GDT: SOLAR STORM, THE GAME AFTER

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
So to oppose another bad take. When you are in the thick of a close playoff race, have a mounting pile of injuries, including one to a dman they traded for, why would you open up that can of worms to leave 2 AHL goalies out to dry? In addition, we already have one of, if not the hardest remaining schedule of all NHL team.

I'm not blaming Ned at, and we could've played better in front of him, but that was a huge risk to take if you claim to be all in for making a playoff push. And whenever Mrazek comes back, it's not like he's some huge workhorse that we rely on.
We've had multiple chances to get a guy like Lehner

I think we just dislike good goalies

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
It's probably time to start worrying about the Rags too though. And they're winning.

Winning against the isles at least. Hopefully someone else would take them out if we both the made the playoffs anyway— and we dont have another reg season game against them. Goodness knows we cant beat them lol

Reactions: VAcaniac

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Checking back in...

Best case scenario tonight is CBJ regulation loss and NYR OT loss. At least TOR pulled one out too.

It’s going to be a dogfight for that last WC spot between CAR/CBJ/NYR. Right now, it’s tough not to think that NYR has the inside shot with how they’re playing.

Reactions: DaveG

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
first game with trocheck and skjei, without peesh, without an nhl goalie - they were going to have things to figure out.

step 1: somebody mr. miyagi-style heal vatanen and send eddy upstairs.

step 2: trade a pick for crawford - he isn't playing in the playoffs either way, so plug him in until someone is healthy.

enjoy at least two home games worth of playoff goodness.

Reactions: AD Skinner

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
We've had multiple chances to get a guy like Lehner

I think we just dislike good goalies

This is what upsets me. I remember a large number of people that wanted Darling over Bishop. Then we could've signed Vezina candidate Lehner in the offseason and chose to go into the season with what we have now. Then we had an opportunity to correct that mistake at the trade deadline, and again opted against it.

Reactions: skipnjump

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
To my understanding, we didn't go after Lehner at the deadline because the price they wanted wasn't worth it, when Mrazek isn't (apparently) as far off as expected.

Reactions: DaveG

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
To my understanding, we didn't go after Lehner at the deadline because the price they wanted wasn't worth it, when Mrazek isn't (apparently) as far off as expected.
Hard to believe that considering what Lehner actually did end up going for

If they really wanted him, they could have got him. But it looks like they didn't really have upgrading goalie as a priority.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Hard to believe that considering what Lehner actually did end up going for

If they really wanted him, they could have got him. But it looks like they didn't really have upgrading goalie as a priority.
I suspect Chicago was really trying to squeeze us and was genuinely shocked with no plan B when we said no, and then had to scramble.

I also suspect we were trying to work out an extension with Lehner so as to make it a hockey deal, but Lehner said no, again. We clearly tried to sign him over the offseason, and for some reason he's not interested.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
So to oppose another bad take. When you are in the thick of a close playoff race, have a mounting pile of injuries, including one to a dman they traded for, why would you open up that can of worms to leave 2 AHL goalies out to dry? In addition, we already have one of, if not the hardest remaining schedule of all NHL team.

I'm not blaming Ned at, and we could've played better in front of him, but that was a huge risk to take if you claim to be all in for making a playoff push. And whenever Mrazek comes back, it's not like he's some huge workhorse that we rely on.

Maybe they watched our skaters hold an offensive juggernaut like Toronto to 10 shots and two chances over 31 minutes of a game in Toronto and they figured it wasn't worth giving up assets for a week or 10 days until Mrazek came back? And honestly, most of the team got the message. Outside of Edmundson getting walked on a 1-on-2, making a bad pinch leading to a 3-on-1 and missing a pass leaving a sniper alone in the slot, we didn't give up much.

If a healthy Pesce took Edmundson's minutes tonight, we'd still be playing.

I'm not excited about Ned and/or Forsberg, but they weren't the problem tonight. For the most part, Edmundson was.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I suspect Chicago was really trying to squeeze us and was genuinely shocked with no plan B when we said no, and then had to scramble.

I also suspect we were trying to work out an extension with Lehner so as to make it a hockey deal, but Lehner said no, again. We clearly tried to sign him over the offseason, and for some reason he's not interested.
I don't buy it that it's all on either Chicago or Lehner, but who knows, you could be right.

Not that it matters now anyway.

Reactions: zman77

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008

Didn't Toronto conspire to keep Lehner from us as well?

RBA and boys very sad about losing Wally (and Haula) it seems from his comments. This team hasn't dealt with change well all season so no big surprise.

I don't buy it that it's all on either Chicago or Lehner, but who knows, you could be right.

Not that it matters now anyway.

Look, we're not doing things the same as other teams. We made a hockey trade at the deadline. We traded for a guy with four years left on his deal. Trading for Lehner with no extension doesn't fit with what we're trying to do. I know we broke the rules for Vatanen, but maybe we were trying something with Lehner that Chicago and/or Lehner didn't like. It's not the first time.

And like I said before, we may not want to put Lehner in this locker room. Maybe there are serious concerns about how he'll fit. He is now on his fourth team in three season, and he's extraordinarily outspoken, both in the room and on social media. He may just not be a "Rod" guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00