So... What Is Gauthier Exactly?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
False narrative. His hits per 60 were 1st amongst Leafs' forwards this season. He also isn't a poor skater. He couldn't be more defensively responsible.

Skill is his major issue. It's below the level of most 4th line centers. He needs to spend the summer doing nothing but skill enhancing drills. If only he could shoot better.

I've never seen hits as a reliable stat. And he did next to nothing in the playoffs and a guy like that has to make some kind of statement

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
False narrative. His hits per 60 were 1st amongst Leafs' forwards this season. He also isn't a poor skater. He couldn't be more defensively responsible.

Skill is his major issue. It's below the level of most 4th line centers. He needs to spend the summer doing nothing but skill enhancing drills. If only he could shoot better.
he actually has a very powerful shot, but, only if shooting at a barn, as he cannot hit the net at all.

Reactions: JustAShadow

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I've never seen hits as a reliable stat. And he did next to nothing in the playoffs and a guy like that has to make some kind of statement

What I will grant is that he's too passive one-on-one defending. Away from the boards he resorts to reaching in with his stick instead of getting in closer on the body of his opponent.

Regarding the playoffs, he was a wash with the Bruins' 4th line over the course of the series. That's all we can (should) expect out of the 4th line going forward with the top heavy contracts this team is going to be carrying.

Expecting Bobby Holik performance from a league minimum player is kind of unfair.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
He's a cheap, big, solid 4th line center.

Nothing happens when he's on the ice generally, so that's good for a 4th liner. He's good defensively and has little offensive ability. I don't want to see too much of him in big games, but I'm happy with him being on this team.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
Another guy in a long line of over hyped players by Leaf fans. Wasn't he called Freddy the Goat and a lot of fans thought he was the next best thing.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Pros:
-wins faceoffs
-defensively minded
-nothing happens when he is out there

Cons:
-doesn’t use his size
-can’t shutdown scoring lines
-nothing happens when he is out there

He won’t amount to much if he doesn’t figure out that he can be so much more if he can balance his size with his defensively-gifted mind.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
We just had a 7 gamer series and lost

as best as i can see,,,,,, The Goats line did NOT give up 1 single GAG ALL series

not one goal against all series

geezus H FFF ,,,what do want want from a 4th line C that is paid the league minimum????????????

In 51:52 minutes of ice time over the series, 1 goal for, 0 goals against. The 4th line did its job.

Reactions: Jeffrey Pedler

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
A solid 4th liner who plays minimal minutes under the right coach. Wouldn't want him seeing too many minutes in an elimination game though, but what coach would be dumb enough to play him in that kind of situation?

SlpLessInMuskoka18

Aug 13, 2018
I can't even put into words how much I hate that Babcock plays his line after every goal we score... its just the most insane thing I've ever witnessed.

Reactions: HomerJLeafs

julray

Mar 4, 2015
This thread doesn't make sense.. we are comparing a 4th line to one of, if not the best two way center in the NHL. Take any 4th line center and compare to Bergeron, same result.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Id like a 4th line that could kill penalties or play as a shut down line. Ours just seems to be a quick energy boost line.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I actually don't mind the Goat as a 4th line defensive center. Though I don't think he was a good match with our 4th line wingers this year. If we had some big 4th line wingers who played a heavy game, I think he would work well there.

I would love a 4th line where we had three 6"5 guys who threw the body and were defensively responsible.

Reactions: julray

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
He kills penalties
lol yeah I guess I should've been a little more clear since this is the Gauthier thread not a 4th line thread.....but yeah I want that whole 4th line to be able to kill penalties as their main task. Free up others to score.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Id like a 4th line that could kill penalties or play as a shut down line. Ours just seems to be a quick energy boost line.

umm they did play a shut down role

did you know they did not give up 1 single even strength goal against ALL series?

not bad for 3 guys being paid the league minimum.

Reactions: Jeffrey Pedler

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Rookie 4th line center. Keep him and save our future 2nd round picks.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I'd like to think we could do better for 4C. But I don't want to pay anything in terms of cap space or trade assets, so maybe he'll suffice. 4C is not an area where we can afford to splurge even a little.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad