HF Habs: So who would you like Habs to draft @ 15?

So which would you draft at 15?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Heinola
Caufield
Newhook
Dorofeyev

Drafting Broberg ahead of Heinola would be a mistake. When’s the last time a Swede developed properly in our system? I’m not a huge fan either, tbh.

Reactions: philipsson

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
A second is acceptable if you like a guy way more than the consensus does, and you suggest a strategy to pick your top two guys. Otherwise it's just fishing. 3 years down the line ''Ha, told you guys one of Zadina, Tkachuk, Hughes, Dobson would be better than Kotkaniemi.'' That's not how any of this works.
That’s my view on it also, that’s like saying I want Columbus to beat Tampa but Tampa has the better team and should win.....that’s a Tony Marinaro special right there, leaving yourself to many contingency plans....

I’ve been reading posters ideas and breakdowns, did some homework myself and came to a decision on Newhook.

A player of this ilk you cannot pass on....at least not where we’re picking.

If he’s gone I’d go Seider, never seen him play nor have I seen highlights but I like the potential and what I’ve read.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

McGuires Corndog

Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Caufield, Newhook or Soderstrom/Heinola

Soderstrom would be good but most mock’s have him in the top 10 - he’s unlikely to fall to our spot unless we trade up. He’s also a RD, so he’s a bit less of a need in that sense. Not that I believe in drafting by need, but we really do need some LD’s and there is some potentially great ones right in our wheelhouse so it’s not reaching.

McGuires Corndog

Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
That’s my view on it also, that’s like saying I want Columbus to beat Tampa but Tampa has the better team and should win.....that’s a Tony Marinaro special right there, leaving yourself to many contingency plans....

I’ve been reading posters ideas and breakdowns, did some homework myself and came to a decision on Newhook.

If he’s gone I’d go Seider, never seen him play nor have I seen highlights but I like the potential and what I’ve read.

I can’t wait to see who we pick, there’s a lot of good prospects in the area we are picking and there is always the possibility someone may fall.

Newhook is definitely on my radar for sure, great skillset and the work ethic to match.

Reactions: jaffy27

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Its easy to say the BPA. But who is the best player avaible between a a futur dman top 4 and a top 6 forward? I did my mock draft and at the 15th position. Every player have a problem who could become a bigger problem. Caufield is a dwarf, newhook produce well but in the bchl. Kaliyev is maybe the worst defensively. York is weak like a sheep. Lavoie is one year older than most of people. Suzuki is perimeter guy that we already have a lot. So it will be difficult to select this year at 15th. A guy who could be a sure bet is matthew robertson. Young. Alternate captain. Good progression, big and LD

You are right that every player you mentioned has a problem, but that is also why they aren’t going #1.

That said, each player you mentioned has skills translatable at the next level; Caufield has great vision and is lethal with the puck. Newhook has a lot of elite skills and is a great skater. Kaliyev also has great goal scoring ability as well. Lavoie being a year older would make him physically more mature and more NHL ready. He has good size and good overall skills. Suzuki is a great playmaker and better skater than Nick.

However, Caufield has average skating which coupled with size, may be a barrier at the next level. Newhook is harder to scout as his peers aren’t at the same level as other leagues. Kaliyev floats sometimes and I think would drive Julien crazy. Lavoie doesn’t have the skills IMO to put him ahead of others. Suzuki can take shifts off sometimes, but I don’t have many complaints about him.

My point though is nobody is perfect at #1, let alone #15. We should however swing for the fences at #15. Take Matthew Robertson like you mentioned. Big, LHD, good shot and decent two-way player. However, I think his offensive upside is limited. It may improve, but I don’t think he is dynamic enough to become a 40-50 point defenceman on the Canadiens. I wouldn’t be upset if we chose him, but I think we need more with our pick.

Anyhow, I voted BPA, but depending who is available, I would like in order:

Dorofeyev
Newhook
Soderstrom
Caufield
Heinola

This list of mine changes frequently so maybe the order of my preference may change now and then, but those are my top-5 at 15.

SkywalkerQC

Poehling for president
Jul 30, 2016
Québec
I would prefer Samuel Poulin over Lavoie. My top 5 in those choices would probably be :
Soderstrom
Newhook
Heinola
Caufield
Poulin

Reactions: Redux91

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
I still prefer Heinola. He's a need for starters and he's been already playing 20+ minutes in the Liiga against men.

The only issue I see is whether he can adjust to smaller rink.

But getting such confidence from the coach for an 18 year old in the men's league and also scoring 8 points in 11 games post injury is impressive.

If he's already confident in the Liiga at this age and playing extremely well against older more seasoned competition, is a good sign that he can be ready sooner rather than later.

Also I am going with Heinola because there is a bigger chance he is still there at 15

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I can’t wait to see who we pick, there’s a lot of good prospects in the area we are picking and there is always the possibility someone may fall.

Newhook is definitely on my radar for sure, great skillset and the work ethic to match.

KK
Poehling
Suzuki
Newhook

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!

That is some serious young talent at the forward position!!!

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Caufield or Broberg would be my preference if available

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Two really good players that are both ''above value'' on my list.

Reactions: Chez Jesperi

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
I prefer Brink to Caufield . A bit bigger

35 goals is good production in the ushl let alone in 42 games

Reactions: BabyPanda

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I was super high on Broberg but it looks like he’s dropped quite a bit and Samuelson has surpassed him as the best Swedish defender available. Anybody know what caused the slide from sure fire top 10 to multiple mid teen rankings?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad