So what's the plan going forward now?

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I said it on the Canucks board... you guys seem poised to leapfrog us in the prospects department if you continue to focus on the rebuild the way you have. And don't worry about Zadina leapfrogging you guys in the standings, you'll still be terrible with him...just, a little more fun to watch.
Really? I was under the impression your prospect pool is insane.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
At this point you wait and hope the kids become everything we want. We do seem to have really good depth at forward and in light of that, I hope we target some top defensemen that will hit the free agency. Carlsson this year, Doughty and Karlsson next and whomever else. Overpay if have to... I know it's 'all about youth' on this board but we might just be able to compete very soon and while doing so, hope to get great player via lower picks...
Yeah in another post I mentioned going after OEL, Karlsson and/or Doughty. OEL agreed to an extension so he's off the radar. If Karlsson gets traded it seem like it would include an agreement to an extension so we'll see how that plays out.

This is one reason I don't want Holland blowing out the cap yet again with awful contracts and NMC/NTC. We're terrible so there's absolutely no reason to be anywhere near the salary cap. I was quite pleased to hear Kovalchuk had zero interest in signing here, Holland would have given him the moon and all the stars.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
If Z retires after this season, I certainly see Holland going after a player more for his wisdom than on-ice play. Outside of that, at forward, I think he stays put.
Defensemen though, I really would like it if Green sticks around one or two more years and if we can get a top notch guy via free agency, the only place of weakness might be goalkeeping.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Is Zadina playing back in Europe a possibility this year? Not sure they're going to rush him into the lineup this year if we already have Rasmussen and Svechnikov coming.

They could trade Svechnikov+Athanasiou+Ouellet for Faulk.

Then sign Vanek as a 1-year stopgap.

Nyquist - Zetterberg - Bertuzzi
Rasmussen - Larkin - Mantha
Vanek - Nielsen - Zadina
Helm - Glendening - Abdelkader
(Witkowski, Turgeon, Pope)

DeKeyser - Faulk
Ericsson - Daley
Kronwall - Hronek
(Hicketts , Jensen)

Howard
Back-up

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
They could trade Svechnikov+Athanasiou+Ouellet for Faulk.

Then sign Vanek as a 1-year stopgap.

Rasmussen - Larkin - Mantha
Vanek - Nielsen - Zadina
Helm - Glendening - Abdelkader
(Witkowski, Turgeon, Pope)

DeKeyser - Faulk
Ericsson - Daley
Kronwall - Hronek
(Hicketts , Jensen)

Howard
Back-up

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Trade Howard & AA + Ouellet for Faulk & Darling.

This seems fair to me with Darling's negative contract value. Adding Svechnikov instead of Howard maybe an overpayment as we don't know what he'll be yet.

Darling helps us tank next year for Hughes & maybe he even rebounds...If not CHI has/had interest to reacquire him. Go with a 1B/2A goalie tandem

Also trade Glendening to TML, while he still has some value.

Vanek - Larkin - Mantha
Abdelkader/Raz - Nielsen - Zadina
Helm - Turgeon - Abdelkader/Raz
(Witkowski, , Pope)

DeKeyser - Faulk
Ericsson - Daley
Kronwall - Hronek
(Hicketts , Jensen)

30-45 games...Hamburgler ? Halak ?
30-45 games...Darling

Let Green walk since he wants 3 yrs & probably a NTC/NMC & $5-6M AAV.

Carolina laughs and hangs up.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Trade Howard & AA + Ouellet for Faulk & Darling.

This seems fair to me with Darling's negative contract value. Adding Svechnikov instead of Howard maybe an overpayment as we don't know what he'll be yet.

Darling helps us tank next year for Hughes & maybe he even rebounds...If not CHI has/had interest to reacquire him. Go with a 1B/2A goalie tandem

Also trade Glendening to TML, while he still has some value.

Vanek - Larkin - Mantha
Abdelkader/Raz - Nielsen - Zadina
Helm - Turgeon - Abdelkader/Raz
(Witkowski, , Pope)

DeKeyser - Faulk
Ericsson - Daley
Kronwall - Hronek
(Hicketts , Jensen)

30-45 games...Hamburgler ? Halak ?
30-45 games...Darling

Let Green walk since he wants 3 yrs & probably a NTC/NMC & $5-6M AAV.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
So, what does the future core looks like ?

Zadina-Larkin-Svechnikov/X
Mantha-Veleno-Rasmussen
Berggren-Athanasiou/X-Bertuzzi

Cholowski-X
McIsaac-Hronek

AA and Svech can be traded, others are almost untouchable.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Wait Orpik to clear the waivers. Then he will be bought out.

Sign him for 1M and sign John Carlson for 8M.

Pair this Stanley Cup winning pair together again. Force Kronwall to LTIRetirement to create the cap room, or trade other scrubs to create room.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Trade AA/Nyquist and keep loading on picks. Crazy how much better off the wings seem going forward after one draft where they actually dealt guys for picks and really began rebuilding properly. Hope that dmen work out in next years draft but just keep drafting BPA.

Getting Zadina helps the wings rebuild much more than a Bouchard or Dobson.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Trade AA/Nyquist and keep loading on picks. Crazy how much better off the wings seem going forward after one draft where they actually dealt guys for picks and really began rebuilding properly. Hope that dmen work out in next years draft but just keep drafting BPA.

Getting Zadina helps the wings rebuild much more than a Bouchard or Dobson.

Lets check back in 5 years. I love the Zadina pick, but until we know if Dobson/Bouchard end up as top pairing or middle pairing guys will determine which was the better pick.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Man, you guys have no sense of how much Faulk is worth at all.

Right? He's a 26 year old #1-2 Dman with an offensive game. It'd take multiple #1's or Larkin/Mantha + a 1 even to get into the conversation. Hard pass.

The plan likely is to continue as they've done. They have the new barn, they are making a ton of cash (though not from hockey ops), and they have so many prospects in the system the teams are near max capacity.

I think the one area where there might be a difference is in pursuing a legit top 3 pick in the 19 draft if they don't "earn" one outright. Depending on how the draft class starts to shake out I think Detroit will view their prospect population as pretty much at max, so they might feel able to package a few current prospects and/or future picks in a bid to score a cherry on top style of elite player in the draft.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Right? He's a 26 year old #1-2 Dman with an offensive game. It'd take multiple #1's or Larkin/Mantha + a 1 even to get into the conversation. Hard pass.

The plan likely is to continue as they've done. They have the new barn, they are making a ton of cash (though not from hockey ops), and they have so many prospects in the system the teams are near max capacity.

I think the one area where there might be a difference is in pursuing a legit top 3 pick in the 19 draft if they don't "earn" one outright. Depending on how the draft class starts to shake out I think Detroit will view their prospect population as pretty much at max, so they might feel able to package a few current prospects and/or future picks in a bid to score a cherry on top style of elite player in the draft.
Yeah, agree that it's too much to pay for Faulk.

But yeah, if we get another high pick in next draft that all changes. A top 3 pick gives us a lot of options for getting the talent we need at D, either by drafting, trading that pick, or trading prospects we don't necessarily need anymore. Imagine how much flexibility we'd have if we somehow end up with the 1st overall? Throw in a couple more picks through trades.

The thing I like most about our situation is that we have our supporting cast pretty much locked in. We're missing a couple elite pieces. Obviously, elite pieces are harder to come by, but they also take much less time to develop. So over the next 2-3 years as our supporting cast develops, if we're able to land that elite talent, we'll be in a good spot fairly quickly.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Keep doing what you did this year.

Get picks, add talent. Maybe lean towards D, but priority should be straight up talent.

One more draft like this and we are sitting pretty in terms of assets. Then you can feel better out shipping out a young forward for an NHL defenseman that supports your upcoming roster ala Faulk.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
Keep doing what you did this year.

Get picks, add talent. Maybe lean towards D, but priority should be straight up talent.

One more draft like this and we are sitting pretty in terms of assets. Then you can feel better out shipping out a young forward for an NHL defenseman that supports your upcoming roster ala Faulk.
or just hope that hronek and cholo keep developing and come up to become the offensive catalyst on pairs 1 and 2. Perhaps mcisaac pairs one of them as the stay at home guy and maybe a guy like hicketts can be the other stay at home guy. If we luck out and get a guy like hughes or something next year can ride a great forward group if we are smart with how we pair defenders. Plus we wont have the pylons of ddk and ericsson back there, kronwall gone, and hopefully wont have any holdovers from the crapshow we had last year back there for most of the year.

Reactions: mantha39

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
or just hope that hronek and cholo keep developing and come up to become the offensive catalyst on pairs 1 and 2. Perhaps mcisaac pairs one of them as the stay at home guy and maybe a guy like hicketts can be the other stay at home guy. If we luck out and get a guy like hughes or something next year can ride a great forward group if we are smart with how we pair defenders. Plus we wont have the pylons of ddk and ericsson back there, kronwall gone, and hopefully wont have any holdovers from the crapshow we had last year back there for most of the year.

I think our future D core is this:

Cholowski - XXX
DeKeyser - Hronek
McIsaac/Hicketts - XXX (Jensen short-term)

Neeed two righties (1 ELITE, or at least elite on PP like Faulk) to pan out or got from free agency/trade.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
I think our future D core is this:

Cholowski - XXX
DeKeyser - Hronek
McIsaac/Hicketts - XXX (Jensen short-term)

Neeed two righties (1 ELITE, or at least elite on PP like Faulk) to pan out or got from free agency/trade.
still think mcisaac could end up pairing a guy like cholo, even if that is on the first pairing. From what i hear he is a strong skater and defensively strong. Sounds like what you would want to pair your offensive top guy. We shall see. I think of all the guys who end up pairing the karlssons of the world and how they may be offensively limited but compliment the star well.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
https://www.mlive.com/expo/sports/erry-2018/06/cc338b19d81040/will_red_wings_trade_a_forward.html

Carolina defenseman Justin Faulk is rumored to be on the trading block. He’s 26, has two years remaining on his contract at a $4.8 million cap hit and shoots right. The Hurricanes, however, have only five defensemen on their roster and four of them shoot right. It’s a weak free-agent class on defense, so if Carolina moves Faulk they might want a left-shooting defenseman in return.

DeKeyser + ? <> Faulk

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Naah, you add enough to make a deal.

DeKeyser is much better defenceman than you haters understand.

Dekeyser is negative value right now, especially with that cap hit.

I used to like Dekeyser quite a bit, I have a shirsie of his, but he’s had two bad years in a row and has a massive contract. He has negative value.

Reactions: shanman

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
still think mcisaac could end up pairing a guy like cholo, even if that is on the first pairing. From what i hear he is a strong skater and defensively strong. Sounds like what you would want to pair your offensive top guy. We shall see. I think of all the guys who end up pairing the karlssons of the world and how they may be offensively limited but compliment the star well.

Yeah, I think McIsaac has as much potential as Cholowski does. Kind of similar all-around guys. Hopefully they make DeKeyser expendable so I don't have to watch him anymore.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah, I think McIsaac has as much potential as Cholowski does. Kind of similar all-around guys. Hopefully they make DeKeyser expendable so I don't have to watch him anymore.
at this point i want to see them move ddk for whatever they can get without giving up assets to dump him. Wouldnt even care about getting a low round pick for him at this point haha.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Naah, you add enough to make a deal.

DeKeyser is much better defenceman than you haters understand. He would compliment someone like Dougie Hamilton very well. Management in Carolina knows that.
Dd isn't going to be the main piece, though. He'd be an add on to something really, really good. Carolina is good on the wings so what do we have to offer? Doesn't seem like we line up well to trade with them..

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
https://www.mlive.com/expo/sports/erry-2018/06/cc338b19d81040/will_red_wings_trade_a_forward.html

Ansar Khan kind of leaks everything.

- Believes Nyquist is gonna traded in the middle of the season, because the next contract would cost too much. Also new drafted wingers need future roster slots.
- Green offered 1y 6.0M and 2y 5.0M. Will test the market for a longer deal.
- Athanasiou the biggest trade bait after a defenceman (in some package)

Everything sounds reasonable.
makes sense. I am so torn about losing AA. Feel like a new change of scenery might be best for him and could see him easily in that 25 plus goals a season category if he becomes more than a home run hitter. Think we keep either svech or AA, not quite a fan of losing both of them though in search of a d.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad