So, Teams from Canada might not suck this year???

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
that's great, they still look like ****

Shaky start, but they're getting better every game. Absolutely brutal schedule to start. They'll be fine, but to some like you, the first 10 days of the season are a lock for how the rest of the season will play out. Might as well stop watching now until the playoffs right? Everything is set!

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I don't get this mass fixation on knocking Edmonton. The club had a disappointing season last year -- get over it. (Their 4-game road trip to start this season was, by any reasonable standard, a success.) They're going to be much better this year than last year.

Vancouver will crash and burn soon. They won't make the playoffs unless hell freezes over or Edmonton becomes tropical.

Calgary could go either way. As the Pacific/West is not as strong at the moment, they have a definite playoff chance. I can't really predict anything with confidence.

I expect a slight regression from Winnipeg, as compared to last year. But they'll easily make the playoffs.

Toronto are off to a hot start with sparkling offense, but offense wasn't their problem last year. Expect a slow-down, but they'll also easily make the playoffs.

Ottawa won't have a very good season, though if they can find their new identity during this year, they can surprise some teams.

Montreal is the one club that seems a legitimate surprise-team. I get the impression they might be for real, and may have a decent season.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Montreal's Defense is underrated IMO. Reilly and Petry are playing the best hockey of their lives. They are both mobile and have good vision/passing ability. Same goes for Mete, but he's a bit younger and can still get out muscle in the corners. Juulsen has been impressive, great physical attributes and willingness to play though. Ouellet is a capable bottom pairing D, he still does mistakes but nothing major. Once Weber gets back, Benn is most probably the odd man out.

Reilly - Weber
Mete - Petry
Ouellet - Juulsen

Alzner goes through waivers and will be buyout in the summer if he isn't claimed.

They'll most likely just miss the playoffs, but the team doesn't look as bad as many people thought!

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
What a turn around a year makes - well sorry Edmonton lol...

It is pretty early on but you can certainly see a few teams from Canada are really looking good out there.

Ottawa has to be the biggest surprise, they just look so fast out there, Lajoie and Chabot look like legit top pair talents out there...Tkachuk has been as impressive as any rookie can be right now (sucks for the injury but hopefully no more than a month)...their depth guys have stepped up as Tierney and Smith have looked real good, and Stone hasn't really even started scoring yet. Plus they have some real good kids ready to come up in Wolanin, Balcers, Brown, etc.. Ottawa might be a bubble playoff team this year, very very few even dreamed that.

Vancouver has a lot going on that Ottawa does. The kids are stepping up and taking roles like Petterrsen, Horvat and Boeser. They have guys like Sutter and Ericksson playing solid hockey, and anything I have ever said negatively about Edler- I take it back, that dude is a stud!! I am not sure they have the depth to get through the grind, but they have been entertaining as well and have kids like Gaudette ready to step up too.

Montreal is a team that....I honestly can't explain. I have no idea how they are winning games with the roster they have, but the team is so quick and hustles most nights, they simply are outworking their opponents. They have some talent here as Byron and Gallagher are two very underrated players, Tatar seems to be the find of the year and Drouin finally might be figuring things out. Kotkaniemi has been real good though nothing spectacular, but overall the team just looks good out there...also Mike Reilly has been very solid on the point too..and they have that Carey Price guy too...

Calgary and Winnipeg are both teams I expected to make the playoffs and neither are letting that down though Winnipeg is taking its sweet time to really get rolling here. I expect both teams to be in the playoffs this year as they are well balanced groups.

Almost every team from Canada is playing better than last year.....and oh yeah, forgot about the Leafs....no I didn't, don't want to talk about them, this is for the other teams lol... But so far so good for ALL the teams out of Canada this year............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................sorry Edmonton
I’d like to add for Ottawa that Matt Duchene is playing simply outstanding, world class all-around hockey.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
It was probably wrong to expect them to suck in the first place. Edmonton, Montreal, and Ottawa were the bottom three in combo of special teams last year, and those results tend to be very volatile from year to year, especially with assistant coaching changes Montreal and Edmonton had this summer. Montreal and Edmonton are closer to middle of the pack teams than bottom feeders. Ottawa could have seen a bounce back but between the injuries and the trades it's hard to imagine them finishing much higher.

2 top 10 teams, 3 middle 10 teams (Montreal, Edmonton, Calgary), 2 bottom 10/11 teams (Vancouver, Ottawa) is what I expect.

pomx

May 15, 2014
Sorry Oilers?

They're 2-2 from a road trip and one of the hardest schedules to start a season that we've seen in a while. You're not funny.
You expect McDavid to carry that sorry of a team every night?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
You expect McDavid to carry that sorry of a team every night?

If anyone can, the best player since Lemieux has a chance to.

Hockey is a team sport and there’s no guarantees but McDavid can take over a game when he goes McJesus mode in a way no one else can.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Thread seems sincere:sarcasm:
actually is, happy for some of these franchises that were getting torched by HF experts all off season long. not a fan of any of the lotto teams in particular (Jets are my #2 team though), but good to see the teams looking like they do...it isn't just the wins vs loses, these teams actually look good out there.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
If anyone can, the best player since Lemieux has a chance to.

Hockey is a team sport and there’s no guarantees but McDavid can take over a game when he goes McJesus mode in a way no one else can.
I just don't think they look remotely good. they are a -4 in goal differential in only 4 games this year, that is pretty bad stuff...I watched 3 of their games on NHL Network so far, outside of McDavid this team is in big trouble. They seem like a team that has more talent to be a bottom feeder, but I thought the same last year and IMO very little has improved since then. I do love Ty Rattie, so hoping he does well this year, same with Yamamoto.

Duffalufagus

Jan 4, 2017
You expect the entire team to be awful for the next 78 games?
They just don't have the talent. The D is awful and the goaltending looks soft again. Mcdavid is a God, but he can't overcome the glaring holes throughout that lineup. That bottom 6 is also putrid.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
I just don't think they look remotely good. they are a -4 in goal differential in only 4 games this year, that is pretty bad stuff...I watched 3 of their games on NHL Network so far, outside of McDavid this team is in big trouble. They seem like a team that has more talent to be a bottom feeder, but I thought the same last year and IMO very little has improved since then. I do love Ty Rattie, so hoping he does well this year, same with Yamamoto.
Bruins were -7 after only 1 game this year

don't know why they bothered playing their other games

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Bruins were -7 after only 1 game this year

don't know why they bothered playing their other games

If we’re looking at tiny sample sizes make it -10 for Bruins in the first game and game last night combined against the Flames.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
goal differential after 4 games?

I don't think so tim.

I also think the oilers look really bad

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
RNH, Draisaitl, Nurse, Klefbom, Larrson, Talbot?(maybe)

Throw in Mcdavid in the mix and that's not a terrible list of talent. At least not bottom 10 level. Don't get me wrong, i am not that optimistic, but they are a bubble team at best, at worst, maybe they finish in the top 20.

I am more nervous how Chia can Eff up the team and make it even worse, hes still not fired, that's scary.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
goal differential after 4 games?

I don't think so tim.

I also think the oilers look really bad
people are saying they looked good so far - if you think Oilers looked good this year and are a -4 in goal differential, not sure what one would be watching...

the Hawks are a +1 in goal differential and we our absolutely horrific in our own zone...doesn't matter how many games, you can tell right away what team stinks in their own zone and what one doesn't.

Pucklington

Mar 24, 2008
Köln
people are saying they looked good so far - if you think Oilers looked good this year and are a -4 in goal differential, not sure what one would be watching...

the Hawks are a +1 in goal differential and we our absolutely horrific in our own zone...doesn't matter how many games, you can tell right away what team stinks in their own zone and what one doesn't.

You are basically saying you haven't watched them play and are looking at their stats.

Maybe look at the one that shows 4 gp, all on the road, and one in Sweden...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad