OT: Soccer/Football Thread Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Finally got a chance to watch the game after a day up in Princeton.. a few thoughts:

The red on Son is maybe a little harsh. That's a bullshit antic, and I'm not mad that he got a red, but I wouldnt have been outraged if he hadnt.

Dele alli continues his reign as the least likeable player in the PL for me.

What the f*** is the Spurs keeper thinking?

Despicable behavior from the in arena fans calling Rudiger a monkey. It's such a beautiful game and yet some seem intent on ruining it.

All around good game from Chelsea. Few chances that may have changed the outcome.. Kane missed one early and Son missed one as well, but otherwise a solid defensive effort. Likewise, Abraham should've shot instead of attempting that pass to Mount on a break.

Reactions: BigToe

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I wish they had VAR back when Evans kung fu kicked Drogba and Drogba got a yellow card.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Frank Lampard hits out at Jose Mourinho - ProSoccerTalk | NBC Sports

Lampard then appeared to have a dig at Mourinho about the likes of Kevin De Bruyne and Mohamed Salah being sold while he was manager at Chelsea and youngsters not being given a chance.

“If we are not patient and [don’t] stick with the players we might be in a situation [like] before where absolutely top world-class players at this minute have been at Chelsea when they were 20 or 21 and managers maybe did not stick with them so much then,” Lampard said. “I am in a position where I will stick with them.”

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Lampard seems a bit ignorant of recent history; Chelsea sold/parted ways with both KBD and Salah in 2014.
They then went and won the prem twice in the next 3 seasons after...

No, I believe he was taking a shot at Mourinho, who was the one who authorized the sale/loan of both. Technically I think Salah was sold under Conte, but it was put in motion while Jose was still around. Mayne it was KDB, I always get the two ex chelsea future superstars confused, for obvious reasons.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
understood
just seems a bit tone-deaf to me, whatever the decision was, whomever made it, it lead to 2 titles shortly thereafter. Chelsea were the kings of buying scores of young players back then, loaning a ton of them out. If the manager is forced at that point to keep his youth and bleed them w/ Chelsea's first teamers, they're not enjoying the same trophies.

Reactions: Starat327

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
understood
just seems a bit tone-deaf to me, whatever the decision was, whomever made it, it lead to 2 titles shortly thereafter. Chelsea were the kings of buying scores of young players back then, loaning a ton of them out. If the manager is forced at that point to keep his youth and bleed them w/ Chelsea's first teamers, they're not enjoying the same trophies.

Yup. To be fair, Lampard's comments were in response to Jose making a comment about Lampard and Chelsea's year. I dont remember the exact comment, but it was, for a lack of better terms, Jose being Jose.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Boxing day had passed and Liverpool is up 13 points...is this really the year?

It's been liverpool's year since they destroyed city. Leicester was never actually making a title run. Much like the year they won the title, they're benefitting from all of the 'big' clubs having down years. Dont get me wrong - They're playing good football, but yesterday's game shows just how far they have to go.

Reactions: trostol

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Liverpool's collective run at this point [call it about 18 months; nearly perfect last season, Champs League win, basically perfect this season] rivals anything I've ever seen in the Prem & is more impressive than Arsenal's Invincibles by a lot.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Liverpool's collective run at this point [call it about 18 months; nearly perfect last season, Champs League win, basically perfect this season] rivals anything I've ever seen in the Prem & is more impressive than Arsenal's Invincibles by a lot.

I've long believed that Klopp is the best manager in football. What he does with relatively unknown players is exceptional. What are there, two players on the squad that cost over 40 million?

Last edited:
Reactions: kudymen and mmvvpp

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Something I just thought about watching the Newcastle - Everton game: with everything we know about concussions and head injuries...why is the wall still a thing for free kicks? They just seem like concussions waiting to happen.

I'm not really sure how you'd functionally replace them though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad