PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
Yeh, very offensive in the UK.

He said loads of other bullshit too including:

Being gay is a life choice.
Girls dont like being hit by the ball.
Asians would rather go into IT.

And that was IN a meeting with the government over racial abuse and discrimination online. Imagine what he spouts when he is not in a high level, recorded, meeting.

Wow... no kidding.

Reactions: Appleyard

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Biggest day in Scottish football in a long time.

Hope the lads can get drunk in celebration instead of drunk in sorrow in about 14 hours from now.

Alba gu bràth!

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Biggest day in Scottish football in a long time.

Hope the lads can get drunk in celebration instead of drunk in sorrow in about 14 hours from now.

Alba gu bràth!

Meala-naidheachd!

Happy for Scotland and all the Scots out there.

Been way too long.

Hopefully can be in Glasgow for one of the group games next year. Will be epic. (probably not the England one though... not sure I can keep up my fake Scottish accent to avoid getting stabbed for two hours... :laugh::help:)

Last edited:
Reactions: CanadianFlyer88

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Shhfhdhshhqjajjdhwhwhs!

Almost choked this shit away, but escape through penalties!

I can't believe they pulled it off. Interestingly enough, Covid keeping the stadium empty may have been a big benefit for Scotland.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
Shhfhdhshhqjajjdhwhwhs!

Almost choked this shit away, but escape through penalties!

I can't believe they pulled it off. Interestingly enough, Covid keeping the stadium empty may have been a big benefit for Scotland.

It is so hard to give up a goal that late and still hang on in OT.

Congrats!

Reactions: CanadianFlyer88

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I have such a conflict of interests going on when Portugal are on...

I like the team in general. Have since Figo, Rui Costa, Boa Morte, Deco, Andrade and Abel Xavier... loved all of those players.

And now really love watching Bernardo Silva, Nelson Semedo, Bruno Fernandes, Ruben Dias, Renato Sanchez...

plus my girlfriend is Portuguese.

But cant stand Ronaldo and Pepe. :laugh:

Who were such massive parts of the team for the last ~12 years. Though ofc Ronaldo is amazing his diving and whining is the antipathy of how football should be played. (similar with Pepe... scum of a CB.)

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

I like the team in general. Have since Figo, Rui Costa, Boa Morte, Deco, Andrade and Abel Xavier... loved all of those players.

And now really love watching Bernardo Silva, Nelson Semedo, Bruno Fernandes, Ruben Dias, Renato Sanchez...

Who were such massive parts of the team for the last ~12 years. Though ofc Ronaldo is amazing his diving and whining is the antipathy of how football should be played. (similar with Pepe... scum of a CB.)

Pics or it didn't happen

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City

The guys I played club soccer with growing up were mainly Portuguese and they thought they were in a golden age then with Figo as the talisman.

They were annoying then, so I can't imagine how annoying they would have been in the last several years with all of the national team's success. :laugh:

I lost touch with them after I moved to Vancouver, so it's been more than 20 years since I saw those guys. Good soccer players, that group, and I know a couple played university soccer in Canada. Don't think any went south of the border.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
The guys I played club soccer with growing up were mainly Portuguese and they thought they were in a golden age then with Figo as the talisman.

They were annoying then, so I can't imagine how annoying they would have been in the last several years with all of the national team's success. :laugh:

I lost touch with them after I moved to Vancouver, so it's been more than 20 years since I saw those guys. Good soccer players, that group, and I know a couple played university soccer in Canada. Don't think any went south of the border.

Southern Europeans dont share the North of Europes time honoured tradition of hating your own team and under-rating and being depreciating about them. It is weird... :laugh:

She cares more about Benfica than the national team though.

My girlfriend dislikes Ronaldo (he played for Sporting, is soft, and is pretty stupid.. she finds him doing interviews hilarious) anyway so that is nice. We can unite in our dislike of him.

Plus a girl she knows from school who was Bernardo Silva's girlfriend (she is from the same area of the city as him) when he was at Benfica. :laugh: And she said he is by all accounts really nice and smart and the opposite of what people think of when imagine a pro player. (but that is probably because he is a Benfica player :help:... though he speaks better English than most English people, is fluent in four languages, and drives a Smart car, so probably some truth to that.)

In fact all three of City's Portuguese players, Silva, Dias and Cancelo are Benfica products haha. And Silva and Dias from very near where she is from... so not hard to sell her Man City ahah.

Last edited:

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019

That golden age lacked one key ingredient, especially for that era... a striker. Pauletta was miles behind that midfield

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
That golden age lacked one key ingredient, especially for that era... a striker. Pauletta was miles behind that midfield

I think Pauleta was solid. But that midfield was amazing.

Nuno Gomes had a couple of great years... but seemed to be past his peak by the time he was 25...

and it never all lined up at the same time.

And they had Sa Pinto. But he was unhinged and always injured.

Then after that Helder Postiga. Hahaha. Who scored more than 15 goals in a whole season once in his career.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
Quintessential English performance so far. Trying to play a style that the talent on the pitch can’t support.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Quintessential English performance so far. Trying to play a style that the talent on the pitch can’t support.

What is funny is they have played better than when they fluked the win vs Belgium last time.

But this time Belgium were clinical and no flukey breaks for England.

Just a lot of overrated player on England team...

Kane and Sterling are the only legit world class players right now. Albeit Sancho, Foden, Greenwood, Bellingham, Grealish etc could be soon. But how many times have we heard that?

Belgium have Hazard and Carasco missing with injury too...

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
What is funny is they have played better than when they fluked the win vs Belgium last time.

But this time Belgium were clinical and no flukey breaks for England.

Just a lot of overrated player on England team...

Kane and Sterling are the only legit world class players right now. Albeit Sancho, Foden, Greenwood, Bellingham, Grealish etc could be soon. But how many times have we heard that?

Belgium have Hazard and Carasco missing with injury too...

Yep you called it.... clinical. England never had a chance against that well coach, balanced team. England was so sporadic.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Yep you called it.... clinical. England never had a chance against that well coach, balanced team. England was so sporadic.

I mean... how many England players would get in the Belgian, Spanish, German or French starting 11?

2-3 in most cases... maybe, maybe 4.

It is just unrealistic to expect them to compete right at the sharp point right now. Maybe in 2-3 years or so...

"Talent" is all well and good. But other teams have talent as well...

Plus, yeh, England have some great players and depth in SOME positions. They are strong down the wings and at LB and RB with multiple options, and have a great CF.

But CB, DM and AM? There are no players in those positions right now who can control a game.

Grealish and Foden have the talent to be *that* guy at AM... but they are not quite there yet.

As for CB and DM? Jeez. I would take prime Nicky Butt right now... let alone Ince, Hargreaves etc.

Hopefully Rice can keep developing then maybe he is that guy at DM.

But not there yet!

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

This international break is such a joke. Additional games in an already truncated and condenses season, coupled with bringing people together for team sports that are literally in different parts of the world. Everyone fly in back to your home country, then fly back to your country of employment and infect everyone on your team.

Oh, and then go and play in the CL/ Europa and infect more people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad