So what now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
We haven't had a lot of chances to do so, because we sucked for a long time. That has nothing to do with our team now or moving forward, and it says nothing about win/loss results from 5 or 7 game samples against singular teams being effective for team evaluation.

Nobody's said that playoffs are the ONLY thing to consider but playoff games carry a lot more weight than regular season games. You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Hey guys, a CBJ fan stopping by. I have no intention of being a troll, but I have a question. You folks are great fans and know your hockey. I’ve read this thread because I’m interested.
Have you seen enough of Tampa and Columbus to draw a conclusion of how Toronto would have fared against Tampa? Toronto’s playing style matches up similar to Tampa’s and not Columbus. If TML had won game 5, how would they be faring so far? Note; it’s an option question so there are no incorrect answers. Thanks. I’ll hang up and listen to your answer.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Hey guys, a CBJ fan stopping by. I have no intention of being a troll, but I have a question. You folks are great fans and know your hockey. I’ve read this thread because I’m interested.
Have you seen enough of Tampa and Columbus to draw a conclusion of how Toronto would have fared against Tampa? Toronto’s playing style matches up similar to Tampa’s and not Columbus. If TML had won game 5, how would they be faring so far? Note; it’s an option question so there are no incorrect answers. Thanks. I’ll hang up and listen to your answer.
We'd probably fair OK until there's an elimination game, then we'd be lifeless and lose

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Honestly nobody knows. The Leafs could walk over Tampa because we can score with them or they could simply put us out in 4 because they outplayed us at our own game

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Yeah I think the Leafs match up much better against the high-flying teams. We have trouble when other teams play a tight checking, disciplined game. Having said that, this group hasn't proven they can beat anyone in the playoffs. Nor can they ever develop any consistency it seems.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

Toronto vs Tampa was looking to be a series prior to the stoppage. I'd say Tampa would have been favoured to win and that's probably what would have happened. I do like to think it would have been a competitive series (six or seven) and that Muzzin would have returned. I guess losing in the Round of 16 is a bit better than losing in the Round of 24. Can only guess!

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Leafs stats for the entire Qualifying round of the playoffs and ranking overall:

5v5 adjusted:

Expected Goals For/60:
2.13 (10th out of 24 NHL teams)

Actual Goals For/60:
0.65 (24th out of 24 NHL teams)

Expected Goals Against/60:
1.77 (3rd fewest out of 24 NHL teams)

Actual Goals Against/60:
2.15 (12th fewest out of 24 NHL teams)

Expected Goal Differential/60:
54.64 (9th out of 24 NHL teams)

Actual Goal Differential/60:
23.25 (23rd out of 24 NHL teams)

Save%: 92.61 (12th out of 24 NHL teams)

PK:

Expected Goals Against/60:
3.14 (3rd fewest out of 24 NHL teams)

Actual Goals Against/60:
0 (Tied for 1st with 3 others out of 24 NHL teams)

PP:

Expected Goals For/60:
6.65 (8th out of 24 NHL teams)

Actual Goals For/60:
5.53 (14th out of 24 NHL teams)

All situations, not adjusted:

Expected wins - 3 (Top 8 of 16)

Actual wins - 2 (9th of 16)

Don't much care about the other stats

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
playoff games carry a lot more weight than regular season games.
If you consider the necessary context, it can be valuable additional information, but small samples against one team doesn't trump big samples against a variety of teams for the purposes of team evaluation.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Much easier playing on a team with best defenders in NHL
yes still a very good player, number 1 center, had a great year, still playing, was out doing a good job last night shutting down boston, yawn excuses for everything, so many excuses given for our players, must be getting real hard to defend this team when it cant even make the playoffs

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
yes still a very good player, number 1 center, had a great year, still playing, was out doing a good job last night shutting down boston, yawn excuses for everything
Agreed but da heart of that team is Staal and defense corps ... it is why they they have heart of a lion ... but Aho helps and I think gives them a bit more than CLB to take da east unless their tending blows it for them

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If you consider the necessary context, it can be valuable additional information, but small samples against one team doesn't trump big samples against a variety of teams for the purposes of team evaluation.

Really? You mean that how a team plays in the playoffs can be valuable? Wow, that's quite the concession coming from you, are you feeling OK? :laugh::laugh:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Aho/Point/Rantanen do way better than Marner when the games matter most
Except they don't. Playoffs just provide vastly different opportunities. In the past 3 years, the Leafs have faced the 1st, 3rd, and 1st best defensive teams in the league in the playoffs, and some great goaltenders, while getting the least PP time of any team in the playoffs.

Aho in contrast, just put up a bunch of points against the single worst defensive team in the league, by far, and a 38 year old goalie who just had a horrible season, while getting over 4 minutes of PP TOI/GP, and suddenly he's a god.

Reactions: Gallagbi

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Except they don't. Playoffs just provide vastly different opportunities. In the past 3 years, the Leafs have faced the 1st, 3rd, and 1st best defensive teams in the league in the playoffs, and some great goaltenders, while getting the least PP time of any team in the playoffs.

Aho in contrast, just put up a bunch of points against the single worst defensive team in the league, by far, and a 38 year old goalie who just had a horrible season, while getting over 4 minutes of PP TOI/GP, and suddenly he's a god.
yes Aho still playing, point per game against Boston as well. looked good last night as well, very good player.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think the big takeaway here is “other players accomplishments don’t matter because they’re not Leafs.”

Carolina made the conference finals? Pfft. They’re just lucky they didn’t play Boston in the first round.

Aho scores points against the Rangers? They won a lottery! How good can they be?

Point scores goals in the playoffs? Have you seen who he plays with?

Rantanen and the Avs won a playoff round? Have you seen Dave Rittich/Mike Smith?

Barzal and the Islanders swept the Penguins? Impossible!

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I think the big takeaway here is “other players accomplishments don’t matter because they’re not Leafs.”
Carolina made the conference finals? Pfft. They’re just lucky they didn’t play Boston in the first round.
Aho scores points against the Rangers? They won a lottery! How good can they be?
Point scores goals in the playoffs? Have you seen who he plays with?
Rantanen and the Avs won a playoff round? Have you seen Dave Rittich/Mike Smith?
Barzal and the Islanders swept the Penguins? Impossible!
The big takeaway is don't ignore crucial context and only consider small sample sizes when comparing players.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Nobody said he wasn't a good player.

In your estimation, what kind of things would Aho need to do to surpass Marner in the NHL aside from actual accomplishments? What kind of context is Aho missing? Would he need to play hockey in a blue sweater? Would that help?

Reactions: rubous

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
And that sample size would probably be determined by you, right?
Are you denying the importance of sample sizes? Do you think 3-5 games is an appropriate sample size? Do you think who a team is playing against is irrelevant? I don't really get your point.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Are you denying the importance of sample sizes? Do you think 3-5 games is an appropriate sample size? Do you think who a team is playing against is irrelevant? I don't really get your point.

The problem is you tend to use “sample size” rather arbitrarily to suit your own preferences.

It’s fine to have preferences as a fan but come off the scientific methodology angle like you’re rigorously conducting research.

Aho and Marner have played the same number of playoff games, have a similar number of career playoff points and Aho and the Hurricanes are 3-1 in playoff and play-in rounds and the Leafs are 0-4 in the same sample size and time frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad