Soccer/Football Thread Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
Its been a dumpster fire for a while here in the states. I guess were just a little more accustomed to it. Peacock has added a new set of fun twists, but they arent too much different from before. At least all the CL games are on one channel now.

I’ve been watching the games on the Latino channels.. Univision and TUDN. They are showing games that nbc and cbs make you stream with the additional service

Reactions: Starat327

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
One is getting sacked in the morning.

United are an embarrassment right now. Three of the best strikers in the Premier league, World class attacking midfielder, no way to get the ball to them.

This is what happens when Woodward doesn't sign anyone

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
One is getting sacked in the morning.

United are an embarrassment right now. Three of the best strikers in the Premier league, World class attacking midfielder, no way to get the ball to them.

This is what happens when Woodward doesn't sign anyone

As an outsider I think part of the problem is that United fans grossly overrate their players.

By their lofty standards it’s just abject mediocrity in every position from top to bottom and the few that are legitimately excellent don’t care.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
That’s the worst VAR call I’ve seen so far.

Maguire got hammered by Pickford in another horrendous challenge in the united game.

Michael Oliver didn't see it as a penalty, even though everyone else in the world did.

Reactions: BigToe

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Maguire got hammered by Pickford in another horrendous challenge in the united game.

Michael Oliver didn't see it as a penalty, even though everyone else in the world did.
Yea I saw that as well. The offside call on Bamford is bad for the sport though.

Reactions: BrokenStix

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Dont understand Peps obsession with Rodri and Gundogan... especially together.

Neither in the same class as Wijnaldum for example.

Fernandinho is still better than both.

With Laporte, Dias and Ake shoring up the back line now I really think DM is worst spot vs rest of contenders... when Fernandinho is not playing.

And even still Wijnaldum, Keita, Ndidi, and Kante are better than him.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Agreed. VAR itself is not the problem.

It should be - like in cricket - to rectify clear and obvious mistakes. (they have "umpires call" if it was unclear either way.)

Ref should make a decision on field, and only overturned if clear.

As for offside... just go to if any body part is behind the line. Makes way more sense, even as someone who played mainly defence when I played! Encourage positive play and goals. If a few inches makes a big difference between a goal and not the CB is in an awful position anyway.

Last edited:

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
It should be - like in cricket - to rectify clear and obvious mistakes. (they have "umpires call" if it was unclear either way.)

Ref should make a decision on field, and only overturned if clear.

As for offside... just go back to if any body part is behind the line. Makes way more sense, even as someone who played mainly defence when I played! Encourage positive play and goals. If a few inches makes a big difference between a goal and not the CB is in an awful position anyway.

I would borrow from some American rules. In general treat handballs like kicked balls in basketball. Just stop and give a side out. Unless it’s a clearly deliberate effort to block a shot on goal, then give the penalty.

For offsides, do it like hockey. If the feet are behind the line the player is onside. No more of this nonsense where it’s called offside because a player’s shoulder or arm was over the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad