So what now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
You know what is truly disappointing? To watch teams that were behind us in the rebuild, not have as much offensive talent, and generally have a mediocre roster, advance farther in the playoffs than us. Vancouver, NYI, Montreal, Arizona, Carolina etc are not more talented than we are. But they do play as a team, and have a goalie who will steal them a series from time to time.

We have way too much money invested in 4 players, offensively skilled, who for whatever reason do not have the heart to pull us through a series. To have 40 mill invested in offensive talent and be scoreless in 2 of a best of 5 is disturbing. We have to find a way to balance the money allocated to the roster. If that means moving one of the four, then it has to be done. Defensively, even though we were ok against an average offensive team like Columbus, we are a train wreck. We have a true #2 in Rielly and #3 in Muzzin. Everyone else is either a #5 or #6 or ECHL calibre.

I was a kid when we won the last Stanley Cup, barely remember it, but we haven't even sniffed a bloody final in all the years since. Tragic.

mikeo1

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver
I’d argue Vancouver is more talented than us. They also managed their cap better and didn’t get rid of key older players for high priced UFA replacements.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
How about you just stop speaking for other people? If you want to discuss something with me, then discuss it, not me.

Since you can't show where I said that I "don't want to discuss anything" with you because I never said that, just admit you were wrong and we can move on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I’d argue Vancouver is more talented than us. They also managed their cap better and didn’t get rid of key older players for high priced UFA replacements.

Maybe Carolina as well. I think talent is hard to measure and maybe it's also not as important as some people think. I mean if a team has a ton of talent and keeps losing, how important can it be?

Reactions: Buds17

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
You know what is truly disappointing? To watch teams that were behind us in the rebuild, not have as much offensive talent, and generally have a mediocre roster, advance farther in the playoffs than us. Vancouver, NYI, Montreal, Arizona, Carolina etc are not more talented than we are. But they do play as a team, and have a goalie who will steal them a series from time to time.

We have way too much money invested in 4 players, offensively skilled, who for whatever reason do not have the heart to pull us through a series. To have 40 mill invested in offensive talent and be scoreless in 2 of a best of 5 is disturbing. We have to find a way to balance the money allocated to the roster. If that means moving one of the four, then it has to be done. Defensively, even though we were ok against an average offensive team like Columbus, we are a train wreck. We have a true #2 in Rielly and #3 in Muzzin. Everyone else is either a #5 or #6 or ECHL calibre.

I was a kid when we won the last Stanley Cup, barely remember it, but we haven't even sniffed a bloody final in all the years since. Tragic.

It's not a coincidence that the only Leaf teams that have made the Conference Finals since then had heart, grit, and great goaltending.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON

I think we have good talent but somehow we managed to pick out the heartless gutless ones

Reactions: CabanaBoy5

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Messier, Anderson, Tikkanen, Lowe and Smith aren't one dimensional finesse players to name a few...they play with grit and hunger...Wayne is more gifted and has more passion for the sport than the entire Leafs roster...and you could almost create a Hall of Fame line-up from those rosters. Let's not compare this Leaf team to those Oilers dynasty teams.
that is why i said "sort of",,,they chose to try to out gun their opponents,,like the leafs are trying and failing at.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
You'd be hard pressed to find the "pest grinder" the Oilers had in Linseman and Tikkanen, the power forwards like Mark Messier, Adam Graves, Joe Murphy, the defensive defensemen like Huddy, Lowe on Toronto.
yes,, but it still parallels the leafs in the sense that it was about out gunning the other team

that is why i put "sort of "

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
After my 3 month ban for, as far as I can tell, absolutely nothing, I just thought I'd check in and say all the talk about goaltending and defense I saw after the Columbus loss makes no sense to me. Our defense and goalie didn't let us down, our offense did. Get all the stud D's and new goalies you want: if you can't score goals you can't win.

With the exception of Matthews and Hyman, who were phenomenal IMO, I would entertain trades for every single forward on this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad