Somehow wound up with the better guy...

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
Thomas Vanek didn't re-sign with us and Dan Boyle wanted nothing to do with us, so instead Garth went out and got Grabovski, Kulemin, Leddy and Boychuck. Without those four players, I doubt this season is as successful as it's been so far.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Didn't the flyers want Sanguinetti and settled for Giroux?

Also we had our heads wrapped around Tarasenko and then Clark goes up there and picks a goon at 10th overall

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
I was absolutely livid when we traded down from 14 instead of drafting Maatta, but then Maatta fell all the way down to 21. I was celebrating like crazy, thought Feaster had just pulled off a huge steal, not only are we getting Maatta still now we have a second rounder too. Then he said Mark Jankowski

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Carey Price, Tuuka Rask, Jonathan Quick, James Neal.
Including goalies you have a point but offensively, he's the best player behind Crosby by far. Neal has a lot to prove not playing alongside Malkin as to how good he truly is.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
When Dean Lombardi took over, LA has scoring woes and the team's search for a first line, game breaking scorer, maybe two of them even, has been quite ironic in this sense. In so many of the players we looked for, we came in second in the race.

With Marian Hossa, he gave LA a gentle answer that LA and Chicago looked to have a bright future but Chicago was closer to the Cup, which made sense. So no hard feelings there.

First the Kings acquired Ryan Smyth who appeared to be perfect playing on the first line with Anze Kopitar, jumpstarting the latter's offense. After a while, the Kings fans and organization accepted Smyth as a leader on that team despite aging badly and slowing down tremendously. Suddenly in the 2011 off season, right before LA's first Cup run, he demanded to be traded and LA reluctantly did. There was a huge snafu about the health player coming back in Colin Fraser. In the end, Smyth was sitting at home, watching LA win the Cup while his team was in the draft lottery and Colin Fraser was a wonderful 4th line center for LA that season on a team that rolls four lines. And Smyth's massive cap hit, signed years earlier before the cap era was in full effect, opened up enough space for LA to acquire Jeff Carter while Smyth tried to keep playing as a massively overpaid 4th line winger.

The Kings tried for Ilya Kovalchuk, who dragged them around and spurned them. Instead they got Jeff Carter. Kovalchuk goes to New Jersey who LA beats in the Cup final that next year, Carter scores some big goals including the game 2 OT goal and now is a rising star and a core player in LA while Kovalchuk is in the KHL.

After acquiring Carter, LA failed to also acquire Rick Nash in a package with Carter from Columbus. LA rumored was not on Nash's list of acceptable teams. He instead got dealt to the Rangers. When on the Rangers, that made Gaborik expendable and he was traded to Columbus. Then in this year's finals, Nash appeared to be snakebit the whole series including that shot late in game 5 on the open net that was crazily deflected by the shaft of Slava Voynov. LA beats New York and wins the Cup on home ice again due to Nash's inability to finish.
Also, LA attempted to woo Brad Richards after they acquired Jeff Carter since they couldn't get Nash. In similar fashion as Kovalchuk, B. Richards chose the New York Rangers. He also was total trash against LA in the finals and got to suffer the same defeat. (No shame to the Rangers team though, they as a team were real good. ) So after failing to acquire Nash, then Richards who both went to the Rangers, trade short list and UFA choice respectively, LA acquires the "broken down" and doubly-rejected (by NYR and CBJ) Marian Gaborik for basically a song and dance. And he proceeds to lead the playoffs in goal scoring by A LOT...number 2 is Jeff Carter..you can't make this stuff up, folks.

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
Jack Johnson shouldn't be anyone's #1 d-man.

Also, I don't know, I guess I've never been 100% convinced Forsberg was better than Lindros, and I think if Lindros got to play on the same team as Joe Sakic, he'd also have the rings and maybe a few more points, and I still think he belongs in the Hall of Fame.

It wasn't a one for one trade. It's still hard to say Philly won it, but it feels weird when we talk about this trade and Lindros all of a sudden becomes this big bust and we all forget Forsberg was also constantly hurt.

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
dont know if its irony or not as i failed english a few times but i know alot of Ranger fans thought MDZ would fetch a higher return then kevin klien and alot of fans were upset. But now its seems everyone turned on him and hes been one of the most consistent dmen the rangers have

Ocoee

Sep 1, 2010
Denver
Jack Johnson shouldn't be anyone's #1 d-man.

Also, I don't know, I guess I've never been 100% convinced Forsberg was better than Lindros, and I think if Lindros got to play on the same team as Joe Sakic, he'd also have the rings and maybe a few more points, and I still think he belongs in the Hall of Fame.

It wasn't a one for one trade. It's still hard to say Philly won it, but it feels weird when we talk about this trade and Lindros all of a sudden becomes this big bust and we all forget Forsberg was also constantly hurt.

I don't think anyone considers Lindros a big bust. He's being considered for the HOF

bhawks1399*

Blackhawks could have gotten a load of better players who I can't currently think of but passed and drafted Can ****ing Barker instead. I can't believe we missed out on Blake Wheeler (that's the only one I can think of currently)

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Watching the Blues game, I found it ironic Stastny said he was worried about being stuck behind Duchene and Mackinnon for one of the reasons he left.

