So... What Is Gauthier Exactly?

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
He's probably exactly what a 4th liner on this team should be? I guess? Big guy, young, lowest salary you can find in the NHL. He's replaceable at a similar cost. With this teams current centre depth, they really shouldn't care who the 4th line guy is because he should be getting 5-7 minutes a night on a cheap deal.

*I should stress this is the mindset at least for next seasons cap crunch.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
He doesn't hurt the team and is well liked.

Anyone with a bone to pick about Frederick Gauthier is a f***ing moron, of all the issues and possible complaints one could have about this team, the 4C getting paid league minimum shouldn't be amongst your top 20.

CarterD

Dec 20, 2018
I actually like Gauthier and think of him as a prospect of sorts. I think everyone can agree that Goats year was actually a decent one. Less falling down, was a bit more physical and actually backchecked.

The reason for this? He learned how to skate and worked his a** off in the summer and I expect him to do the same thing again. He's a hard worker who loves hockey. If he continues to improve his skating all facets of his game will improve, he doesn't use his body because he isn't stable enough on his feet.

Another thing people should keep in mind is he's only 23, while not young, he isn't exactly old either. I want tonsee another full year out of Gauthier (Provided he improves next year as much as he did this year.) He's cheap which is exactly what we need.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I didn't like him the last 2 years but honestly I liked him down the stretch and in the playoffs. I can see him turning into a softer Boyle if he works on getting his shot off faster. His foot speed just reached "good enough" levels this season, there might be some more he can squeeze out of that training.

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
He's a solid 4th line centre, who has improved his skating vastly to become great at puck support. With speedy wingers like Ennis & Moore, he is the perfect defensive conscious with an active stick, and also an offensive support, getting in the right position to keep the cycle/forecheck going.

But he does this at a 4th line level. This is the type of player that he is, but he's never going to be able to do this head to head against other team's top six. What he can do is support Toronto's speedy, skilled wingers in the bottom six.

Not a perfect 4th line centre, but definitely not a problem on this team, or something that absolutely needs to be upgraded upon.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
We just had a 7 gamer series and lost

as best as i can see,,,,,, The Goats line did NOT give up 1 single GAG ALL series

not one goal against all series

geezus H FFF ,,,what do want want from a 4th line C that is paid the league minimum????????????

He was a corpse on skates. His wingers played great. GOAT takes the shortest shifts of any player I have ever seen and couldn't get off the ice quick enough. He still falls once a shift. IF he would ever finish a check with bad intentions, stick up for a team mate, get a few more shots on net he could be useful. Trade him to Detroit for Glendening and have Detroit retain the salary difference. Maybe Detroit buys into some upside and youth???

Reactions: noway

Luminiferous

Oct 11, 2018
I have always liked him. He was ALWAYS a work in progress. As others have said, if you want to bitch and cry, look elsewhere. Outside of " he would be a hell of a player if he tossed a hit" there is not really much people can say. It's comical. The Leafs pay him league minimum, hope he progresses( like he has up until now) and fans should keep quiet.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Solid 4C with upside. Wins draws, very smart, works hard, forechecks well, defensively responsible. That's why Nonis drafted him.

No 4C handles Bergeron. If he did, he could put up 20 points and still make 5 times what he's making now. I do think he faces off against higher QoC next year though.

Gauthier could get to 20 points next year, and that would make him an above average 4C with everything else he provides.

mikeo1

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver
His skating is actualy pretty good.
What is he? A fourth line centre that’l never be asked to play more than 10 minutes a game. A waste of a draft pick, but at his current salary he’s fine.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
A borderline NHL'er.

May as well get used to seeing players of his ilk.

With soon to be 3 players making in excess of $10M/year, we're only going to be able to afford minimum wage depth players.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
A borderline NHL'er.

May as well get used to seeing players of his ilk.

With soon to be 3 players making in excess of $10M/year, we're only going to be able to afford minimum wage depth players.

The best depth players on this team were some of the lowest paid guys, the worst were some the worst ere among the highest paid. Faulty to presume that higher money means better quality players.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
umm they did play a shut down role

did you know they did not give up 1 single even strength goal against ALL series?

not bad for 3 guys being paid the league minimum.

Hard to get scored on when youre rarely on the ice but I get your point. Is it that hard to believe I think we could use an upgrade here?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
It's actually something that the 4th line holds its own against a good opponent's 4th line and Gauthier isn't soft but he isn't hard either. I still get the desire for some snarl on the 4th line. Not being a liability is good for a 4th line but a 4th that's a royal pain and a line your opponent doesn't want on the ice against its better lines is most ideal.

soybean

May 29, 2009
He's what I'd expect from a 4C; good on draws, responsible in D-zone, not a terrible liability and is a good cap hit. Yes, he's so, so, slow and honestly, who expects a 4th liner to produce a ton of offence? I think some of the frustration with him is he was a 1st round draft pick but when you look up the 2013 draft, it ain't so bad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad