Solutions to Fix the Avs

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Mackinnon+(defensemen) for Seth Jones+Colin Wilson

*runs away*
rsz_cat_chased.jpg

O'Reilly+Barrie for Seth Jones+Forward.
---------

Getting more passion in the bottom 6 would be a good start. It's too soft and slow.

McGinn-Mitchell-Everberg
Bordeleau-Winchester-Talbot

Would be a lot more entertaining.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
We need younger guys to fill out our bottom six if we ever want to reach the next level. I'm still patient and hope everything works out but we can't be playing this kind of quick strike offense with Iginla, Tanguay and Briere playing prominent roles, less so Briere. Also it's obvious that our bottom six is terrible hence the need for young guys on their ELC's to fill that out. A guy like Toffoli to have on our bottom six would be amazing, I only wish Hishon can carve out a career for himself. We need guys with legs and should have cut down our influx of veteran this off-season by half. Iginla, Tanguay and Talbot would have been enough but Roy totally over did it adding Stuart and Briere.

Also the more and more the season goes along, I have a sinking feeling that there isn't great locker room vibes anymore. It just seems like our young guys are not having as much fun anymore, too many veterans leading this team when it should be our young guys being the leaders.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
rsz_cat_chased.jpg

O'Reilly+Barrie for Seth Jones+Forward.
---------

Getting more passion in the bottom 6 would be a good start. It's too soft and slow.

McGinn-Mitchell-Everberg
Bordeleau-Winchester-Talbot

Would be a lot more entertaining.

i wouldnt mind this trade , but Nash would say no :sarcasm:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Patience would be good. The second period against Florida was a good start, just gotta build on that and get on a roll. Hopefully closer to the deadline we can snag one the rental dmen early without giving up a premium piece, if not, well next summer isn't that far off.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I just hope they don't extend Hejda who's a UFA next year. At least upgrade that position next off season.

Still need two left handed top 4 d-men

????-EJ
????-Barrie
Stuart - Holden

Although both Stuart and Holden are lefties so I dunno how that would work out

We have heard a lot about how Stuart is actually better on the right in the past, and to me he has looked better on that side for us (though that could have just been the competition he started to face). So, works out perfect.

I actually like this paring. Very physical. Stuart is great on the PK so far. Holden is an assest on the PP and can do some PK as well (not very good at it, but at least good enough to be a viable option). And as the 3rd pair neither should be going up against the other teams best offensive players too often.

No thanks. If we move Jones I want Mackinnon or at least Duchene.

Jones+(quality bottom sixer) for Duchene+(replacement D)

no way. Duchene is an elite player in this league.

Last edited:

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Trading Duchene, MacKinnon, Landeskog, Varlamov, Johnson or I guess Barrie too, would only hurt the team more than help it.

The others are fair game though, trade them all for all I care, especially if it'll improve the team.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Early last year Avs fans seemed more receptive to moving Duchene than Mackinnon. I guess that has changed. Makes sense to me, Duchene is an incredible player.

Those Avs fans you're referencing were an extremely small minority--and they absolutely do not represent the mindset of the vast majority of the Avalanche fanbase (at least here on HF)

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Early last year Avs fans seemed more receptive to moving Duchene than Mackinnon. I guess that has changed. Makes sense to me, Duchene is an incredible player.

By more receptive, you mean he's a hair less untouchable. They're not moving either one, even for a fair deal.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Solution? Have Patrick lose about 30 pounds and get the pads back on.

We're in for a rough season, friends.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

Not really.

We're 1-4-2 right now and when you consider that:

- Florida & Toronto went to OT, where we could have been the team to cash in but didn't (it WILL swing our way at some point)

Two victories there and we're 3-4 instead​

- Against Montreal & Ottawa, we hit posts instead of a few inches towards the inside of the goal that would have given us bigger leads going into the 3rd period...not to mention having our 3rd string goalie in the net (he played fine but he's no Varly)

Win 1 or even both of those games and we're either 4-3 or 5-2 and nobody here is freaking out. But I watch the games, I know we've played much better hockey in the past and being out of sync like that is a little scary.

So while we haven't played up to our capabilities, we've still been in every game except for Game #1. Last year, we were winning these 1 goal games and this year, so far we are not but to suggest we're going to suck all year and miss the playoffs is shortsighted in my opinion. Way too much talent for them not to eventually figure out how to get it done.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007

Our goaltending is the LAST of our worries. Get Foote to lose 30 pounds and get his skates back on. Then we would be talking.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Not really.

We're 1-4-2 right now and when you consider that:

- Florida & Toronto went to OT, where we could have been the team to cash in but didn't (it WILL swing our way at some point)

Two victories there and we're 3-4 instead​

- Against Montreal & Ottawa, we hit posts instead of a few inches towards the inside of the goal that would have given us bigger leads going into the 3rd period...not to mention having our 3rd string goalie in the net (he played fine but he's no Varly)

Win 1 or even both of those games and we're either 4-3 or 5-2 and nobody here is freaking out. But I watch the games, I know we've played much better hockey in the past and being out of sync like that is a little scary.

So while we haven't played up to our capabilities, we've still been in every game except for Game #1. Last year, we were winning these 1 goal games and this year, so far we are not but to suggest we're going to suck all year and miss the playoffs is shortsighted in my opinion. Way too much talent for them not to eventually figure out how to get it done.

I agree with the sentiment that the breaks aren't going our way, or that we just haven't been the team to cash in on chances we were cashing in on last season but the team's play does worry me a lot. I mean, on home ice, how many of the other 28 NHL teams get thoroughly outplayed by the Florida Panthers? I'd say at the most 2, Buffalo and Carolina. I don't want to be in that territory associated with those two bottom feeders but that's how we're playing right now and it is very scary, for a team with this much talent it's very scary.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I agree with the sentiment that the breaks aren't going our way, or that we just haven't been the team to cash in on chances we were cashing in on last season but the team's play does worry me a lot. I mean, on home ice, how many of the other 28 NHL teams get thoroughly outplayed by the Florida Panthers? I'd say at the most 2, Buffalo and Carolina. I don't want to be in that territory associated with those two bottom feeders but that's how we're playing right now and it is very scary, for a team with this much talent it's very scary.

You gotta give them credit too...the Panthers came in hungry and they played real well in the 1st period. Looks like we got caught by surprised but we bounced back as well, which was nice to see.

It's one thing if we're playing our best and still losing but we've all seen this team play much better...so I tend not to try and not worry too much about it for now. We'll get better. When you don't play your best and can manage to still be in games, it bodes well for when you are playing well in the future.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Hope this was worth that 2008 first!

TV, please don't. Please. Such a stupid trade by FG. Awful.

So many defensemen the Avs could have had with that pick: Josi, Voynov, Hamonic, Schultz, Carlson, Sbisa - not to mention Scandella, Wiercioch, Del Zotto.

Instead the Avs got a few injury-shortened seasons of a shell of the player Adam Foote once was.

Oh, and Cameron Gaunce three picks before Hamonic. :banghead:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

So many defensemen the Avs could have had with that pick: Josi, Voynov, Hamonic, Schultz, Carlson, Sbisa - not to mention Scandella, Wiercioch, Del Zotto.

Instead the Avs got a few injury-shortened seasons of a shell of the player Adam Foote once was.

imagine if we had missed the playoffs that year... god damn.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007

I don't know enough about quantum physics. So I just worry about the present and future. Hard to change a trade for a player that has already retired and a GM from 2 regimes ago. Try as you may.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad