OT: Soccer/Football Thread Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I’m ambivalent to the sacking
Poch inherited a good team; Kane, Ericksson, Lloris, Winks, Rose, Walker, Vertonghen and a few notable others were already there. He coached them up, wasn’t allowed to buy more than a few here and there, and then they lucked their way to the CL final. That team, as it was a couple of seasons ago, had real potential. They needed to buy and buy big. They couldn’t, or wouldn’t and kept to their ceiling, which was about 3rd/4th in the prem. Aside from the CL run last year, which was fools gold, they became stagnant and got too old too quick at crucial positions (both centre backs). Poch and Levy became oil and water, this was inevitable. Cheers to him. Just say no to Mou.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Not shocking

Normally I'd be ok with a rival getting worse, but for the sake of the game, I hope this doesnt happen. I dont like Spurs but they can be such an explosive team. I would hate to see that team shackled.

Also, Levy isnt going to spend enough money to keep Mourinho happy. This seems like a bad fit. I say this as someone who is wildly appreciative of what Mourinho has done for my club, too. I never really wanted him let go [advocated for clearing out Hazard earlier, dude seems like a locker room cancer], but his take on the game is just so dated. He is the old hockey guy of football coaches.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Ole Gunnar is keeping it warm for Poch now.
Well...Special One it is. At least it will be good theater.
As for the footy, we'll see.

Reactions: Jack Straw

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Ole Gunnar is keeping it warm for Poch now.
Well...Special One it is. At least it will be good theater.
As for the footy, we'll see.

I guess my immediate reaction is that at least short term, it couldn't be much worse than it's been. So there's that. And his pressers are always entertaining.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Well, they didn't ask me and I'm still along for the ride. There was a moment in time that I was optimistic about Dave Hakstol being the Flyers coach, gave that fella a chance. Can give Jose a chance as well. I still feel dead inside, unrelated to this soccer thing, but it kinda fits.

This feels like a desperate mistake that should've been resolved under harsh lights following the CL loss. Not 3 months into the EPL season.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
@Jack Straw
This podcast summarizes almost everything I'm feeling. Jose spent more in a transfer window than Poch did his entire tenure. Jose makes more than every player on the squad.

This is such a departure from what is the norm, in every way possible. Spending culture, play style, expectations, fan interaction.
Imagine if the Flyers went and became the Senators. Or the Flyers hired peak Guy Bouchard (stint with the TBL).

#FML

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
@Jack Straw
This podcast summarizes almost everything I'm feeling. Jose spent more in a transfer window than Poch did his entire tenure. Jose makes more than every player on the squad.

This is such a departure from what is the norm, in every way possible. Spending culture, play style, expectations, fan interaction.
Imagine if the Flyers went and became the Senators. Or the Flyers hired peak Guy Bouchard (stint with the TBL).

#FML

Yeah. I mean, if it works- great. But it impossible to be excited about it and pretty easy to be worried if not downright scared.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Ooof.

IMG_20191120_201310.jpg

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Mourinho's 1st PC:

Those pillows! Great big fluffy pillows!

More seriously, no one can say he's not an intelligent, interesting guy. Will be interesting to see if he can get more out of the players than Poch was able to in the end. I guess I'm cautiously optimistic (because I have to be).

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Good: 3-0

Bad: 3-2

It's probably somewhat irrational, but Aurier irks me to no end. He's OK offensively, but drives me nuts defensively and just seems to carry himself like he thinks he's God's gift to Earth.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Good: 3-0

Bad: 3-2

It's probably somewhat irrational, but Aurier irks me to no end. He's OK offensively, but drives me nuts defensively and just seems to carry himself like he thinks he's God's gift to Earth.

Mou got the full Spurs experience in his first game- the good, the bad, and the ugly. He knows the job that’s ahead of him, if he didn’t already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad