So what's the plan going forward now?

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
Keith, Chara, doughty,lidstrom,pronger, Letang Carlson. Which team has won a cup without a legit number one franchise defenseman again?
legit number 1 and stud TPH are very difference. First of all, Carlson is a sub 40 point dman level guy. He had a great contract year, good for him. But im not going overboard on a great run and excusing a guy who plays with ovechkin and that offense and yet generally gets 37-39 points a year. Letang is a great offensive dman who fits in with penguins, but wouldnt call him a stud. Love how we have somehow gone from "HOF" dmen to stud dmen to legit number 1. Of that list you made, it goes Lidstrom, big ass gap to pronger, then maybe small gap to keith, then gap and the rest.

And let's be honest, penguins arent exactly winning due to letang back there. It's crosby and malkin leading that ship haha.

And one final edit, lot's of teams have their idea of a number 1 d, yet in the last decade or so it has been heavy in the league on 3 teams winning it all. What might be the difference between those teams and the rest of the league? Generational talent at forward with crosby/malkin and kane/toews for me is the difference between winning the cup or not. Not the presence of a legit number 1 d. Obviously having a good defense helps, just don't think that is number 1 on what wins championships.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
legit number 1 and stud TPH are very difference. First of all, Carlson is a sub 40 point dman level guy. He had a great contract year, good for him. But im not going overboard on a great run and excusing a guy who plays with ovechkin and that offense and yet generally gets 37-39 points a year. Letang is a great offensive dman who fits in with penguins, but wouldnt call him a stud. Love how we have somehow gone from "HOF" dmen to stud dmen to legit number 1. Of that list you made, it goes Lidstrom, big ass gap to pronger, then maybe small gap to keith, then gap and the rest.

And let's be honest, penguins arent exactly winning due to letang back there. It's crosby and malkin leading that ship haha.

And one final edit, lot's of teams have their idea of a number 1 d, yet in the last decade or so it has been heavy in the league on 3 teams winning it all. What might be the difference between those teams and the rest of the league? Generational talent at forward with crosby/malkin and kane/toews for me is the difference between winning the cup or not. Not the presence of a legit number 1 d. Obviously having a good defense helps, just don't think that is number 1 on what wins championships.

and honestly to just wrap this up as i feel like we could get back on topic for what specifically the wings could do next, my take is more of not what made those teams win, but what made those teams win instead of other teams in the league over that time period.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
Martha.Larkin.AA
Z. VELENO . Z
RASS NIELSON. BERT
HELM GLEN. ABY
Feel like the LAM line has been tried before and struggled a bit. Perhaps with them becoming a bit more seasoned it would work.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
AA is in that sweet spot where he will never live up to expectations here but will somehow make you regret trading him.

Power of hindsight trade right now. For those that want to move on from him it will be a turn the page event. Those that want to give him one last shot get to watch that trade like a hawk and hope when he steps it up that it was our fault for not holding onto him. If he does well it can be pointed out a lot. If he falls flat the turn the page crowd is unlikely to bring it up a bunch.

I would add that I think it could be argued trading AA might be the only thing to get him to work shift in and shift out the way he needs to. He probably needs the slap in the face. The Wings are hesitating though so who knows, but they really need to move a winger now and AA or Nyquist are the obvious choices.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
so my plan moving forward would be very simple. Get the 3 forwards we have that are prob ready in the lineup with ras/svech/zadina. Trade nyquist before season for a 1st while retaining 50 percent his salary to really make that enticing. Hope that team doesnt pull a vegas and make that a low 1st round pick. Trade daley for highest pick possible, would imagine a 2nd could be done? Make him our other salary retention to increase his trade value as well. Hopefully we struggle for one last year, ride a bit of luck and get that first overall pick and draft hughes, then use our other first rounder and some of our 3 2nd's (after daley trade) to move up as high as possible to get that high end d prospect. If we lose out on hughes would just get that high end d prospect with our pick if it falls in that 3-7 range we seem to be stuck in.

Hopefully we are pretty quiet on the free agent front. Get a good backup goalie that could grow into a number 1. That would be about it. Stay away from any large contracts in price/length. Stay away from green.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

I assume your post to be mostly light-hearted but when guys like Zadina or Berggren slide you should seize that opportunity IMO.

Also just for the record 43% of their picks over the last 3 years have been dmen including 7 of 16 picks in the first 3 rounds

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I assume your post to be mostly light-hearted but when guys like Zadina or Berggren slide you should seize that opportunity IMO.

Also just for the record 43% of their picks over the last 3 years have been dmen including 7 of 16 picks in the first 3 rounds

Oh yeah, totally poking fun. I had Zadina and Veleno as my highest ranked guy with our first 2 picks as well. I am a fan of what we did in this draft.

I just really cannot stress how important it is that we try to use our 1st pick on a defenseman next year, assuming we don't win the lottery and get Hughes. We have used a 6, 9, and 15 pick on a forward in the last few years. But our highest ranked defenseman in the system right now is a #20 pick. We only have 1 defenseman in our system who was drafted in the 1st round. Pretty big contrast there.

Zadina literally has me giddy, but we need a big time blue chip defenseman prospect here sooner than later. Otherwise I think we are kicking this re-build can down the road to an extent.

Reactions: jkutswings

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

When most of those picks come out of rounds where you're lucky if 1 in 5 to 1 in 10 players drafted make it to the NHL and 1 in 100 to 1 in 500 are actually impact players, its not really a fair stat to throw out there. Its not like they have 7 first and second round picks that are defenders.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
True, out of 9 picks in the first two rounds over the last 3 season they selected 4 D-men. And they did it with on average lower picks than they used on forwards.
Sometimes you take great players that fall in your lap.

Going into this draft it was 3 of our last 5 picks in those 2 rounds were defenseman. Still probably a lower draft position, but that's what happens when you have an outlier with 2 things to average.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018

Going into this draft it was 3 of our last 5 picks in those 2 rounds were defenseman. Still probably a lower draft position, but that's what happens when you have an outlier with 2 things to average.
next draft should be interesting. If we win the lottery would have to prob take hughes. If not hopefully wherever we fall there are enough high quality wingers that we end up with the highest rated d-man in the draft.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

Going into this draft it was 3 of our last 5 picks in those 2 rounds were defenseman.
In drafts, or in draft positions that were considered relatively weak for defensemen. Detroit needs as many bites at the apple as possible and while Zadina is the pick that no one with half a brain would pass up, the rest, well, might be suspect in 5 years. And even if they aren't, the fact that forwards develop faster and peak younger than D means that building your forward corp first might be a shortsighted idea.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

That's fine and I agree, but everything has an opportunity cost.

We have used 1 first rounder on a defenseman in the last 10 years.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
We have used 1 first rounder on a defenseman in the last 10 years.
Great, we would've have one this year too of things went to plan. Maybe 2 in the first.

We haven't been only drafting D in the 5,6,7. Shaman basically said that, which prompted my 4 in 3 comment

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

Another way of saying that is the Wings have used less than half of the picks that might actually do something in the NHL on defensemen. When the existing group is this bad, and there are no prospective top pair kids in the system, that's not prioritizing the need enough.

There's nothing wrong with being thrilled over landing Zadina. But unless it's an OMG 1st line center at the top of the draft (Hughes or otherwise), the next 12 months need to highly prioritize quality for the blue line.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Great, we would've have one this year too of things went to plan. Maybe 2 in the first.

We haven't been only drafting D in the 5,6,7. Shaman basically said that, which prompted my 4 in 3 comment

I got ya. I get going BPA this year. I like our draft this year. But we need to balance things out some with blue chip defenseman in the next draft or two here, because if you go BPA every year you will take a forward more often than not.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
The Plan?

the plan is to rebuild and its going to take a few more seasons of being bad

this draft I suspect we really wanted to draft dmen higher than we did, however, the other 30 NHL GM's didnt get the TPS report.

I wish KH would have packaged two of our thirds to move up and snag another 2nd round pick but thats really my only complaint

Zadina fell into our lap and you do NOT draft Bouchard or Hughes over Zadina, period.

what do we have now, 10 picks for next years draft?

I suspect they will target Dmen unless we draft top 3 and use at least 6 of those 10 picks on dmen

This is going to take a while still, just be happy that we're starting to assemble some building blocks(zadina, ras, larkin, mantha)

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I got ya. I get going BPA this year. I like our draft this year. But we need to balance things out some with blue chip defenseman in the next draft or two here, because if you go BPA every year you will take a forward more often than not.
I agree completely, I'm getting really excited to look into these kids next draft. Right now I only really know of Bowen and I'm not going to begin to fantasize about Jack Hughes until we're close to the end of the season locked into the bottom 5.

I also think us going center with 2 of our last 3 firsts is huge. We may not have locked down our future blue liners, but we have some talented center prospects now, and we didn't at all before. Outside of 3/4Cs we really haven't had anything to be excited about outside of Larkin and the Sheahan cocktease in 10 years. Now we could have some real center depth in our cupboards.

In the end, I'm just trying to take it easy - I know we have a couple more shitty years ahead. But potentially getting 3 top 6 players and a top 4 D in one draft has me too excited to be too worried at this point. I'm just bracing for Holland to sign some FAs and we turn this Kumbaya around the campfire into a full fledged riot.

Reactions: MikeyDee

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
In the end, I'm just trying to take it easy - I know we have a couple more ****ty years ahead. But potentially getting 3 top 6 players and a top 4 D in one draft has me too excited to be too worried at this point. I'm just bracing for Holland to sign some FAs and we turn this Kumbaya around the campfire into a full fledged riot.

I feel 100x better about everything after this draft. Like someone lifted a weight off of me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad