Speculation: So now that the season is over...

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Who is really out there if Chia gets turfed? It could be worse of course but for the Oilers to miss the playoffs with the pieces he had to work with, he'd seriously need to work
Mac T. He’s been working hard and learning lots under Chiarelli. Now he’s actually ready to do the job.

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
its super tiring. replacement was such a downer
He had his moments. Him and I had the Ference signing pegged before it even happened. There was nothing to be optimistic about when that signing and subsequent captaincy happened.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Missing my point yet again. Im not defending the opinion that the Oilers are ****ed after 3 games. I am hundred percent against that view. You and I have the same view.

My point is making a knee jerk thread to mock certain posters is so hypocritical and comes off as policing of opinions. There are few posters in this thread who think they are the greatest Oil fans because they come into every thread posting the same "GUYS RELAX" or "TYPICAL HFOIL LOL". It gets just as annoying as the hyperbolic sky is falling crowd.

Oh jeeez. Relax. Everyone knows that I'm the greatest Oil fan, so your post is a complete non starter.

Typical HFer here folks. :loony:

Did I do dat rite?

:naughty:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Things to look forward to this winter, Eskimos playoffs (probably), that Canada v. US women's game, Oilkings look entertaining and ice castle.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Good one.

So much for attacking the posts and not the posters.

I guess when there’s a lot of knee jerk reactions or hyperbolic statements I can’t critique those.

The Ottawa game is depressing. I'd much rather hear Tad whine.

Please continue. :D

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Meh, I didn’t want to spend $7k on playoff tickets this year anyways. Got a kid getting married soon...

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
This is what you get when your GM can't evaluate young talent and your coach can't motivate it. We're in for literal years of this **** if things remain as they are.

Who is really out there if Chia gets turfed?

There's not only a GM who has won two Cups that's available, but also a head coach. In fact, they did it together- and know what it takes to build a team that can not only the survive the West but go all the way.

Unfortunately, we'll never see them here. Our fortunes rely on the guy who thought Jonas Gustavsson and Chris Kelly were answers to pressing roster needs and a coach who can't figure out how to use a generational talent. In other words, we're ****ed.

Reactions: DaGap

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Mac T. He’s been working hard and learning lots under Chiarelli. Now he’s actually ready to do the job.

We should do Howson first. Then MacT after that. Then maybe Lowe can give it another shot. Our GM future is pretty planned out for the next 10+ years if we play it smart.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Honestly, what would be the harm in hiring Sutter and Lombardi? We know they can deliver. We know they have built deep, physical teams around a core of an elite 1C, 2C, 1D and 1G. We also know they're good at drafting and developing talent.

Perhaps most importantly, we also know they're skilled at playing the sort of contract games necessary to be more than a flash in the pan. We all hated how Lombardi got rid of Richards' deal even after choosing not to use an amnesty buyout on him, but at the end of the day, it worked.

Unfortunately, by the time Katz wises up, it will be 2020 or later and both will long be off the market. I just don't know how he can look at a coach and GM group with 1 Cup and one Finals between them and think they're the ticket.

Reactions: McDrai

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
The fact of the matter is that Chia failed to make any improvements to the team in the offseason and was banking too much on players repeating career years as well as players to step into roles that are above their capabilities (see Caggiula, Slepyshev, Benning, Russell, etc).
I think if we do in fact miss the playoffs it falls on his shoulders and not the coach imo

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
Honestly, what would be the harm in hiring Sutter and Lombardi? We know they can deliver. We know they have built deep, physical teams around a core of an elite 1C, 2C, 1D and 1G. We also know they're good at drafting and developing talent.

Perhaps most importantly, we also know they're skilled at playing the sort of contract games necessary to be more than a flash in the pan. We all hated how Lombardi got rid of Richards' deal even after choosing not to use an amnesty buyout on him, but at the end of the day, it worked.

Unfortunately, by the time Katz wises up, it will be 2020 or later and both will long be off the market. I just don't know how he can look at a coach and GM group with 1 Cup and one Finals between them and think they're the ticket.

So you think the GM and Coach should both be fired after 4 games. When has that ever happened?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

This is a terrible lineup for Sutter's system.

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
Agreed, but that's what Lombardi is for. He has never had any hesitation in making trades that reshape his club's identity. So long as he and the coach were on the same page, you'd see a makeover pretty quickly IMO.

So blow it all up and start over again. After 4 games...

No one wants to be a part of an organization that will turn their back on you and curb stomp you the minute you lose a couple of games.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
So you think the GM and Coach should both be fired after 4 games. When has that ever happened?

TMac never should have been hired in the first place, so this is a better late than never thing. Chia is entering Year 3 of total control with a generational talent, and has somehow managed to ice a roster that is worse than last year's. It would be seen as rash, sure, but speed is of the essence when your window is right now.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Lombardi has been terrible for years, lol. No thanks to Sutter, that's not the answer here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad