GDT: SOLAR STORM, THE GAME AFTER

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Adversity makes this team fold like a cheap lawn chair. That’s one glaring difference from last season.

They're one game removed from losing both of their goal tenders, and their 2nd best defenseman in the same game, then go on to hold one of the best offenses in the NHL to 7 shots in a 3rd period backed by a 42 year old EBUG. Probably the most adversity any team has faced all season and they won. Let's give this group at least a little credit.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Look, we're not doing things the same as other teams.
Maybe they should try then, preferably teams that can string together consecutive playoff appearances and more than one appearance in a decade. I don't know why we're pretending the Canes front office is special after one miraculous season and that they shouldn't be questioned for their moves when they don't have any kind of consistent track record.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
The Stats show something similiar to the Leafs game.
No Luck for the boys tonight.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I suspect Chicago was really trying to squeeze us and was genuinely shocked with no plan B when we said no, and then had to scramble.

I also suspect we were trying to work out an extension with Lehner so as to make it a hockey deal, but Lehner said no, again. We clearly tried to sign him over the offseason, and for some reason he's not interested.

If Bowman was genuinely shocked, he's a dope. Chicago having to settle for a 2nd (+) at 2:30 or so was extremely predictable given the demand for goalies this deadline. There was one team in the market for a starter and they were never going to pay the 1st round premium for him.

Waddell had several irons in the fire up until the end. It may not have feasible logistically to be there when Bowman finally gave up on his unrealistic demands, which have since been rumored to be as high as both 1sts (Link).

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
David Ayres sounds warning siren for Canes but Stars win game 4-1

“It’s tough when you get new guys in and throw a lot at them, whole systems,” Brind’Amour said after the morning skate. “We brought in really quality people here so I’m pretty excited about that. We know they’re good hockey players but whole new systems for them and I don’t want to expect too much out of them.”
Skjei, obtained from the New York Rangers, was in the top defensive pairing with Jaccob Slavin, who played his offside. Like Trocheck, he had some good offensive looks, joining the rush when the opportunity was there and showing some speed.
“I thought things for me personally settled down after the first few shifts,” Skjei said. “I was trying not to think too much and just play the game and thought as the game went on I played better. A few tough bounces on some of the goals but I’m really impressed with this team and the work ethic and the trust the guys have in each other.”
Trocheck was acquired from Florida in a deal that sent centers Erik Haula and Lucas Wallmark and two prospects to the Panthers. The veteran center was put in Haula’s slot on the third line between wingers Nino Niederreiter and Martin Necas.
“They make plays. It was a lot of fun to play with those two,” Trocheck said. “They both have great vision. They work hard, they get on the forecheck. I had chances I should have buried.”
“The first games are always tough, especially when you don’t really know our systems that well,” Brind’Amour said. “But I thought they looked really good.”
https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/nhl/carolina-hurricanes/article240612956.html

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Maybe they should try then, preferably teams that can string together consecutive playoff appearances and more than one appearance in a decade. I don't know why we're pretending the Canes front office is special after one miraculous season and that they shouldn't be questioned for their moves when they don't have any kind of consistent track record.

Wow. Okay. Just... whatever, man.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Wow. Okay. Just... whatever, man.
What is even slightly controversial about my post?

I'm grateful they led us back to the playoffs last year but they've certainly made a few questionable decisions this season.

Multiple people have made "Patriots way" type posts regarding how they make decisions. What in the f*** have they done they done to be compared in the same breath as the Patriots? It's just funny seeing shit like that.

This is just like the Gettleman cult of personality that Panthers fans developed after the Super Bowl season.

You can't even make legitimate criticisms without people feigning incredulity.

I just hope this ends better for the Canes than the Gettleman era did with the Panthers.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
What is even slightly controversial about my post?

I'm grateful they led us back to the playoffs last year but they've certainly made a few questionable decisions this season.

Multiple people have made "Patriots way" type posts regarding how they make decisions. What in the f*ck have they done they done to be compared in the same breath as the Patriots? It's just funny seeing shit like that.

This is just like the Gettleman cult of personality that Panthers fans developed after the Super Bowl season.

You can't even make legitimate criticisms without people feigning incredulity.

I just hope this ends better for the Canes than the Gettleman era did with the Panthers.

Your post is not a legitimate criticism. Your post is f***ing nonsense.

This team is young, good, and sometimes frustrating. Their goal differential is +26, which is only three less than the Caps who lead the division. They probably have a 40 goal scorer, a 30 goal scorer, and multiple 20 goal scorers this season. They lost 2 goaltenders and a top pairing defenseman literally one game ago, a game they won with a Zamboni driver in net. They lost a Norris candidate defenseman last month. And yet they went out and reloaded with two actual hockey trades at the deadline and a rental to boot. All this after we spent a decade paying for players with the loose change that Karmanos found under his couch cushions and ultimately wondering whether we would even have a hockey team.

What the f*** do you want? The best players on this team are 22 and 19 years old. Maybe we miss the playoffs this year, so what?

And yes, I guess some people are comparing them to the Patriots. Those people, like you, are also being f***ing ridiculous, except on the other extreme.

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Maybe they watched our skaters hold an offensive juggernaut like Toronto to 10 shots and two chances over 31 minutes of a game in Toronto and they figured it wasn't worth giving up assets for a week or 10 days until Mrazek came back? And honestly, most of the team got the message. Outside of Edmundson getting walked on a 1-on-2, making a bad pinch leading to a 3-on-1 and missing a pass leaving a sniper alone in the slot, we didn't give up much.

If a healthy Pesce took Edmundson's minutes tonight, we'd still be playing.

I'm not excited about Ned and/or Forsberg, but they weren't the problem tonight. For the most part, Edmundson was.

I get what you’re saying, my issue is if you’re going to go all in, that should’ve included a goalie. As up and down as this team has been, it would’ve been wrong of management to base not acquiring a goalie based off of half a game with Ayers.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I get what you’re saying, my issue is if you’re going to go all in, that should’ve included a goalie. As up and down as this team has been, it would’ve been wrong of management to base not acquiring a goalie based off of half a game with Ayers.

But that's the whole point: they didn't Go All In.

Going All In is mortgaging future assets to win now, and that's exactly what they didn't do. They clearly gave up a range of non-critical assets to improve in key positions over the next two years.

I think they want to stay competitive this year, of course, which is why they also made a modest rental -- and had that rental been healthy, maybe we wouldn't have seen Edmondson taking a dump all over the ice tonight, which is probably why they *actually* lost.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
They did give up future assets for the now. Whether or not those assets are viewed as critical or not doesn’t change that. That part is opinion regardless. There’s nothing wrong with questioning the teams moves.

I like the Trocheck move, it was needed though the cost knocked me back a step initially. Not only obvious improvements from having a legit second center, and that he’s a righty. He’s a shooter. We absolutely need that. The Skjei deal will be the one we look at for a long time. We needed defenders. I don’t know that Skjei improves our defense, though he definitely fits the style that the Borg seems to want. I don’t always think our coach wants exactly the same thing as the Borg in terms of style.

I didn’t mind tonight. I’ve seen people under rate how hard it is to play the wrong side for many guys. Slavin doesn’t even look good doing it. Skjei was put in a bad spot on the first one. Edmunson not only got caught on the pinch, but he also misread the puck which is what led to the actual goal. I also have low expectations for Ned, and while it’s only his first game they were generally met. I’m hopeful he can settle in, because we clearly aren’t making the playoffs with five lefty D without better goaltending

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Your post is not a legitimate criticism. Your post is f*cking nonsense.

This team is young, good, and sometimes frustrating. Their goal differential is +26, which is only three less than the Caps who lead the division. They probably have a 40 goal scorer, a 30 goal scorer, and multiple 20 goal scorers this season. They lost 2 goaltenders and a top pairing defenseman literally one game ago, a game they won with a Zamboni driver in net. They lost a Norris candidate defenseman last month. And yet they went out and reloaded with two actual hockey trades at the deadline and a rental to boot. All this after we spent a decade paying for players with the loose change that Karmanos found under his couch cushions and ultimately wondering whether we would even have a hockey team.

What the f*ck do you want? The best players on this team are 22 and 19 years old. Maybe we miss the playoffs this year, so what?

And yes, I guess some people are comparing them to the Patriots. Those people, like you, are also being f*cking ridiculous, except on the other extreme.

This ^ :clap:
It was one of those games. Perhaps the boys were a little too jacked up for this gameafter an epic win in Toronto. Lots of buzz in Canada around the 'Canes. Believe me most of the talk is always about the Leafs or other Canadian teams. Most of us on HFBoards have played competitive sports at high levels. Emotions play a big factor in what manifests on the ice.RBA likes the new players. It's going to take a few games for everyone to adjust to theirnew environment. The shots on goal were 41-16!! Look for a big win this Friday. The boys will be settled down and more focused on the task at hand. Trocheck and Skjei will be rested after a whirlwind of changes in their lives. 'Canes will make the Play-Offs!!

Reactions: SvechneJerk

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Recap: Canes Fall to Stars

Aho, Svechnikov extend point streaks in 4-1 loss

by Michael Smith @MSmithCanes / CarolinaHurricanes.com
The Canes were again bested by the Stars, 4-1, in Raleigh on Tuesday night, but the sentiment in the locker room after the game was much more positive, despite the result.
"I thought we put a lot of shots on net and played our game for the most part," Jordan Staal said.
"I was not disappointed with that game," head coach Rod Brind'Amour said. "I like the way we came and stuck to our game plan. We just couldn't find a way to get one in."
"They protect the lead well, but we still generated quite a few opportunities," Brind'Amour said. "We just had a few too many grade-A mistakes."
For Vincent Trocheck and Brady Skjei, what Brind'Amour wanted to see was simple.
"They're going to play a lot of minutes. I'll maybe play them a little bit all over and in all situations. It's tough when you get new guys in and throw a lot at them. Whole new systems and everything," Brind'Amour said after the morning skate. "At the end of the day, they just have to trust their instincts and go play."
Recap: Canes Fall to Stars

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Rod is Faulking Slavin at this point with the PP1. Slavin adds nothing to a PP unit. Replace him with literally anybody else. Just try something different.

I'm a huge fan Slavin but it is painful to watch. Everyone on the other team can take a breather when Slavin gets the puck.

Vatanen is soon back atleast

Trocheck is going to fit in with this team very well

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
4 goals on 16 effing shots is why we lost this game. I don't care what "quality" they were.

Give me a break. Ned Sucked. 4 goals on 16 shots is not sustainable in the NHL. Why we draft a goalie of his size is beyond me. A bigger goalie would have stopped half that crap by just being in the damn way.

We have a huge, glaring issue.
Mrazek is not a number 1.
Reimer is not a number 1.
Ned is not an NHL goalie.

Unless this team gets a good, solid, NHL quality, goaltender pays for him, and keeps him, they will never see a cup final, and likely will never be better than a WC team.

Reactions: zman77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->