He's now playing on the 3rd line with Reaves and Jaskin :laugh:

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
The Devils traded Tom Kurvers to Toronto for a 1st round pick in the 1993. Lou Lamoriello REALLY wanted to get an extra 1st round pick because that was the year Eric Lindros was available and Lou wanted him badly. At the end of the season, the Toronto pick ended up being 3rd overall.

Lindros went 1st overall, the Devils had to "settle" with Scott Niedermayer as the 3rd overall pick. Now Lindros was a bad dude in his time, don't get me wrong, but Niedermayer is a Norris/Conn Smythe/4 time Cup champion and had much more staying power as a player while still reaching a huge peak.

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
Kadri over Schenn.

Burke wanted Schenn, tried to trade up for him, couldn't get it done. Picked Kadri.

Thank you Boyd Devereaux for scoring two in the final game to push us to picking 7th overall instead of 5th overall.

Burke really wanted Tavares also.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Pens had the worst record in the league, lost the lottery and Ovechkin, ended up with Malkin. Neither is a prize to be upset about ending up with, but Malkin is considered by most to be the better player now.

Right now. Over the course of their careers, it's still Ovechkin.

Anyway, I thought the Canadiens would draft Grigorenko in 2012, but they went for Galchenyuk, who is the best of his draft class besides Filip Forsberg.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
When Dean Lombardi took over, LA has scoring woes and the team's search for a first line, game breaking scorer, maybe two of them even, has been quite ironic in this sense. In so many of the players we looked for, we came in second in the race.

With Marian Hossa, he gave LA a gentle answer that LA and Chicago looked to have a bright future but Chicago was closer to the Cup, which made sense. So no hard feelings there.

First the Kings acquired Ryan Smyth who appeared to be perfect playing on the first line with Anze Kopitar, jumpstarting the latter's offense. After a while, the Kings fans and organization accepted Smyth as a leader on that team despite aging badly and slowing down tremendously. Suddenly in the 2011 off season, right before LA's first Cup run, he demanded to be traded and LA reluctantly did. There was a huge snafu about the health player coming back in Colin Fraser. In the end, Smyth was sitting at home, watching LA win the Cup while his team was in the draft lottery and Colin Fraser was a wonderful 4th line center for LA that season on a team that rolls four lines. And Smyth's massive cap hit, signed years earlier before the cap era was in full effect, opened up enough space for LA to acquire Jeff Carter while Smyth tried to keep playing as a massively overpaid 4th line winger.

The Kings tried for Ilya Kovalchuk, who dragged them around and spurned them. Instead they got Jeff Carter. Kovalchuk goes to New Jersey who LA beats in the Cup final that next year, Carter scores some big goals including the game 2 OT goal and now is a rising star and a core player in LA while Kovalchuk is in the KHL.

After acquiring Carter, LA failed to also acquire Rick Nash in a package with Carter from Columbus. LA rumored was not on Nash's list of acceptable teams. He instead got dealt to the Rangers. When on the Rangers, that made Gaborik expendable and he was traded to Columbus. Then in this year's finals, Nash appeared to be snakebit the whole series including that shot late in game 5 on the open net that was crazily deflected by the shaft of Slava Voynov. LA beats New York and wins the Cup on home ice again due to Nash's inability to finish.
Also, LA attempted to woo Brad Richards after they acquired Jeff Carter since they couldn't get Nash. In similar fashion as Kovalchuk, B. Richards chose the New York Rangers. He also was total trash against LA in the finals and got to suffer the same defeat. (No shame to the Rangers team though, they as a team were real good. ) So after failing to acquire Nash, then Richards who both went to the Rangers, trade short list and UFA choice respectively, LA acquires the "broken down" and doubly-rejected (by NYR and CBJ) Marian Gaborik for basically a song and dance. And he proceeds to lead the playoffs in goal scoring by A LOT...number 2 is Jeff Carter..you can't make this stuff up, folks.

You can't write history backwards. If Kovy goes to LA, maybe he gets the Cup and he stays in the NHL.

No GM in their right mind would pick Carter over Kovalchuk if you eliminate the KHL possibility.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
Compared to Yzerman, he definitely is a downgrade. Is that even debatable?

Not really. LaFontaine scored over 1,000 points (468-545) despite having concussion problems. He might have had a longer career if not for Francois Leroux.

As for the Pens, I will say Geno over OV. OV is largely offensive, but Geno is likely the #1 guy on any other NHL team and is the complete package.

Also, didn't the Flyers settle for Claude Giroux in his draft year? Now he's their captain.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Near the end of 1995 the Calgary Flames and Dallas Stars were finalizing a deal for Joe Nieuwendyk. Nieuwendyk was a holdout and had generating offers, apparently 'better' offers from teams like the Leafs had been passed because the Flames had a specific target in mind....Todd Harvey.

The Stars would not trade Todd Harvey and instead the Flames settled on a prospect who had recently lead the Blazers to their second Memorial Cup in as many years, Jarome Iginla.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
In 2011, I remember there were rumors that Brodin was going to be taken pretty high. Even to Boston maybe. Instead, Boston chooses the safer of the two pickers, Dougie Hamilton and Minnesota has to settle on Brodin, who is one of the best Swedish defensemen in the league.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
We traded Shanny for Pronger and with the public outrage in STL you may as well have moved the team. Pronger won a Hart trophy as a defenseman. He was an absolute rock here until our old owner wanted to get rid of assets and traded him away. We still got to watch a hell of a player in his prime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad