So when does McDavid go full Lebron and take control of this team?

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
I posted this as a comment in the main threads. I'm just wondering what people think about this. I'm not saying that this will happen, I just think that it's something that I would consider if I were McDavid.

McDavid must be absolutely frustrated seeing the disaster unfold around him as he is entering his prime years. While he should be leading a team that is a perennial Stanley Cup contender, they cannot even consistently get into the playoffs.

If I were him, I'd be booking a meeting with my agent and Katz, demanding him to really make drastic changes - getting rid of the OBC and Nicholson. Clearly these people are not good judges of talent (player or managerial) and cannot run a successful hockey franchise. If not, I would threaten to publicly ask for a trade. This would have grave consequences for Katz as McDavid is the face of the franchise and is who is selling tickets, jerseys etc. He is the prime money maker for Katz (from a hockey perspective.)

Katz would have to choose his buddies, or choose his money making star. Should he choose the former, he would be absolutely vilified by Edmonton fans and I personally think most fans would side with McDavid. I know it is an unpopular option, and many would criticize McDavid for not being "gentlemanly" and "an ambassador of the sport" but who really cares at this stage? The alternative for McDavid is spending his prime years in a losing culture. He needs to be selfish and think of his career, not the image of the Oilers or the NHL. Hopefully it wouldn't get to him having to publicly make any trade demands though.

I think if it came to this perhaps this would twist Katz's arm and force him to make drastic changes and actually take the ownership of this team more seriously. The only other thing that would force is hand is losing out money from season ticket holders, but I'm not sure there is enough people giving up on the team to pressure ownership. McDavid probably has more leverage than we think and could force more hopeful change.

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
He doesn't Have Bron's mentality. He is a team guy. Times like this you would hope he did. Just rip into upper management, and demand a proper team.

Reactions: lakai17

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
He doesn't Have Bron's mentality. He is a team guy. Times like this you would hope he did. Just rip into upper management, and demand a proper team.
He is a team guy which is fantastic, and another reason why I really respect him as a player. But that doesn't mean he doesn't have his own personal goals and drive. This guy is a winner and has a ton of compete in him. You don't get to this level without having a tiny bit of ego and pride to boost your motivation. The difference is he doesn't show it publicly. I think he could gently make a play like this without having to go public or looking selfish like Lebron has in the past.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Hockey isn't like basketball. That kind of personality just isn't appealing. Connor McDavid is the consummate professional and he leads by example on the ice.

And as good as he is, he isn't God. I wouldn't trust his judgement to understand what it takes to run an NHL franchise and would hope that it isn't something that is a significant distraction to him.

Connor needs to create goals--lots of em. That's pretty much it.

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
Hockey isn't like basketball. That kind of personality just isn't appealing. Connor McDavid is the consummate professional and he leads by example on the ice.

And as good as he is, he isn't God. I wouldn't trust his judgement to understand what it takes to run an NHL franchise and would hope that it isn't something that is a significant distraction to him.

Connor needs to create goals--lots of em. That's pretty much it.
I agree with what you are saying in regards to hockey not being like basketball. Again, I don't think that he should call the shots on what moves to make. I just think that he can force Katz to make more change. I'm not sure what type of relationship they have but if he even makes it clear that he is not happy and will not consider re-signing or perhaps is contemplating a trade request, this makes Katz make more change and get rid of the people that have been harming this team for years. It's like "Lebron Lite"

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

I don't think you even get much of that in hockey. Its so much more imbued in team stance, team adherence. Being part of a bigger thing.

Egos in hockey don't get inflated like they do in Basketball. pun intended.

That said it was interesting that Nicholson stated McD would be consulted on all roster decisions here on in, the remainder of the season. That was in the presser.

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
I don't think you even get much of that in hockey. Its so much more imbued in team stance, team adherence. Being part of a bigger thing.

Egos in hockey don't get inflated like they do in Basketball. pun intended.

That said it was interesting that Nicholson stated McD would be consulted on all roster decisions here on in, the remainder of the season. That was in the presser.

I must have missed that. I'm really happy that they are at least publicizing that, and hope that it is true. I hope that they are listening to his opinions about non roster decisions as well. I think coaching and management have to have a very solid relationship with their star player. He has to be able to buy in to what they are selling, because only then will the rest of the team follow.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Neutral TML coming in here. He needs to hold a presser at the end of the year. Basically throw the Management Staff under the bus and demand better. Say you’re committed to the team, your teammates and the fans but expect massive changes from the front office to put a team on the ice that can compete for the SC.

Reactions: Bretzky and McKappa

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
Neutral TML coming in here. He needs to hold a presser at the end of the year. Basically throw the Management Staff under the bus and demand better. Say you’re committed to the team, your teammates and the fans but expect massive changes from the front office to put a team on the ice that can compete for the SC.

Thanks for your input as an outsider. Personally, I think Toronto media would vilify him and eat him alive if he through his team under the bus right away. I think it needs to be done behind closed doors first to save some face. This can hopefully be done between him and ownership with successful moves made to prevent a public "calling out" from happening.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
LOL bron is so much better than Jordan it's not even funny.
You must be young lol.

Jordan could have done an 8 peat. WAY BETTER

Go watch his playoff highlites. Could do everything.

Don't want to go off topic lol

Not even on the same level. BBALL was much tougher in the 90's as well. You blow on a guy now it's a foul

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I must have missed that. I'm really happy that they are at least publicizing that, and hope that it is true. I hope that they are listening to his opinions about non roster decisions as well. I think coaching and management have to have a very solid relationship with their star player. He has to be able to buy in to what they are selling, because only then will the rest of the team follow.
Afairc it wasn't specific to Roster either. That McD would be consulted on major GM decisions the remainder of this season. I thought it was odd, but not in disagreement with it. Strangely no questions were asked about it. It was one of Nicholsons disjointed comments so maybe not many picked up on it.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
You must be young lol.

Jordan could have done an 8 peat. WAY BETTER

Go watch his playoff highlites. Could do everything.

Don't want to go off topic lol

Not even on the same level. BBALL was much tougher in the 90's as well. You blow on a guy now it's a foul

Not gonna drag this anymore OT but this "the league was tougher" stuff is crap. Today's players are bigger, faster, stronger and more athletic than they were in MJ's day.

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
Afairc it wasn't specific to Roster either. That McD would be consulted on major GM decisions the remainder of this season. I thought it was odd, but not in disagreement with it. Strangely no questions were asked about it. It was one of Nicholsons disjointed comments so maybe not many picked up on it.

Most of his comments are....another guy that just needs to leave this organization and take his overpriced burgers with him :thumbd:

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Back to the topic, McDavid won't call out the team or demand a trade because he's a Good Hockey Guy.

But he should.

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
Back to the topic, McDavid won't call out the team or demand a trade because he's a Good Hockey Guy.

But he should.

I think there is a way that he can do this and still be a good hockey guy. Maybe I'm in the minority.

Reactions: Aerrol

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014

But he should.

Not publicly no. But when we are all blindsided by the trade in a couple years it will because he asked privately.

Reactions: cpsman

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
I don't think anyone will be surprised.
I agree, and I also don't think it may take all that long. If they don't turn it around and make the playoffs next year, I could see him demanding a trade as early as the end of next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad