Speculation: So now that the season is over...

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Be concerned when we are in December and losing we are only a week in the season.please wait.
I expressed concern as far back as June that the holes this team had would not be filled and here we are into the season and they have not been filled. I don't expect this team to be perfect but that defense and lack of depth on the right wing is very worrying, especially with Draisatl out who knows how long.

Reactions: McDrai

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
I expressed concern as far back as June that the holes this team had would not be filled and here we are into the season and they have not been filled. I don't expect this team to be perfect but that defense and lack of depth on the right wing is very worrying, especially with Draisatl out who knows how long.

You know bud,you got to realize that we need to let your young players from our system play and see how they do well in the NHL.If they beat Ottawa and go on a streak you will not complain then will you.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
no we are not,Tad has a point but you guys are not listening..
Like I said in another thread, just because you make a statement, doesn't make it true.

You dont get to dictate and shutdown conversation because you deem it to negative or think people arent listening. You havent provided any rebuttal.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You know bud,you got to realize that we need to let your young players from our system play and see how they do well in the NHL.If they beat Ottawa and go on a streak you will not complain then will you.
No I will not. And yes I understand that you have to let your young players play but if you drown them then it doesn't help them at all. Anyone could've seen Benning on the second pairing being a disaster. You let your young players play while having some backup in case they falter. I could forgive not bringing in a RW because wingers are easier to replace but not bringing in a stopgap D is something I simply don't understand. Gryba should not be getting a regular shift.

Chia's plan should've been to bring in a few stopgaps while letting the young players play reasonable positions and minutes. If his solution to the RW problem was KY and/or JP that's a little concerning. Neither looks like an NHLer right now and that's okay. It's perfectly fine to let them develop in the minors.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
Like I said in another thread, just because you make a statement, doesn't make it true.

You dont get to dictate and shutdown conversation because you deem it to negative or think people arent listening. You havent provided any rebuttal.
No one shutting you down they just want to you guys to calm down.it only been a week.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
No I will not. And yes I understand that you have to let your young players play but if you drown them then it doesn't help them at all. Anyone could've seen Benning on the second pairing being a disaster. You let your young players play while having some backup in case they falter. I could forgive not bringing in a RW because wingers are easier to replace but not bringing in a stopgap D is something I simply don't understand. Gryba should not be getting a regular shift.

Chia's plan should've been to bring in a few stopgaps while letting the young players play reasonable positions and minutes. If his solution to the RW problem was KY and/or JP that's a little concerning. Neither looks like an NHLer right now and that's okay. It's perfectly fine to let them develop in the minors.
It only been a week in the season show a little patients.I think the young guys can show up.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It only been a week in the season show a little patients.I think the young guys can show up.
Look, I can be patient with a lot of things but when the second pairing is getting ventilated by non-playoff teams I think that's really all you need to see. I like Matt Benning a lot, I think he could have a solid career but he doesn't need to play on the second pairing and it's obvious he's not ready for those duties yet.

It's one thing that they lost, but their defense as a whole looked completely overwhelmed by the Jets and the Canucks. Benning/Russell was targeted repeatedly by those teams and the Jets especially completely annihilated them.

Maybe I am being a bit impatient here but the Oilers don't exactly have an easy stretch ahead of them and if they fall too far behind it might be too late. And before you tell me "It's only October", just think how far out of the Flames were and how they had to rattle off 10 straight wins just to barely make the dance.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Depth is important for a team to help negate the negative effects of injuries.

Look at Anaheim. Their defense is maybe slightly worse than ours right now and thats with 2 of their top 3 guys out. If we also had either Klefbom or Larsson out in addition to Sekera theirs would blow ours out of the water.

Look at our right wing depth right now with Draisaitl hurt. Yamamoto, Kassian, Pakarinen and Slepyshev. Thats not a very good set at all.

There is the letting the prospects and the guys in the system come up and fill the spots and prove their worth but our issue is we currently do not have really any NHL ready or close guys to fill these gaps. Which is why some people like Keith were wanting a guy or 2 brought in to help hold the fort while we see what the young guys have and until Sekera comes in.

The sky is not falling, no one is expecting us to be a garbage team. (Yes I said I think we get a total of 10 wins until December but thats because of Sekeras injury and the vast amount of games we play against the East, still think we make playoffs).

The season isn't over and the young guys can still show up however the worry has merit.

I have noticed way more people making fun of people being "chicken little" or saying the sky isn't falling than people wanting Chia fired or saying the season is over. I think I have seen maybe one or two people saying that?

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
I hope the Oilers win tomorrow. because this is getting tiring.I was never a member before but have been reading this site for years.I remmeber a poster named Replacement and it sound like I am reading his post all this week.

Reactions: Declassified

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I hope the Oilers win tomorrow. because this is getting tiring.I was never a member before but have been reading this site for years.I remmeber a poster named Replacement and it sound like I am reading his post all this week.

You know...you are pretty new here. I noticed a pattern with your posting in the short time you have been here. You jump all over posters that you dont agree with...call them names...and tell THEM (many of them long time respected posters) that THEY should leave.
This coming from someone who has been on this board for a grand total of 7 months.

I previously had you on ignore because of this arrogant attitude but took you off of ignore because I feel that everyone deserves an opportunity to voice their opinion.

So take it for what its worth...it might be wise to gear down a bit and instead of rushing to an emotional judgement about a poster (for what they post) maybe try to look at the content of what they are saying and respond to that.
Then you will actually be adding to the discussion.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
You know...you are pretty new here. I noticed a pattern with your posting in the short time you have been here. You jump all over posters that you dont agree with...call them names...and tell THEM (many of them long time respected posters) that THEY should leave.
This coming from someone who has been on this board for a grand total of 7 months.

I previously had you on ignore because of this arrogant attitude but took you off of ignore because I feel that everyone deserves an opportunity to voice their opinion.

So take it for what its worth...it might be wise to gear down a bit and instead of rushing to an emotional judgement about a poster (for what they post) maybe try to look at the content of what they are saying and respond to that.
Then you will actually be adding to the discussion.
but their content is a based on emotion.we need to come down or we will be like replacment.Also I have posted just recently since the last software did not allow me to post.

I do care about people opinion but it is always doom and gloom.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
but their content is a based on emotion.we need to come down or we will be like replacment.Also I have posted just recently since the last software did not allow me to post.

I do care about people opinion but it is always doom and gloom.

The doom and gloom is out there but it really isnt that prevalent IMO. I think it just stands out more.
In any event (in my experience) the best way to deal with it is to address the content and not to flame the person posting it.
If their posts really are based just on emotion then it becomes easy to dismantle their position (with a little logic and common sense) without attacking the poster.
Sometimes though there are elements of truth to whats being posted even if it is negative.
Just saying.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
The doom and gloom is out there but it really isnt that prevalent IMO. I think it just stands out more.
In any event (in my experience) the best way to deal with it is to address the content and not to flame the person posting it.
If their posts really are based just on emotion then it becomes easy to dismantle their position (with a little logic and common sense) without attacking the poster.
Sometimes though there are elements of truth to whats being posted even if it is negative.
Just saying.

I just do not see the elements of truth.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I just do not see the elements of truth.

Maybe thats because you react too quickly (with emotion) and arent giving yourself the time to see them.

In any event...I have said all I am going to say...I dont want to derail this thread.
Cheers.

Reactions: Aerrol

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
Maybe thats because you react too quickly (with emotion) and arent giving yourself the time to see them.

In any event...I have said all I am going to say...I dont want to derail this thread.
Cheers.
I am not posting form reacting I take my time to read everything but they are not very good in their arguments.Just negative ,the team will make the playoffs.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I am not posting form reacting I take my time to read everything but they are not very good in their arguments.Just negative ,the team will make the playoffs.

Like I said...I have said my piece...maybe just try not to be so hostile and dismissive.

leonleonheart

Lurker vet, rookie poster.
May 24, 2014
It's ok guys, now that Draisaitl is hurt we can properly tank for that #2 overall (we used up all our lottery luck).

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I say start tanking. Possibly 6 points behind the Flames by end of the night. She's all over but the crying.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Every year there are bad teams that come out with a head of steam and win a bunch, a good teams/players that start slow

The Oilers will be a great team as things progress.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa

its super tiring. replacement was such a downer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad