Johnson. Instead they passed and picked someone else who was projected as top five with their 2nd over pick, Bobby Ryan. Johnson gave big headaches to Carolina, never played a game for them. Currently he's a poor man's #1 defenseman. Ryan has been a highly coveted winger and considered the more valuable player and has the smoother career so far.

I'd rather have Jack Johnson over Bobby Ryan any day of the week.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
Let's not talk about kessel having a bad contract, fellow sens fans. He's a great player and earns his money by being one if the best offensive wingers in the game.

Back on bobby, he is not just a shooter, he is a very good play maker as well, and can dangle very well as well. He's not one-dimentional offensively.

Bobby has thrown his weight around frequently since joining the sens. Last season he wasn't very good defensively, but he has obviously worked on it extremely hard, because he's made lots of great defensive plays as well. I believe it was a game against Tampa where he looked like a Norris trophy candidate.

Bobby is no longer a one dimensional player. He's embraced his bigger role on the sens and is playing outstanding hockey. If zibby didn't look like a echl'er for the first 20 games, bobby would have more points.

TheSenator

The other guys
Apr 4, 2013
Ottawa, ON
You know Jack Johnson has almost as many points as Bobby Ryan although he's a defenseman. I don't see how Bobby Ryan is that much better than him. If Jack JOhnson is a poor man's #1 defenseman, Bobby Ryan is very poor man's first line winger.

What? No he doesn't. Besides most of his points are secondary assists and he's a -20 on the season with only 3 goals....

Ryan scores at twice the rate, is strong defensively on a weak defensive team and is a perrenial 30g scorer with the only exceptions being the lockout shortened year and last year(played through injuries for months before finally getting the required surgery. Was still on pace for 27...)

Bobby Ryan might not be a Perry/Ovechkin/Kane-esque player but he's without question one of the better top-line wingers in the league.

TheSenator

The other guys
Apr 4, 2013
Ottawa, ON
:laugh:

Again, must be a Sens fan to see that. Because the rest of the world doesn't.

will he hit 20 goals you think? certainly not 25.....

$7M well spent.

Guaranteed he scores more than 20....

He's currently on pace for 25g 62pts despite only playing 16-17 minutes on a nightly basis. His lackluster productions been more a result of Maclean's idiotic decision making(Neil over Ryan as the extra attacker, Stone over Ryan on the top line etc.) than an indication of his skill level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad