OT: Soccer/Football Thread Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
So after dodgy companies bought Bury (a club with 134 years of history) and ran it into the ground while asset stripping (on purpose liquidating them in effect to make profit... as he has done with 43 other companies!)

Wigan go into administration four weeks after Hong Kong takeover

Wigan were bought 4 weeks ago... they had zero troubles until 2 years ago where a Hong Kong based company bought them, and 4 weeks ago sold them to a minority shareholder in the company... basically selling it to themselves in some ways when look into it.

There is pretty much no point to the EFL's "fit and proper person" tests.

would be a shame if the same happened to toon. Has that passed through yet or did that get held up?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
would be a shame if the same happened to toon. Has that passed through yet or did that get held up?

Not passed through yet. Thankfully the Prem is a "bit" better. I doubt the company that is in on Newcastle will run them into the ground though.

Just be a prestige and plaything for billionaires... like half the top Premier League clubs are... it would probably be a lesser version of what Sheikh Mansour does with City. Issue with the Newcastle takeover is mainly with all the human rights violations haha... since they would in part be basically owned by the Saudi state.

Reactions: Starat327

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Not passed through yet. Thankfully the Prem is a "bit" better. I doubt the company that is in on Newcastle will run them into the ground though.

Just be a prestige and plaything for billionaires... like half the top Premier League clubs are... it would probably be a lesser version of what Sheikh Mansour does with City. Issue with the Newcastle takeover is mainly with all the human rights violations haha... since they would in part be basically owned by the Saudi state.

Yeah, generally speaking when its a Middle Eastern takeover they are doing it for fun, not 'business' reasons (not that running a club cant be profitable). Its amazing to me how they can finance all this stuff. I cant even imagine having 100M euros, let alone using that to pay for the rights to a player. Crazy stuff.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Yeah, generally speaking when its a Middle Eastern takeover they are doing it for fun, not 'business' reasons (not that running a club cant be profitable). Its amazing to me how they can finance all this stuff. I cant even imagine having 100M euros, let alone using that to pay for the rights to a player. Crazy stuff.

I mean, most of it is basically imaginary money anyway. :laugh: Transfer fees are not really "real" in many cases. They are just f***ing around to make sure they fulfill FFP rules. Kind of comical really.

I hope if Newcastle are taken over they are ran like City have been. Big investment in club youth structure following Barca's lead that should see them become very sustainable long-term.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I mean, most of it is basically imaginary money anyway. :laugh: Transfer fees are not really "real" in many cases. They are just f***ing around to make sure they fulfill FFP rules. Kind of comical really.

I hope if Newcastle are taken over they are ran like City have been. Big investment in club youth structure following Barca's lead that should see them become very sustainable long-term.

Yeah, as much as i love my team being in the 'bubble' at the top - i'd love for the top teams to rotate a little more and see some fresh blood up there and mix things up. The european spots are mostly determined already before the season even starts - although it has gotten better in the last few years - which ruins some of the fun for me.

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
Yeah, as much as i love my team being in the 'bubble' at the top - i'd love for the top teams to rotate a little more and see some fresh blood up there and mix things up. The european spots are mostly determined already before the season even starts - although it has gotten better in the last few years - which ruins some of the fun for me.
Your lips to Everton’s ears.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Tbh it has been like that for a long time...

Since 1930 (90 seasons):

Man United (18x), Liverpool (15x), Arsenal (13x), Chelsea (6x), Everton (6x) and Man City (5x) have won 72/90 titles! And generally for ~70/90 of those years all those 6 clubs have been top ~15 in the league.

Leeds (3x)
Wolves (3x)
Tottenham (2x)
Derby (2x)
Potsmouth (2x)
Aston Villa (1x)
Leicester (1x)
Burnley (1x)
Ipswich (1x)
Sunderland (1x)
Notts Forrest (1x)

are the only other winners.

It would be nice to see Leeds, Newcastle, Aston Villa, Nottingham Forrest and the Sheffield teams being back up there though and competing in the top 10 consistently. Big clubs with a lot of history.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Since 1930 (90 seasons):

Man United (18x), Liverpool (15x), Arsenal (13x), Chelsea (6x), Everton (6x) and Man City (5x) have won 72/90 titles! And generally for ~70/90 of those years all those 6 clubs have been top ~15 in the league.

Leeds (3x)
Wolves (3x)
Tottenham (2x)
Derby (2x)
Potsmouth (2x)
Aston Villa (1x)
Leicester (1x)
Burnley (1x)
Ipswich (1x)
Sunderland (1x)
Notts Forrest (1x)

It would be nice to see Leeds, Newcastle, Aston Villa, Nottingham Forrest and the Sheffield teams being back up there though and competing in the top 10 consistently. Big clubs with a lot of history.

I would love to see a Nottingham or like.. QPR make a strong push. Wolves is a story that i am LOVING right now, as well.

Reactions: Appleyard

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I would love to see a Nottingham or like.. QPR make a strong push. Wolves is a story that i am LOVING right now, as well.

Yeh.

When I used to play football manager I always managed:

Sheffield United
Leeds
Notts Forrest

Those are massive clubs with big fanbases that are historic... but for a long time languished/are languishing outside the prem.

(plus on FM/EHM I hate playing with Man City or the Flyers. It is not as fun for some reason.)

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Yeh.

When I used to play football manager I always managed:

Sheffield United
Leeds
Notts Forrest

Those are massive clubs with big fanbases that are historic... but for a long time languished/are languishing outside the prem.

(plus on FM/EHM I hate playing with Man City or the Flyers. It is not as fun for some reason.)

Ive never played - I would get sucked in and never be heard from again. Same with like EHM.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Ive never played - I would get sucked in and never be heard from again. Same with like EHM.

I still try to play ~1 month of EHM a year and not get sucked in. Playing ~3 seasons or so is actually really helpful for just knowing players around the league, in college hockey, CHL. Quick way of doing it as well.

Ofc does not replace watching guys by a longshot, but adds knowledge of what teams guys are on, approx level of player etc.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I still try to play ~1 month of EHM a year and not get sucked in. Playing ~3 seasons or so is actually really helpful for just knowing players around the league, in college hockey, CHL. Quick way of doing it as well.

Ofc does not replace watching guys by a longshot, but adds knowledge of what teams guys are on, approx level of player etc.

Yeah, i think ou mentioned here that someone uses/used that as a base for their scouting system, so that end of it makes total sense, especially for someone 'in the business'. The concept is immensely appealing to me, i just know that I would get addicted, so i stay away, haha!

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
giphy.gif

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
Yeah, we played poorly against West Ham earlier this year too. I feel like were the Flyers of the recent years - can beat top teams, but we play down to lower competition. Hopefully Lamps corrects this moving forward though.
I’m not up to date on Chelsea beyond viewing them here and there, but if today is any indication, there are some real vulnerabilities along the back line, but plenty of attacking menace.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I’m not up to date on Chelsea beyond viewing them here and there, but if today is any indication, there are some real vulnerabilities along the back line, but plenty of attacking menace.

Azpilicueta hasnt looked great today either, and rudiger is good, but not great. Reece James should have the RB position locked down next year, and hes an absolute beast. We need at least a CB, and preferably a LB, but the team seems content to prioritize the LB, even though Alonso and Emerson are serviceable. Christensen and Zouma arent - not for this level of team, and this style of play, anyway, and I dont think Tomori is there yet.

Reactions: FlyerFaithful17

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019

Since 1930 (90 seasons):

Leeds (3x)
Wolves (3x)
Tottenham (2x)
Derby (2x)
Potsmouth (2x)
Aston Villa (1x)
Leicester (1x)
Burnley (1x)
Ipswich (1x)
Sunderland (1x)
Notts Forrest (1x)

How about Sunderland falling off the face of the earth? Unbelievable how low they dropped, especially with the stadium and fanbase they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad