So, Teams from Canada might not suck this year???

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I would think that Vancouver, Ottawa, and Ottawa will fall as the season gets longer.

GA Edmonton 22nd, Vancouver 18th, Ottawa 25th,
GF Edmonton 22nd, Ottawa 4th, Vancouver 8th

Pk Edmonton 26 Ottawa 17th Vancouver 6th
PP Edmonton 4th, Ottawa 10th, Vancouver 13

GF/GA diff Edmon -4, Vancouver + 3, Ott +2

Anderson in Ottawa has a .925 svpct, Talbot a .895 svpct, Van has Nilson playing 3 games and a .943 svpct.

Edmonton is really subpar except their pp, but if it slides from the 30% efficiency they don't have much else supporting their game except for McDavid, Talbot is still not great and they need him to be great to make the playoffs.

Ottawa is scoring at a good rate and getting great goaltending.

Vancouver looks the most solid of the teams that were suppossed to struggle, but I still think that their lack of depth will catch up.

Kirk Mclean

Jan 30, 2013
Vancouver
Canucks start decent every year but then a bunch of important players get injured and the wheels fall off. Not suggesting they’re a playoff team if they stayed relatively healthy but it would be nice to see what a season of their better players playing at least most of the season would look like.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Canucks start decent every year but then a bunch of important players get injured and the wheels fall off. Not suggesting they’re a playoff team if they stayed relatively healthy but it would be nice to see what a season of their better players playing at least most of the season would look like.
sadly, kind of already happened again with Petterssen

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I hate this whole Canadian team crap.

Most Canadian teams fans hate the other Canadian team.

But the media drives it down our throats as if we’re one team and fighting for the cup!

There’s world tournaments Olympic s world juniors several tournaments for that. I hate when they do that and lump them together or act like they are the only teams that matter.

Bettman sure hopes so!

Why is this even a thing? You do realize the ultimate irony is Gary Bettman actually is actually pleasers with teams in Canada, added another one and if the game wasn’t in the southern states they wouldn’t have the lucrative tv deals.

He’s by far the best commissioner the NHL ever had but people just love spreading this propaganda Bettman hates Canada like it’s a fact.,

Reactions: McRpro

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN

While I am pleased your rational enough to not suggest they would no doubt be a playoff team and Vancouver is one of the top few teams in man games lost over last few seasons almost every team has a number of injuries every season. Look at all the stating goalies out right now.

Andersen
Luongo
Quick
Crawford
Schneider
Murray
Darling
Smith?

It goes on....

So at lesst you can live with that fact that every team gets hut.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I hate this whole Canadian team crap.

Most Canadian teams fans hate the other Canadian team.

But the media drives it down our throats as if we’re one team and fighting for the cup!

There’s world tournaments Olympic s world juniors several tournaments for that. I hate when they do that and lump them together or act like they are the only teams that matter.

Why is this even a thing? You do realize the ultimate irony is Gary Bettman actually is actually pleasers with teams in Canada, added another one and if the game wasn’t in the southern states they wouldn’t have the lucrative tv deals.

He’s by far the best commissioner the NHL ever had but people just love spreading this propaganda Bettman hates Canada like it’s a fact.,
typically, more Canadian teams = less US ratings...the more teams from Canada that make the playoffs, the less the game gets attention in the US as well as the loss of markets that they covet for their NBC deal...which is why Bettman would hope some of these teams from Canada bottom out...I don't mind Bettman unlike most, he has done a good enough job for this games growth compared to the previous dildos running things.

member 298589

Serious question - is anyone aware of a professional or near-professional team named after a player? Not a beer league team is what I mean.

Bands are often named in such a manner, but I would think Edmonton should really be called the McDavids as has been noted before.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I think Toronto could miss the postseason. They really need to improve their D.

Edmonton could be hit or miss. God knows with them.

Winnipeg I expect to be near the top of their standings.

Canucks, Sens, & Habs will all tank at some point.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Looking at their division, and their oversimplified, underrated group surrounding Connor, they should still make the playoffs unless there are several key injuries again.

We shall see. You cannot say this group is underrated though unless they bounce back. I can see them going either way. Too much depends on young guys stepping up on the wings but obviously Talbot is the main question.

DictatorTots427

Apr 8, 2018
Only Toronto Winnipeg and maybe Calgary will compete for a playoff spot. Ottawa and Montreal are just off to a good start

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
The Flames have a pretty overhauled team.

New #3 dman.
New top line RW.
4 new players in the bottom six.
2 new bottom 3 defensemen.
New coach.

They also have lots of depth and are constantly shuffling players up and down the lineup.

Don't know if it'll hold up, but it's fantastic hockey to watch so far and they've been hanging with some top teams too.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
We shall see. You cannot say this group is underrated though unless they bounce back. I can see them going either way. Too much depends on young guys stepping up on the wings but obviously Talbot is the main question.

I don't disagree that there are question marks. Especially Talbot. I just think that a year with everything going wrong but still finishing above 8 teams in the league isn't "proof that they're a bad team".

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
I knew Ottawa wouldn't be last. They may end up bottom 3 but I never thought they'd be last.

I initially had Vancouver battling for the wild card but held back on that prediction because I didn't think their goaltending was adequate. We'll see if he maintains.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
All of the Canadian teams are doing much better, and Edmonton still sucks.
The Edmontonians are loath to accept this though, here's my favourite example:

This week McDavid broke a record for being in on more of his team's first 10 goals of the season than any player before. Edmonton media sources were lauding this great achievement. Meanwhile, McDavid was trying to very calmly explain to the microphone jabbed into his face why this wasn't exactly a record to be proud of and that he does not see this as a noteworthy achievement. The screaming media fans were quick to lump on additional praise: "he's so humble, he can't even accept breaking records, what a godly player..."
They simply cannot understand why McDavid doesn't like this record- it points out that the team behind him is mostly useless garbage.
Still a brighter future than the fLames lol.
Go hang out on Calgarypuck with all the other smart guys from cow town.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
shhhhhhh they have like 6 lines worth of first line players guys and like 4 number 1 D's.

Reactions: 780il

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

And it wont be long before Valimaki and Andersson are top pairing studs too. Oh, and Bennett will finally break out this year, just wait on it.....

You need to calm your shit lol. Weren't you guys suppose to win the cup last year? Now is not the time to start getting arrogant, especially with the sample size. Be happy with the good start, but the oilers have a long way to go before the playoffs.

Also, valimaki and andersson have looked great this year :thumbu:

3rd Sedin

Dec 15, 2010
Vancouver
Serious question - is anyone aware of a professional or near-professional team named after a player? Not a beer league team is what I mean.

Bands are often named in such a manner, but I would think Edmonton should really be called the McDavids as has been noted before.

Cleveland Browns - Jim Brown

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
I’m pumping the breaks on most of these teams especially Montreal, Ottawa and Vancouver.

Vancouvers defence and goaltending isn’t good. And Montreal and Ottawa are going to have a real hard time scoring goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad