So...Who`s going to make it impossible for Julien to Cut??

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
i could see the kid pasternak at least making it hard to cut... his job gets alot easier if there is any sort of injury to one of our scoring wingers/or if smith doesnt get signed.

definitely seem gagne making the team unless he outright sucks

spooner is a gut call now to make the team... his job isnt open unless soderberg is dealt but im calling for soderberg to be dealt so this becomes a conditional spot imo

leino is likely going to get a spot as i dont see the team inviting him unless they are alot higher on him than i am.

how does that look for a lineup?

lucic/krejci/pasternak
marchand/bergeron/gagne
eriksson/soderberg or spooner/smith
paille/kelly/leino

i have campbell being moved as a cap move... eriksson moves up the lineup if pasternak doesnt play. if soderberg is dealt than its probably for a very good young winger that plays instead of pasternak and ends up on the third line.

as for dmen... i think we know what we are expecting from the kids...i see mcquaid becoming a cap casualty which opens the door for bartowski to play but that could bounce the other way. see boychuck being dealt

so boychuk/mcquaid/campbell and soderberg are all big names i am still expecting to be dealt in order to get the cap managed.

hopefully at least one new guy with strong offensive skills is going to be picked up in the trade (s)

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
i could see the kid pasternak at least making it hard to cut... his job gets alot easier if there is any sort of injury to one of our scoring wingers/or if smith doesnt get signed.

spooner is a gut call now to make the team... his job isnt open unless soderberg is dealt but im calling for soderberg to be dealt so this becomes a conditional spot imo

leino is likely going to get a spot as i dont see the team inviting him unless they are alot higher on him than i am.

lucic/krejci/pasternak
marchand/bergeron/gagne
paille/kelly/leino

i have campbell being moved as a cap move... eriksson moves up the lineup if pasternak doesnt play. if soderberg is dealt than its probably for a very good young winger that plays instead of pasternak and ends up on the third line.

as for dmen... i think we know what we are expecting from the kids...i see mcquaid becoming a cap casualty which opens the door for bartowski to play but that could bounce the other way. see boychuck being dealt

so boychuk/mcquaid/campbell and soderberg are all big names i am still expecting to be dealt in order to get the cap managed.

hopefully at least one new guy with strong offensive skills is going to be picked up in the trade (s)

There is zero chance of Soderberg being dealt.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
At this point, I would say Khokhlachev. He just seems to be the guy who keeps improving and refuses to be denied.

LFG19

Apr 27, 2014
from chia's comments, and speculation, i think boychuk is on his way out. i think for a decent rw, let's pretend perron. then i think kelly has to be moved for cap space, probably packaged with a 2nd round pick for a 3rd round pick or something similar.

Lucic Krejci Perron - would be the best line the Bruins have had in a long time, that line always lacks speed, Perron brings that and some nice dangles
Marchand Bergeron Smith
Gagne Soderberg Eriksson - some vet presence with a soon to be stud center
Paille Campbell Leino or whoever else is the best of the worst

Chara Hamilton
Bartkowski Seidenberg (better hope Seids is very healthy)
Krug Mcquaid
Miller

I could live with this.

LFG19

Apr 27, 2014
As much as I like Perron, I see JB55 traded for a top RW prospect with top 6 upside who can step in right away. I really like that line-up, but Eriksson has to get his shot at the title this year. I want him starting the season on the top line to show what we are really dealing with here.

Make or break year for him. Came here to be an elite talent, let's see if he could be. I wouldn't mind something like:

Lucic-Krejci-Eriksson
Marchand-Bergeron-Smith
Gagne-Soderberg-Smith Pelly
Paille-Campbell-Fraser/Florek
Robins

Chara-Hamilton
Seidenberg-McQuaid
Krug-Miller

Rask-Svedberg

Trade Boychuk and Kelly for Devante Smith-Pelly and 4th round pick

Im high on DSP, would love him here. think he has great top 6 potential.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
As much as I like Perron, I see JB55 traded for a top RW prospect with top 6 upside who can step in right away. I really like that line-up, but Eriksson has to get his shot at the title this year. I want him starting the season on the top line to show what we are really dealing with here.

Make or break year for him. Came here to be an elite talent, let's see if he could be. I wouldn't mind something like:

Lucic-Krejci-Eriksson
Marchand-Bergeron-Smith
Gagne-Soderberg-Smith Pelly
Paille-Campbell-Fraser/Florek
Robins

Chara-Hamilton
Seidenberg-McQuaid
Krug-Miller

Rask-Svedberg

Trade Boychuk and Kelly for Devante Smith-Pelly and 4th round pick

Kelly doenst have them on his no trade; Boychuk it been speculated has been discussing an extension and then Friedman came out and confirmed; Chiarelli told season ticket holders don't believe rumors they are looking to deal him. A few months ago they checked interest but right now they are open minded on keeping him long term

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

lucic/krejci/pasternak
marchand/bergeron/gagne
paille/kelly/leino

Let's deal the guy the B's waited 6-7 years for and is only making a mil, despite being the best 3rd line center in the NHL...

You just can't make stuff like this up.

Kelly doenst have them on his no trade; Boychuk it been speculated has been discussing an extension and then Friedman came out and confirmed; Chiarelli told season ticket holders don't believe rumors they are looking to deal him. A few months ago they checked interest but right now they are open minded on keeping him long term

Dan, I think you have this wrong. Friedman said that he had heard rumors of a JB extension, but that his sources said that discussion did NOT take place. He said he could see why the B's would talk extension before dealing him, but have not yet.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
If the Bruins deal Soderberg, it will be in an alternate reality and have a long term effect on the cosmic relevance of the figure eight

Soderberg signs an extension before this season is over. I'll put money on that.

I absolutely believe you Dom.

So what does this mean for Spooner and/or Koko? Does one stay, one go? Do they both stay and one gets the 4th line C spot over Campbell?

Inquiring minds want to know :D

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

So what does this mean for Spooner and/or Koko? Does one stay, one go? Do they both stay and one gets the 4th line C spot over Campbell?

First off, you were right in saying Dan was wrong

IF one of Spooner/Koko go -my money is on Spooner going.

As for Campbell being replaced by one of them - not sure but I doubt it

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
First off, you were right in saying Dan was wrong

IF one of Spooner/Koko go -my money is on Spooner going.

As for Campbell being replaced by one of them - not sure but I doubt it

About what I thought.

Unfortunately, that means that my dreams of a fast, hard-hitting 4th line that is an actual threat to score can die a slow and painful death :laugh:

DaStinger

Permanent Interim
Feb 14, 2007
NB, Canada

One could go, imo they could both be wingers on the team in 2 seasons time. This management/coaching team love to keep a pile of natural centers around and play them on the wing.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
One could go, imo they could both be wingers on the team in 2 seasons time. This management/coaching team love to keep a pile of natural centers around and play them on the wing.

The B's do love versatile guys, but whatever the reason, the B's seemed convinced that Spooner and Koko cannot play the wing. They would have shifted them there already if that was not the case.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Agreed, if you traded Soderberg, his replacement would cost almost the same amount of money, and would perform much lower.

Spooner is making a name for himself, but I don't believe Julien likes him as much as the HF boys.

Also Gagne, everyone knows that the Bruins were going to keep one of him or Leino.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Agreed, if you traded Soderberg, his replacement would cost almost the same amount of money, and would perform much lower.

Spooner is making a name for himself, but I don't believe Julien likes him as much as the HF boys.

Also Gagne, everyone knows that the Bruins were going to keep one of him or Leino.

Seems that way...sad but true...

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
Gagne hasn't shown me a heck of a lot so far, Leino looked quicker than he was last night.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
I wouldn't mind Gagne as the 12/13th F for cheap.

As for who will make it tough to cut, Fraser already won points in game 1 for one of the 3-4 open forward spots.

So does Fraser fit in on the 3rd line to start the year???

Gagne would be a nice 13th forward, lots of experience, and in the words of everyone on the Bruins board "anyone but Caron"

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
As for Campbell being replaced by one of them (Spooner/Koko) - not sure but I doubt it

Can someone please tell me what Kelly and/or Campbell provide that Spooner cannot ?
Kelly and Campbell have zero offense, and bring what ever line they are on down to
almost 0 offense.

Yes they are defensively responsible, but aren't there enough players on the
team with this skill.
Both penalty killers, yes others can do that too.
Vets with Experience, yes, but again lots of others on the team that have this as well.
Leaders ? I'm not in the locker, but not that I've read.

Kelly and Campbell are the safe bet, which is what the B's will do, which has
been my big complaint over the last few years. I'd rather go with Spooner and a
young'in and have them grow over the regular season. You'll get so much more out
of 2 young'ins in the playoffs than Kelly and Campbell.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Then which teams does he have on his list? I can't find it anywhere. Capgeek doesn't have it.

My answer to the thread question?....Spooner.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Then which teams does he have on his list? I can't find it anywhere. Capgeek doesn't have it.

My answer to the thread question?....Spooner.

It was mentioned recently somewhere else on this board. All eight teams are in the northeast. Montreal and Ottawa are two of them.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
I know this is "hockey's future" and everyone has their favorite shiny prospect binky.

Still, I can't help but laugh at the absurd criticism Chiarelli receives for merely inviting a couple of veteran guys to training camp.

It makes sense to bring in a couple of guys (Leino/Gagne) to see if one of them can cut it for a few reasons.

1. It's a bad idea to have too many young forwards in the lineup at one time....remember the object of the game is winning....not bragging rights for internet keyboard jockeys that "our team" has the best prospects. (yes I appreciate the irony of using the same means of communication.) Anyone remember Mike Babcock said recently "yea I like kids....but I like winning better"....yes he who would be universally held as one of the best coaches in the league. Young players make more mistakes...simple fact of hockey and the Bruins want to be a contender. That doesn't mean there isn't space for young players, but 3 or 4 rookie forwards is generally not a recipe for success.

2. The Bruins are going to have to move a couple of bodies out and one of Leino/Gagne will not cost much. They add another cheap contract with lots of NHL experience to a cap-strapped roster

3. It is not a given that Gagne/Leino perform poorly.

4. It is not a given that our "stud prospects" perform well, and what happens if they stink up the joint, get physically worn down over the course of the season, or there are injuries, and there are no other options but to make a panic trade? At that point, the fantasy GM's would be all over Chiarelli for not having a contingency plan.

5. There is no real risk with a potential for decent reward. Gagne in the right situation could probably chip in 15 goals on a bargain contract.

If anything I think Chiarelli could/should be criticized for being in a position where there isn't a single right-shooting RW on the roster, which can still be amended.

The truth is that he still holds the cards at the moment. If he waits too long it will swing the other way. However, proven NHL defensemen on good/decent contracts will always be a commodity because every team can only dress 6/7 and they play more minutes and more important minutes than forwards. A d-man makes a mistake and it's in his net or at least a scoring chance.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I know this is "hockey's future" and everyone has their favorite shiny prospect binky.

Still, I can't help but laugh at the absurd criticism Chiarelli receives for merely inviting a couple of veteran guys to training camp.

It makes sense to bring in a couple of guys (Leino/Gagne) to see if one of them can cut it for a few reasons.

1. It's a bad idea to have too many young forwards in the lineup at one time....remember the object of the game is winning....not bragging rights for internet keyboard jockeys that "our team" has the best prospects. (yes I appreciate the irony of using the same means of communication.) Anyone remember Mike Babcock said recently "yea I like kids....but I like winning better"....yes he who would be universally held as one of the best coaches in the league. Young players make more mistakes...simple fact of hockey and the Bruins want to be a contender. That doesn't mean there isn't space for young players, but 3 or 4 rookie forwards is generally not a recipe for success.

2. The Bruins are going to have to move a couple of bodies out and one of Leino/Gagne will not cost much. They add another cheap contract with lots of NHL experience to a cap-strapped roster

3. It is not a given that Gagne/Leino perform poorly.

4. It is not a given that our "stud prospects" perform well, and what happens if they stink up the joint, get physically worn down over the course of the season, or there are injuries, and there are no other options but to make a panic trade? At that point, the fantasy GM's would be all over Chiarelli for not having a contingency plan.

5. There is no real risk with a potential for decent reward. Gagne in the right situation could probably chip in 15 goals on a bargain contract.

If anything I think Chiarelli could/should be criticized for being in a position where there isn't a single right-shooting RW on the roster, which can still be amended.

The truth is that he still holds the cards at the moment. If he waits too long it will swing the other way. However, proven NHL defensemen on good/decent contracts will always be a commodity because every team can only dress 6/7 and they play more minutes and more important minutes than forwards. A d-man makes a mistake and it's in his net or at least a scoring chance.

1. You can easily find a veteran out of the NHL waiver scrap heap if you really, really need to... But we have enough kids to cycle through first IMO.

2. Veteran minimum is 525k. Not too much better than any of the kids

3. History dictates they will (over the past 4 years)

4. We have enough of them to go through. Either we find a match or maybe they raise their trade value for the deadline.

5. Our prospects in the right situation are a better bet for 15 goals than Gagne IMO. Fraser will outscore him. I bet even Pastrnak would outscore him.

I'd rather go vets for the most part, but good ones. If you can't get legit top 6-9 NHL proven talent in here (over the past couple years, not 2010), then rotate through the kids and make a deal in January or February.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad