Soccer/Football Thread Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I would borrow from some American rules. In general treat handballs like kicked balls in basketball. Just stop and give a side out. Unless it’s a clearly deliberate effort to block a shot on goal, then give the penalty.

For offsides, do it like hockey. If the feet are behind the line the player is onside. No more of this nonsense where it’s called offside because a player’s shoulder or arm was over the line.

Offside used to be like that. And is judged like that in other places. Yeh, technically it is anything but arms... but used to have leeway applied to it more.

van Nistelrooy would have scored half the goals he did with current interpretation of offside. He was king of keeping some part of his body behind the line.

Just to prove I am not exaggerating haha.

Reactions: Jack Straw

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Offside used to be like that. And is judged like that in other places. Yeh, technically it is anything but arms... but used to have leeway applied to it more.

van Nistelrooy would have scored half the goals he did with current interpretation of offside. He was king of keeping some part of his body behind the line.

Lol... he was my favorite player when I was first introduced to the PL.

Reactions: Appleyard

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Errrrmmmm...

Supporters' Shield

Why do the Union have a page up on the website saying they won the Supporters' Shield and congratulating the fans and player haha?

With a video...

A bit premature no? Haha.

If this was Europe it would be over the front pages everywhere.

I get prepping in advance but that should not be a live page.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016

When was it changed? I don't remember the previous rule? Its always been level or behind for me??

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Errrrmmmm...

Supporters' Shield

Why do the Union have a page up on the website saying they won the Supporters' Shield and congratulating the fans and player haha?

With a video...

A bit premature no? Haha.

If this was Europe it would be over the front pages everywhere.

I get prepping in advance but that should not be a live page.
I thought I read they weren't even giving out the supporter's shield this year....

Reactions: Appleyard

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
The Supporter's Shield Board (or whoever it is) changed their minds.
Gotcha. I didn't see that part. I saw last week they weren't going to give it this year and I thought it'd be the most Union thing for them to finish first in a year they weren't giving it.

Up 1-nil at half and Toronto down 2-nil. Looking good.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
The Supporters Shield board changed their mind because Toronto whined like a petulant toddler.

Happy to see the scores through the first half are holding up for Philly to take it home.

@Appleyard, I'm sure you already know, but no one in North America cares about the MLS. Hilarious that the Union posted that video already, though.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
no one in North America cares about the MLS

I think you're being a little harsh with that statement...

...but on the other hand, it's probably (at least) the 3rd most popular soccer league (behind PL and Liga MX), and anecdotally, I'll gladly throw on, say, Southampton - Newcastle, if there's nothing else on Saturday/Sunday morning, but there's no way in hell I'm watching Colorado - San Jose, or really any other MLS game, unless it's the championship game.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I think you're being a little harsh with that statement...

...but on the other hand, it's probably (at least) the 3rd most popular soccer league (behind PL and Liga MX), and anecdotally, I'll gladly throw on, say, Southampton - Newcastle, if there's nothing else on Saturday/Sunday morning, but there's no way in hell I'm watching Colorado - San Jose, or really any other MLS game, unless it's the championship game.
I have been a Whitecaps season ticket holder since 2011, so it's not like I am shitting on the league for no reason. :laugh:

Almost everyone in North America would choose a top European match of random clubs over two out of market MLS clubs. It's a league for fans of one team, not for fans of soccer in general.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
I have been a Whitecaps season ticket holder since 2011, so it's not like I am shitting on the league for no reason. :laugh:

Almost everyone in North America would choose a top European match of random clubs over two out of market MLS clubs. It's a league for fans of one team, not for fans of soccer in general.

Agree...it very much has the same problem the NHL has where people will watch their team, but not just a random game.

People will watch any NFL game and any NBA game with top players.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
JP Dellacamera "it has been the clubs philosophy. You play the kids and you live and die by that decision"

What are things you'll never hear Jim Jackson say for $1000

Reactions: Flyersfan1493

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
It's amazing how much of a change the Union organization has gone through over the past 3 years or so. The absolute mediocrity (at best) from roughly 2012-2016 was just boring. Not only were they bad, but they didn't even have any one particular player who was worth watching.

I think it's very easy to say that the Union are currently the best run organization for the Philadelphia teams (yes yes...Chester jokes), AINEC.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Never considered how rare this is, but the Whitecaps, being 2-0 up and the Galaxy down a man, are well on their way to finishing the season with zero draws.

No one else in the MLS has fewer than three draws this season.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019

Absolutely. If the Timbers weren’t in the MLS, I would have ZERO interest in the league.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Greg Clarke resigns as FA chairman after apologising for saying 'coloured footballers'

Is this a British thing? I apologize if I’m being naive but I never thought of this as derogatory.

Edit: just called my friend and she said it is almost like saying the n word. I apologize for my ignorance

Yeh, very offensive in the UK.

He said loads of other bullshit too including:

Being gay is a life choice.
Girls dont like being hit by the ball.
Asians would rather go into IT.

And that was IN a meeting with the government over racial abuse and discrimination online. Imagine what he spouts when he is not in a high level, recorded, meeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad