Soccer/Football Thread Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Caballero should have been on in the 60th minute. Any keeper who pulls out of a 1:1 doesn't deserve to play at this level.

I dont even care if Mendy is still hurt. Send Kepa down to play with the u23s.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
European Premier League: Liverpool and Manchester United in talks for FIFA-backed tournament

Lol, all you English teams that want your guaranteed births in the big tournament so you make your own tournament.

Sky News has learned that financiers are assembling a $6 billion (£4.6 billion) funding package to assist the creation of what could become known as the European Premier League.

More than a dozen teams from England, France, Germany, Italy and Spain are in negotiations about becoming founder members of the competition.
As many as five English clubs could sign up to join it, with a provisional start date said to have been discussed as early as 2022.
Sources said that FIFA, football's world governing body, had been involved in developing the new format, which is expected to comprise up to 18 teams, and involve fixtures played during the regular European season.

The top-placed teams in the league would then play in a knockout format to conclude the tournament, with prize money for the winners expected to be worth hundreds of millions of pounds each year.

European Premier League - key points

• Liverpool, Man Utd in talks about joining new FIFA-backed tournament; Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, Tottenham reportedly also approached
  • As many as five English clubs could sign up
  • More than a dozen teams from England, France, Germany, Italy and Spain said to be in negotiations
  • Format would comprise up to 18 teams, with home and away fixtures played during regular European season
  • Top-placed teams would play in knockout tournament
  • Provisional start date as early as 2022
  • Wall Street bank JP Morgan in talks to provide £4.6bn in funding
  • Tournament could usurp Champions League

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
If your league can be won by the same team 7 years in a row - its not exactly pointing to a super competitive league. Im not saying the teams are all terrible like Ligue 1 - but the competition isnt exactly spectacular.
See my post above.

Don’t make me post the Schefter tweet.

Also, it’s nine straight. Put some respect on our name.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
See my post above.

Don’t make me post the Schefter tweet.

Also, it’s nine straight. Put some respect on our name.

Theres been what, 2 back to back winners in the PL in the last 15 years?. It is easily the most competitive league in Europe. Ligue 1 is a joke. Serie A and Bundesliga get dominated by one, or maybe two teams on occasion. Serie A appears to be a little more competitive last year and this year, but before that? Not a chance. La Liga is starting to become competitive-ish mostly because Madrid and Barcelona have so terribly botched their recruiting. EPL has had 5 different winners over the last 10 years. Serie A - 2.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Theres been what, 2 back to back winners in the PL in the last 15 years?. It is easily the most competitive league in Europe. Ligue 1 is a joke. Serie A and Bundesliga get dominated by one, or maybe two teams on occasion. Serie A appears to be a little more competitive last year and this year, but before that? Not a chance. La Liga is starting to become competitive-ish mostly because Madrid and Barcelona have so terribly botched their recruiting. EPL has had 5 different winners over the last 10 years. Serie A - 2.
tenor.gif

I didn't say that the EPL wasn't competitive nor that Serie A is anything more than a victory lap for The Old Lady in recent years. It's the best league in the world by far.

I was just simply pointing out that the EPL looks to be taking their ball and going home to a tournament that would benefit them more which is hard to argue if this does replace the Champions League in some capacity.

I don't know how much different it would be than the International Champions Cup that they do in the US where the teams play a fraction of their starting XI. It'll take a lot, IMO.

Reactions: Starat327

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
tenor.gif

I didn't say that the EPL wasn't competitive nor that Serie A is anything more than a victory lap for The Old Lady in recent years. It's the best league in the world by far.

I was just simply pointing out that the EPL looks to be taking their ball and going home to a tournament that would benefit them more which is hard to argue if this does replace the Champions League in some capacity.

I don't know how much different it would be than the International Champions Cup that they do in the US where the teams play a fraction of their starting XI. It'll take a lot, IMO.

Damnit HC, why are you like this?!?!

I may have misinterpreted your "were talking about your league" comment as a "your league is the non competitive league", and if so -- yeah thats my bad, lol.

And yeah, theres been talk about this "european super league" in the past, and while this one is mostly EPL led, i believe the iterations in the past were more about the big clubs from each of the 'major' leagues wanting to get out of the UEFA/FIFA money grab and pocket the cash on their own. I'm not nearly keen enough to understand how the fiunancial ramifications would work or who covers what, etc. But I believe the big draw in the past has been because the governing bodies siphon so much of the money off the top. Winning a couple hundred million euros isnt enough, I guess.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Damnit HC, why are you like this?!?!

I may have misinterpreted your "were talking about your league" comment as a "your league is the non competitive league", and if so -- yeah thats my bad, lol.

And yeah, theres been talk about this "european super league" in the past, and while this one is mostly EPL led, i believe the iterations in the past were more about the big clubs from each of the 'major' leagues wanting to get out of the UEFA/FIFA money grab and pocket the cash on their own. I'm not nearly keen enough to understand how the fiunancial ramifications would work or who covers what, etc. But I believe the big draw in the past has been because the governing bodies siphon so much of the money off the top. Winning a couple hundred million euros isnt enough, I guess.

I was trying to say "woah, let's focus on you and not make this about me."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad