So... What Is Gauthier Exactly?

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
Before we jump on the goat, let's consider how much he has improved from this time last year. Sure, while he may not be something to write home about, he has been adequate in his role and pay range.

While his skating has improved considerably, he will need to continue to improve his acceleration if he wishes to add more physicality to his game without being caught out of position all the time. If he accomplishes this, he will be a very effective in his role.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
It's not hard to project pre-entry draft what players will play with an edge but not sure why we don't make it a requirement and make "tough to play against" a team trademark instead of "soft and easy to play against".

Reactions: Magic Man

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Before we jump on the goat, let's consider how much he has improved from this time last year. Sure, while he may not be something to write home about, he has been adequate in his role and pay range.

While his skating has improved considerably, he will need to continue to improve his acceleration if he wishes to add more physicality to his game without being caught out of position all the time. If he accomplishes this, he will be a very effective in his role.

How much improvement can one realistically expect from a soon to be 24 year old - especially regarding a physical aspect of his game?

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
I think people spend too much time thinking about Goat. Of course he's not very good in the NHL and I would love if he had a meaner edge, but at his salary range he's an adequate 4th line centre option for a team that has as much top end talent as the Leafs have. If you want to keep Tavares and Matthews, and especially if you want to keep a guy of Kadri's ability and salary as our 3rd line centre, than we'll have to get used to a guy of Goat's calibre playing on the 4th line. Ideally he could be used more on the PK (he's not a bad option there already, but I think they want a better skating and quicker PK to play more aggressively) to free up the more skilled players for a heavier 5-5 load.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
A stop gate for Babcock until he gets the utility centre he wants. Luke Glendening is who I think hes wanted for awhile. Faceoff man to start the PK too...instead of using Hyman or Goat against a Bergeron.

I say just get him, his contract sucks but find a way, cause Babcock will keep using those 2 to take those key draws and while I am one of the few who still think hes a good coach, you gotta give him that player to save him from himself.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Gauthier represents a waste of a late 1st round draft pick. A real shame really.

Now, if he had been a late 2nd, or better yet, a 3rd rounder, he'd be considered a decent pick.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
Gauthier represents a waste of a late 1st round draft pick. A real shame really.

Now, if he had been a late 2nd, or better yet, a 3rd rounder, he'd be considered a decent pick.
Gauthier was supposed to be the “safe pick” everyone basically had his ceiling and floor as an NHL 4th liner at his draft as long as his skating didn’t hold him back

Reactions: Its not your fault

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York

With the great leaps he’s had with Barb so far I wouldn’t doubt it if his skating becomes more rounded out.

Reactions: FieldOfDreams

PemIceKing

Dec 23, 2011

He’s cheap. He is pretty consistent in his game. If not 4thc, then a 13th is fine. Cheap.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Gauthier was supposed to be the “safe pick” everyone basically had his ceiling and floor as an NHL 4th liner at his draft as long as his skating didn’t hold him back
Could have had Shea Theodore instead. :dunno:

Reactions: StevenB

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Nothing special. Hes a fringe 4th line center and hopefully with a better coach he doesn't see the ice. I'd rather us ice 11 forwards and 7 dmen if we can't get a better 4th line center.

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Its incredible. But it shows human nature. If this guy, who has some NHL skills. Skating, draws etc. ... had even a bit of a mean streak. He would be a main feature, in the circus, NHL.

But alas, the creature, has no mean streak.

I dunno why, but I like the guy, but he is fodder for the minors, cause of his lack of a mean streak.

Good luck to you bro..... You didn't become mean, just because you had to.

You stayed true to yourself.

horner

May 22, 2007
Love Freddie s work ethic
Compete
He has improved alot.

But

He is not physical enough for the fourth line.
He is not grt on the face of dot .
Can't pk

You need a 4th line center to good on the face of dot and pk. Being physical would be nice.

horner

May 22, 2007
For the amount of minutes Freddie played .
I would have double shifted Mathews and Taveras
Another 4 minutes a game won't kill them.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
Even people call him "Goat" extremely agitated me to the point I want to reaxhvthrough my iPad and strangle someone.

The GOAT is because of the first part of his last name GAUT, not because he is the Greatest of all Time. Why are people so confused by his nickname?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad