Solutions to Fix the Avs

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Waive/scratch the old vets and play some kids. That's all there is to do right now unless you can nab a Larsson or Gormley.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Hire Sacco
Draft McDavid
Kidnap and clone Drew Doughty and Ryan Suter
Profit

While they're at it, invent time travel so they can un-extend Stuart, Guenin, Cliche, Mcleod, Bordeleau.

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
The team needs defense. This hasn't been addressed for a decade with no signs of trying to improve it. We get out shot constantly because we have no shutdown guys outside of EJ, and Barrie seems to be the only one who can skate the puck out of the zone and not turn it over. Bottom line, if we keep icing the worst defense in the league, we will continue to suck.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If you are looking at trade possibilities... It is hard to see a better option than Gormley. Erixon would also be a player to call about.

This team needs better puck movement and skating on defense. That starts with Redmond getting in. Then maybe finding a way to work in one of Siemens/Noreau/Elliott bit by bit if Redmond isn't enough. It isn't panic button time, but they need a wake up call.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
the thing is our future d looks really bright with barrie and EJ still young and bigras, siemens, geertsen and wood coming up.

Florida looked like they righted the ship a few years ago with Markstrom, Gudbradson, Kulikov, Huberdeau, Bjugstad all in their prospect pool.

Now they haven't all busted, but so far it looks like a bunch of them aren't going to be close to their ceilings. In the end they're just prospects. You fix the problem now if you can, and you deal with the issue of having too much talent later.

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago
the thing is our future d looks really bright with barrie and EJ still young and bigras, siemens, geertsen and wood coming up.

The chances of there being a first pairing defenseman in that group is probably about 10%, and it'll be a few years before that would happen. We'll be lucky if Wood develops into a steady NHL blue liner on any pairing.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
People who liked this team after the off season who are nowing calling for a blow up is just fickle. It's been 6,5 games.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
What would you do if you were Sakic?

Not one thing. Let it roll and work with the players they have.

If they're not in playoff position nearing the deadline, trade whatever vets are tradable for prospects/picks, and fill those positions with young guys for the remainder of the season - see what they've got.

Last edited:

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I read a blog post recently about how the defensive defenseman is going extinct, and I'm starting to believe it.

Though Jan Hejda may occasionally make a great defensive play that saves a goal, a guy like Andre Benoit is going to connect his outlet passes on every play.

(^ No elaboration needed)

I'm waiting for Redmond to get in the line-up because I think he's going to make a huge impact. I think when Jan Hejda becomes an unrestricted free agents this summer, the Avalanche would be wise to replace him with a puck moving defenseman.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I read a blog post recently about how the defensive defenseman is going extinct, and I'm starting to believe it.

Though Jan Hejda may occasionally make a great defensive play that saves a goal, a guy like Andre Benoit is going to connect his outlet passes on every play.

(^ No elaboration needed)

I'm waiting for Redmond to get in the line-up because I think he's going to make a huge impact. I think when Jan Hejda becomes an unrestricted free agents this summer, the Avalanche would be wise to replace him with a puck moving defenseman.

siemens will have hejda spot next year

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago
People who liked this team after the off season who are nowing calling for a blow up is just fickle. It's been 6,5 games.

I don't think I'm being fickle or calling for a blow up. But during the offseason, I was buying into the idea that a combo of Hejda/Stuart could form with Johnson a serviceable top pairing. I'm comfortable saying I was wrong.

But who knows what Roy will do with Stuart. Last year I was convinced Holden would never be an NHL quality defenseman, and I was obviously wrong about that.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think there are any calls for a blow up. A simple switch to Redmond is the starting point (almost everbody agrees on that). Then maybe look into the minors for more mobility if that isn't working. If none of that works, work on a trade for some.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

Interesting. I was having a similar discussion with a friend the other night. I'm not sure I believe it, but defensive defensemen are going to have to be able to skate and move the puck well at least.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Interesting. I was having a similar discussion with a friend the other night. I'm not sure I believe it, but defensive defensemen are going to have to be able to skate and move the puck well at least.

I agree. You look at some of the more successful defensive d-mean in the league right now - Johnny Boychuk, Niklas Hjalmarsson, Daniel Girardi - and you find a group of players who have a more rounded skill set, even if they're not lighting up the score sheet.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
This is a pretty innocent thread and has nothing to do with Landeskog. It's somewhere to discuss ways for making this team better. I purposefully did not bring Landeskog into the equation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad