Soccer Prospect Discussion Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Match went to penalties, but in the end Dortmund eliminated PSG (of Housni, Gharbi and Mbappe), who had been free scoring until now, with the first two players mentioned had scored 9 and 6 goals respectively.

Gharbi was the more disappointing one for me, seemed slow and weak at times, and not so clever with the ball. Surprisingly bad first touch too. Although Gharbi and Housni did contribute in the build-up of the PSG goal (which was a failed shot in itself) . They showed some promising movement too and ability to find each other. Housni seemed willing to put in pressing work for his team but eventually missed the deciding penalty with a poor effort, being the tenth and last PK taker (everyone else had scored before him).

Mbappe was largely a passenger in the midfield, often static and didn't influence the proceedings much at all. Couldn't spot any outstanding qualities from him. Some of the contrasts of the PSG team were funny, they had big 190+ cm tall CBs and 140 cm full backs who looked like 14 year olds (one of them was sent off).

Bamba looked like the most lively Dortmund offensive player, scoring their goal after a good run.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Match went to penalties, but in the end Dortmund eliminated PSG (of Housni, Gharbi and Mbappe), who had been free scoring until now, with the first two players mentioned had scored 9 and 6 goals respectively.

Gharbi was the more disappointing one for me, seemed slow and weak at times, and not so clever with the ball. Surprisingly bad first touch too. Although Gharbi and Housni did contribute in the build-up of the PSG goal (which was a failed shot in itself) . They showed some promising movement too and ability to find each other. Housni seemed willing to put in pressing work for his team but eventually missed the deciding penalty with a poor effort, being the tenth and last PK taker (everyone else had scored before him).

Mbappe was largely a passenger in the midfield, often static and didn't influence the proceedings much at all. Couldn't spot any outstanding qualities from him. Some of the contrasts of the PSG team were funny, they had big 190+ cm tall CBs and 140 cm full backs who looked like 14 year olds (one of them was sent off).

Bamba looked like the most lively Dortmund offensive player, scoring their goal after a good run.
Hajduk Split also knocked off Man City, which is kinda surprising, although Hajduk tends to churn out talent

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
could be, but he's pretty amazing for his age group

his playing style is a throwback argentine 10 like Aimar

hope he turns into a star

Also, 15y old Kendry Paez is amazing and did some damage against Brazil. Unfortunately he signed with Chelsea.

We‘ve already discussed these guys in the other unstickied thread. Just saying this as a public service announcement about the other thread.

Yeah, signing with Chelsea is pretty much why I couldn’t land Paez in the keeper league I’m in. Had he not signed with Chelsea he’d have likely been more under the radar.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
We‘ve already discussed these guys in the other unstickied thread. Just saying this as a public service announcement about the other thread.

Yeah, signing with Chelsea is pretty much why I couldn’t land Paez in the keeper league I’m in. Had he not signed with Chelsea he’d have likely been more under the radar.
If we had a mod this wouldn’t be an issue. @Evilo cant post here. Where’s @Live in the Now when you need him?

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Wow. From what I’ve seen/read he’s definitely Arsenal‘s big gem in their cantera.
He is. They're trying really hard to keep him but it seems like his parents are advising him to go for the $$$.

At least they tied down their 2nd gem.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Getting Nwaneri to go along with Omari Hutchinson would be a fun double coup.

You guys can have a title, but we get your prospects :)
I get that money speaks, but I can't imagine looking at a team that spent 600M in one year, has 40 senior players, and has fired two managers already this season and thinking oh yeah that's where I should go to move my career forward.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I get that money speaks, but I can't imagine looking at a team that spent 600M in one year, has 40 senior players, and has fired two managers already this season and thinking oh yeah that's where I should go to move my career forward.
Cobham's track record lately is amazing at producing professionals. The question of how you "move your career forward" isn't limited to whether or not you break out at that club - it's also whether or not you have a pathway to develop into a high level player capable of playing in a top division for the long-term.

If I'm a senior player, the stuff about 40 senior players and manager overhaul and spending makes me worried. But if I'm 16? I'm putting far more weight on Cobham and the experiences of guys who didn't make it at Chelsea but are still high level pros.

Reactions: luiginb

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Cobham's track record lately is amazing at producing professionals. The question of how you "move your career forward" isn't limited to whether or not you break out at that club - it's also whether or not you have a pathway to develop into a high level player capable of playing in a top division for the long-term.

If I'm a senior player, the stuff about 40 senior players and manager overhaul and spending makes me worried. But if I'm 16? I'm putting far more weight on Cobham and the experiences of guys who didn't make it at Chelsea but are still high level pros.
Sure, but that's not any different than Hale End. If anything, Hale End has produced higher level pros in the recent past.

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Sure, but that's not any different than Hale End. If anything, Hale End has produced higher level pros in the recent past.
I just don't think this is true...

If my counting is right, recent grads playing in top divisions looks like this:

Chelsea: James, Mount, Gallagher, Abraham, Broja, Chalobah, Livramento, Guehi, Tomori, Lamptey, Solanke, RLC, Christensen (joined Cobham younger than Nwaneri would), Gilmour (ditto), CHO, Colwill, Boga. All playing in a top division. The oldest player there is Loftus-Cheek ('96).

Arsenal: Saka, ESR, Nelson, Nketiah (who is a 50/50 Chelsea split IMO), Bennacer, Malen, Iwobi, Willock, Balogun, DaSilva. Oldest player there is Alex Iwobi ('96).

Saka and James are a wash at the top, and beyond that Chelsea has the advantage both in quality and quantity IMO.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

Chelsea: James, Mount, Gallagher, Abraham, Broja, Chalobah, Livramento, Guehi, Tomori, Lamptey, Solanke, RLC, Christensen (joined Cobham younger than Nwaneri would), Gilmour (ditto), CHO, Colwill, Boga. All playing in a top division. The oldest player there is Loftus-Cheek ('96).

Arsenal: Saka, ESR, Nelson, Nketiah (who is a 50/50 Chelsea split IMO), Bennacer, Malen, Iwobi, Willock, Balogun, DaSilva. Oldest player there is Alex Iwobi ('96).

Saka and James are a wash at the top, and beyond that Chelsea has the advantage both in quality and quantity IMO.
Strongly disagree that Saka and James are a wash. But regardless, by cutting where you did, you excluded Bellerin, Gnabry, Emi, and others. You also flat out excluded AMN, Greenwood, JRA, Mavropanos, Osei-Tutu, Hutchinson, Anthony, and I’m sure I’m missing some.

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Strongly disagree that Saka and James are a wash. But regardless, by cutting where you did, you excluded Bellerin, Gnabry, Emi, and others. You also flat out excluded AMN, Greenwood, JRA, Mavropanos, Osei-Tutu, Hutchinson, Anthony, and I’m sure I’m missing some.
Martinez is 30, if that’s recent past then words have no meaning.

And again, even with those misses (oversights), they don’t change the scales whatsoever for me. Like, not even a little bit.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015

Musah, Stephy Mavididi, Sam Greenwood, Nathan Tella.

And it's easier to have an advantage in both if you have hundreds of youth players being trafficked out throughout Europe.

If Nwaneri is going to Chelsea it would strictly be about $$$. Unless players think it's a great career path to be loaned out a dozen times and then get sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad