OT: Soccer/Football Thread Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Interesting to see what werner will do at chelsea... I really don't know how his game will translate to the premier league.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Wow. That seems a little off. Why would Barca do that?

They have been after Pjanic for a while.
Arthur had a very mediocre season... if you believe some segments of the Catalan press.
They have de Jong who is younger in basically same spot.
And need to adhere to FFP rules...

Is probably the answer.

There are also rumours Messi does not like Arthur. And that he is not as "committed" as he could be...

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
They have been after Pjanic for a while.
Arthur had a very mediocre season... if you believe some segments of the Catalan press.
They have de Jong who is younger in basically same spot.
And need to adhere to FFP rules...

Is probably the answer.

There are also rumours Messi does not like Arthur. And that he is not as "committed" as he could be...
Ah ok. Makes sense.

Reactions: Appleyard

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Reading BBC's summary of Liverpool's win at home vs Palace: Crystal Palace did not have a single touch in Liverpool's box - it's the first time any side has failed to do that in a Premier League match since Opta has been collecting data for this statistic. :laugh:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Liverpool 2 points away....it's almost unreal

I wish I could go to Belgium for next match.

One of my best friends is a Liverpool fan. Would be awesome to see how much it meant to him... even as a City fan.

That 2012 Prem was so cathartic for me I broke my laptop and table by accident and sat and cried on the floor for ten minutes... and then got blind drunk with all my friends. (was living in the Netherlands at the time) I actually get emotional thinking about it. I doubt even the Flyers winning the cup would mean more... even though since ~7 years old have been a bigger Flyers fan than city.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City

One of my best friends is a Liverpool fan. Would be awesome to see how much it meant to him... even as a City fan.

That 2012 Prem was so cathartic for me I broke my laptop and table by accident and sat and cried on the floor for ten minutes... and then got blind drunk with all my friends. (was living in the Netherlands at the time) I actually get emotional thinking about it. I doubt even the Flyers winning the cup would mean more... even though since ~7 years old have been a bigger Flyers fan than city.
I have no club in the EPL, but that 2012 finish may have been the craziest end to a season in sports history.

The game was on in the morning for me in BC and I was double screening the Manchester matches. When Aguero scored, I screamed out something (cannot remember, but probably multiple profanities) that woke up my wife who thought we were being robbed. :laugh:

Definitely a defining memory as a neutral supporter.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I have no club in the EPL, but that 2012 finish may have been the craziest end to a season in sports history.

The game was on in the morning for me in BC and I was double screening the Manchester matches. When Aguero scored, I screamed out something (cannot remember, but probably multiple profanities) that woke up my wife who thought we were being robbed. :laugh:

The way it happened made up for years of sitting at Maine Road getting soaked while we lost, our most talented players had career ending injured (Lake), died (Foe), were sold against their wishes (Brown, Flitcroft, Wright-Phillips) or wasted their talent (Kinkladze), managers and the board dwindled away a great youth system and players found success elsewhere, and had all the worst luck on earth. (relegated 2x... once on the "best" own goal you will ever see and once because the manager could not do maths.)

It was amazing.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

I could never repeat the things I said to anyone - I'd be institutionalized. I'm glad I was alone. It was so ****ing great to FINALLY see karma take an active hand. As much as they annoy me at times, I'll never deep down truly hate City - the "enemy of my enemy" thing is just too strong, and it can't be healthy to hate something as much as I hate our mutual enemy. I'd say it's impossible to hate something that much if it weren't happening inside me every day.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

Congrats on the double screening. You should try four screening sometime.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK

I cared not for any of the teams involved but yeh, that’s a top 5 all time moment in football. Not sure what else tops it to that matter, except Ben Osborn’s 94th minute winner at Derby, of course.

Reactions: Appleyard

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
This is a team that has lost only 2 league games over their last 60-something matches. Anything can obviously happen in sport, but I don’t know how logical it is to write them off.

it’s not so much them becoming weaker. It’ll be the huge over reaction City have now. They’ll go out and buy Mbappe this summer or something ridiculous.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
it’s not so much them becoming weaker. It’ll be the huge over reaction City have now. They’ll go out and buy Mbappe this summer or something ridiculous.

We should frankly just:

Pretty much hold PAT.

Replace Sane with Bailey.
Give Foden Silva's spot in the team.

Actually sign a good CB like Ake, Upamecano or Koulibaly.

No need to do anything else. Yet. And should not really "need" to given age of team. Fernandinho and Aguero are only guys who will "need" replacing in the next ~2-3 years.

The midfield and forwards were as good/better than Liverpool this year by every measurable really.

But the defence is class, and Allison was a top 5 goalie in Prem while Ederson was mediocre.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Just caught up on scores since my dvr scheduling didn't work.

@Appleyard - can you give me a run down of the game? Did we get lucky or was it fairly even (given your i jury hit squad)?

@Captain Dave Poulin - you're welcome. Chelsea continues their streak of awarding titles to teams.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Just caught up on scores since my dvr scheduling didn't work.

@Appleyard - can you give me a run down of the game? Did we get lucky or was it fairly even (given your i jury hit squad)?

@Captain Dave Poulin - you're welcome. Chelsea continues their streak of awarding titles to teams.

City were better in the first half... and generally controlled play.

But after De Bruyne scored it was all Chelsea on counters and quick plays out of midfield barring a couple of great chances Sterling created.

Citys defence was awful and Chelsea had one cleared off the line by Walker.

Mendy and Gundogan had awful games and combined on the first goal against in comedy fashion. Worst game for both in City shirts. I keyed in on Gundogan in second half and he was on a different planet... isolating his own players as not going to create passing lanes or options... head looked in clouds.

Reactions: Starat327

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
City were better in the first half... and generally controlled play.

But after De Bruyne scored it was all Chelsea on counters and quick plays out of midfield barring a couple of great chances Sterling created.

Citys defence was awful and Chelsea had one cleared off the line by Walker.

Mendy and Gundogan had awful games and combined on the first goal against in comedy fashion. Worst game for both in City shirts. I keyed in on Gundogan in second half and he was on a different planet... isolating his own players as not going to create passing lanes or options... head looked in clouds.

Thanks.

How clear was the penalty, in your opinion? Looking it up myself now.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Well... the left side of defence was awful.

Laporte and Walker were good.

Story of the season. Having only two above average Premier League defenders at most for 90% of the year. Love Fernandinho but he is not a CB... and he is our 2nd best CB even though he is not one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad